Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:01 PM

152 posts, read 572,213 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Is there anybody who have recenlty (1-3 years) relocated from Miami to L.A.?
I lived in Miami for a few years and I absolutely hated it; I now live in Chicago and although I'm loving it, I consider it just a few years stopover before relocating to a warmer area. I've always liked L.A. but I've been there only as a tourist so I never had a chance to really grasp its soul.
One of the main things that I disliked about Miami is that the Spanish language is the first spoken language in the vast majority of the city, plus living in Miami really feels like living in Latin America rather than the States. This is a common feeling among pratically all non-latin americans living in Miami and many latins as well. Miami has then many other difects and flaws, which are common to other major metropolitan areas, such as traffic, expensive housing, crime, etc. One other flaw though I beleive is very tipycal of Miami is that, expect a few areas such as South Beach, Key Biscayne, Coral Gables and a couple of others (which are where the wealthy lives) the rest of Miami looks a like a gigantic ghetto.
My question now is: is the Spanish language so predominant in L.A. as it is in Miami? Does L.A. have the feeling of a US city or the one of a latin american (or mexican) city like Miami? Do the middle class neighborhoods look like a neverending ghetto like in Miami or can you find nice areas even if you don't live in Beverly Hills, Malibu, etc.?

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 03:36 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
LA does have a heavy influence from Latin American countries, but overall, it still feels more like the US here than it does a foreign country. There is a lot of Spanish speaking here though, but English is still the dominant language. However, there are neighborhoods that where this is not the case, but if you're not latino, you probably would have no interest in spending much time in these places.

I don't much experience with Miami, but the last time I was there connecting flights, I found it strange that the worker at the Pizza Hut greeted me in Spanish. When I began to give her my order, she had to get someone else to help me because she apparently knew little to no English. This doesn't happen here in LA, nearly all Latinos here who deal with the general population can speak enough English to get by.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:59 PM

167 posts, read 492,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
Does L.A. have the feeling of a US city or the one of a latin american (or mexican) city like Miami?
What is a "U.S. city"?

Old 07-10-2008, 05:21 PM

152 posts, read 572,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I don't much experience with Miami, but the last time I was there connecting flights, I found it strange that the worker at the Pizza Hut greeted me in Spanish. When I began to give her my order, she had to get someone else to help me because she apparently knew little to no English.
That's exactly a picture perfect of Miami and the predominance of the Spanish language.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:34 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,406 times
I've spent time in both LA and Miami and both are very different. While LA has an absolutely enormous Spanish speaking population, the dominant language here is still very much English. You don't feel out of place speaking English in LA. This is probably due to the fact that the Spanish-only speaking population in LA tends to be lower class people. In Miami, Spanish is the first language, spoken by everyone from recent immigrants to white collar office workers. You do feel out of place speaking English in Miami. It feels like another country because it's not just the working class who are speaking Spanish...it's everyone.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:03 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,851 times
I used to live in L.A and continue to visit the place and I never had any trouble finding someone that spoke English.

Their is Hispanic/Latino influence in L.A,but it still feels like being in an American City.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:23 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,711 times
Some people refer to Miami as the "LA of the East Coast".

Old 07-11-2008, 05:20 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
"This is probably due to the fact that the Spanish-only speaking population in LA tends to be lower class people."

that is not a fact!!! just some ridiculous generalization. i interact with many Spanish only speaking people, and they are from all walks of life. intl business people(who are trilingual in Fr. and IT). some truck drivers. cooks. etc etc.

i happen to speak spanish and i am not low class. my older family who have limited english skills are not low class either. you are crazy homeboy. plenty of spanish speaking individuals are not "low class".

next time consider saying, those individuals who dont speak too much english or spanish only are recent arrivals, and tend to be the blue collar workers, the back bone of the LA economy, the maids and the janitors or whomever. but then again why should they speak english? they are part of the class of "invisibles". all they need to know is "house keeping" right?

Anyhow, In LA, spanish is only prevalent in the majority latino areas. just like korean is prevalent in korean areas. or chinese in chinese areas. thats it. i dont venture into Mntry Park too much unless its for food or something like that, but even with the heavy chinese influence i havent had a problem communicating. actually no where in LA have i had a problem communicatiing with non native english speakers.

it cold be that in LA we tend to recognize all types of english, even with a heavy accent. at least i do.

my father once told me he understands spanish-accented english(as in english spoken by a native spanish speaker) more so than english spoken by a native english speaker...

funny.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,151 times
I only feel Hispanic/Latino influence in Hispanic neighborhoods, which are take it or leave it, mainly working class (ATM, anyway). Having it limited to working class neighborhoods means it isn't as widespread as in Miami where all walks of life use it.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
[quote=gabry76;4406715]Hi all,
My question now is: is the Spanish language so predominant in L.A. as it is in Miami? Does L.A. have the feeling of a US city or the one of a latin american (or mexican) city like Miami? Do the middle class neighborhoods look like a neverending ghetto like in Miami or can you find nice areas even if you don't live in Beverly Hills, Malibu, etc.?

Are you saying that a lot of Mexican people live in Miami? I thought most of them were of Cuban descent. You learn something new everyday. So cool to know that they can speak the language in Miami as they do here in the Southland. I am always amazed that so many people from Mexico, Honduras, Brazill, Cuba and many other places are able to learn English as it is one of the hardest languages in the world to learn while most of us living here in the USA fail to learn Spanish, one of the easiest languages on Earth to learn. In my home we speak both and I am a born in California, grew up near the Ocean, Surfing, sailing, and outdoors kind of white boy married to a California Born child of Mexican Immigrants (Legal I will add.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles