Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving from Miami to Los Angeles, seeking; best area to raise family, best areas to rent house/apartment, renting guest house, room, temp agency

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:12 PM

15 posts, read 312,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
If you are looking for somethin temporary, you may want to check craigslist: los angeles classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events there is a section for temporary housing. I don't have children so I can't recommend schools, but from what I understand, Woodland Hills has very good schools. As for the non-profit, documentary companies, there are several Spanish channels here (Gala, Telemundo) that may be able to assist you. There is also a Spanish newspaper that may be of assistance, La Opinion. Good Luck.

Thank you. Craiglist is where I've been looking for only...so if anyone knows about other places to search for apt, studio, rooms etc please send me the links.
As for the Hispanic Channels, here in Miami are the headquarters for the major ones and that's where I've been working all these years...and finally began to mix the news, productions to documentary which is what I am doing ...thanks for your message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
i love kids, too, but it isn't something i would do unless i knew the family, or their situation were VERY desperate. i doubt i'm unusual. i don't understand why you don't want to rent an apartment. if you look around, you can find month-to-month leases, in case you change your mind and decide to return to miami or go wherever. legitimate guest houses are very expensive, and many people will try to rent their illegal garage "apartment" as a guest house, so be careful there.
These are really good advices. Thank you very much...It is a little scary anyway to think that most families would not rent to a mother and her daughter but you may be right...I might go by myself during summer and then bring my daughter later.

The thing is that I wanted to rent and get to know the neighborhood since my arrival in June until the classes start, but I haven't seen in craiglist any good temporary place (not a hotel) to go and stay for two months in Woodland Hills or Santa Clarita.
I have friends, co-workers and some relatives north in CA, but don't want to bother anyone and just want to rent from the beginning...We'll see.
Thanks again, you've been very helpful.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:45 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Since you are coming during the summer your child will be out of school, soi maybe this might work for you: there are some residential hotels in L.A. that might be helpful. There is a nice one in Culver City the Culver hotel. But I don't know what your budget is. The Holiday Inn in Burbank does this as well. In another thread someone mentioned the Oakwood apartments which offer temporary housing in it's "corporate" apartments. A friend was relocating several year ago and got a corporate apartment in Park LaBrea which is very central in L.A.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:57 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossyem View Post
These are really good advices. Thank you very much...It is a little scary anyway to think that most families would not rent to a mother and her daughter but you may be right...I might go by myself during summer and then bring my daughter later.

The thing is that I wanted to rent and get to know the neighborhood since my arrival in June until the classes start, but I haven't seen in craiglist any good temporary place (not a hotel) to go and stay for two months in Woodland Hills or Santa Clarita.
I have friends, co-workers and some relatives north in CA, but don't want to bother anyone and just want to rent from the beginning...We'll see.
Thanks again, you've been very helpful.
short-term rentals come in three types, none of which seem ideal for your situation: vacation rentals that typically charge by the week and are only a bargain if your other option is a $300/night hotel room; corporate apartments that are very expensive because most who use them are traveling or contract employees of companies that are picking up the tab; and sublets that are offered on terms convenient to the tenant, not the sublessee, so the latter has to move out when former is ready to come home.

if your goal is to remain here indefinitely, plan a week-long visit about a month before your planned move to check out aparments in the areas that interest you, and sign a lease. it seems like your hesitation is based on a desire to be absolutely certain about an area before you commit, and that's understandable. however, i find that the things that will put you off a neighborhood are either apparent on the surface, or you actually have to live there to discover them. renting isn't an exact science, so don't drive yourself crazy trying to make sure you're making the perfect choice before you commit to a place. we all take our chances when we rent. if you can find a place of your own that's safe, within your budget, and has good schools for your child, the rest is either gravy, or an annoyance that you can learn to live with until your lease expires.

good luck.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Since you are coming during the summer your child will be out of school, soi maybe this might work for you: there are some residential hotels in L.A. that might be helpful. There is a nice one in Culver City the Culver hotel. But I don't know what your budget is. The Holiday Inn in Burbank does this as well. In another thread someone mentioned the Oakwood apartments which offer temporary housing in it's "corporate" apartments. A friend was relocating several year ago and got a corporate apartment in Park LaBrea which is very central in L.A.

Thank you. I'll look into it...thanks again.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Thank you. I'll look into it...thanks again.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
short-term rentals come in three types, none of which seem ideal for your situation: vacation rentals that typically charge by the week and are only a bargain if your other option is a $300/night hotel room; corporate apartments that are very expensive because most who use them are traveling or contract employees of companies that are picking up the tab; and sublets that are offered on terms convenient to the tenant, not the sublessee, so the latter has to move out when former is ready to come home.

if your goal is to remain here indefinitely, plan a week-long visit about a month before your planned move to check out aparments in the areas that interest you, and sign a lease. it seems like your hesitation is based on a desire to be absolutely certain about an area before you commit, and that's understandable. however, i find that the things that will put you off a neighborhood are either apparent on the surface, or you actually have to live there to discover them. renting isn't an exact science, so don't drive yourself crazy trying to make sure you're making the perfect choice before you commit to a place. we all take our chances when we rent. if you can find a place of your own that's safe, within your budget, and has good schools for your child, the rest is either gravy, or an annoyance that you can learn to live with until your lease expires.

good luck.
again, great advices...thank you. I am not used to read this often...just got here and I appreciate your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles