Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 10:28 PM

490 posts, read 660,501 times

Advertisements

I think that Miami seems more "Latin" because the wealthy population is more Latin and foreign, by contrast in LA even though the Mexican Population is Huge the wealthy is mainly White.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 10:38 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Never been to LA, but don't care much for it, considering I don't care for plasticity, traffic, smog or a total lack of season variety, but I do think it'd be a million times better than Miami which is a whole hot mess. At least in LA English is the number one language and there's a lot more diversity. A bunch of nationalities from the same 2 continents is not true diversity, especially when 93% of them speak the same language. LA has lots of Mexicans, but also lots of people from east Asia, south Asia, the Middle East, all parts of Europe, etc. and less clustered.

I think LA is better, and California is by far a better state than Florida (though Disney World is better than Disneyland!)

In terms of living I wouldn't want either. Prefer somewhere like Minnesota, Colorado, Texas, Massachusetts, Connecticut or Wisconsin.
You don't like "lack of seasons" but you live in Coral Gables? LOL LA has more seasonal change than South Florida!

In any case, I think you should visit LA before making judgments. It's not as smoggy or "plastic" as everyone makes it out to be. Traffic, yes, but depends on what time of day and much of the city's neighborhoods are quite walkable. LA's mass transit is also better than people think.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:14 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
True but LA isn't by any means a "working class/blue collar city", the way somewhere like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, etc are. You make it seem like most of LA is full of bad neighborhoods, when that isn't the case. There are many middle class neighborhoods, probably those are the majority.

The city is known for its wealth and glitz & glamour, not as being a gritty city full of mostly poor neighborhoods.
Working class neighborhood doesn't mean bad neighborhood, it just means an area with working class people. Why did you think I mean that working class mean something negative? It doesn't.

I am guessing that you think of blue collar as being row houses under a bridge that a train goes through next to industrial smoke stacks. There are hundred and one neighborhoods that are simply regular looking neighborhoods filled with average working joes who do everything from white collar to blue collar work.

Working at Hertz Car Rental in a suit doesn't mean you're automatically middle class. I'm mostly talking about income regardless of profession. A big chunk of LA is working class.

The majority in LA is most certainly not middle class.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:44 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Never been to LA, but don't care much for it, considering I don't care for plasticity, traffic, smog or a total lack of season variety, but I do think it'd be a million times better than Miami which is a whole hot mess. At least in LA English is the number one language and there's a lot more diversity. A bunch of nationalities from the same 2 continents is not true diversity, especially when 93% of them speak the same language. LA has lots of Mexicans, but also lots of people from east Asia, south Asia, the Middle East, all parts of Europe, etc. and less clustered.

I think LA is better, and California is by far a better state than Florida (though Disney World is better than Disneyland!)

In terms of living I wouldn't want either. Prefer somewhere like Minnesota, Colorado, Texas, Massachusetts, Connecticut or Wisconsin.
LOL you've never even been to Los Angeles, yet you speak of it as if you have. How does that make sense?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:45 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Working class neighborhood doesn't mean bad neighborhood, it just means an area with working class people. Why did you think I mean that working class mean something negative? It doesn't.

I am guessing that you think of blue collar as being row houses under a bridge that a train goes through next to industrial smoke stacks. There are hundred and one neighborhoods that are simply regular looking neighborhoods filled with average working joes who do everything from white collar to blue collar work.

Working at Hertz Car Rental in a suit doesn't mean you're automatically middle class. I'm mostly talking about income regardless of profession. A big chunk of LA is working class.

The majority in LA is most certainly not middle class.
True, there really aren't 'middle class" neighborhoods in L.A . You have to go pretty far out outside of the city of L.A .

Average home price is close to $500,000 ..and that's not for a McMansion, it's the average .

Los Angeles County Home Prices and Home Values - Zillow

Last edited by jm1982; 12-01-2014 at 08:19 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 08:25 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
I think that Miami seems more "Latin" because the wealthy population is more Latin and foreign, by contrast in LA even though the Mexican Population is Huge the wealthy is mainly White.
True, and this is also why Spanish is more predominate too. The business owners are mostly Latin too.
People in Miami seem to assume everyone speaks Spanish.

In Miami it feels like there are hardly any white people, except for the tourists.

But they are usually white Europeans it seems rather than white Americans like you see in L.A .

Especially if they are a bit older in age.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:22 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
You don't like "lack of seasons" but you live in Coral Gables? LOL LA has more seasonal change than South Florida!

In any case, I think you should visit LA before making judgments. It's not as smoggy or "plastic" as everyone makes it out to be. Traffic, yes, but depends on what time of day and much of the city's neighborhoods are quite walkable. LA's mass transit is also better than people think.

You know some people actually GREW UP in Florida, right? Not everyone's a northern transplant. I haven't been anymore north than Tennessee! I am moving to Texas in a few weeks where believe it or not, there's more seasons there than summer! It was in the 20s a few weeks ago when I was there (and I loved it!)

I do wanna visit LA, and then I can make better judgements haha. I do think OP would prefer it to Miami though, especially in the language category. I can't think of any major American city that has language barrier issues like Miami does. Yea, maybe some Mexican border towns might be worse, but in terms of major US city, nothing like Miami. I don't think in Chicago, a bunch of people are gonna start speaking to me in Polish assuming I understand. That's a Miami issue with the Cubans that think everyone should speak Spanish and they themselves shouldn't make an effort to learn English.

Miami's public transit system is terrible and I think most places have it beat, including LA.

Last edited by Pincho-toot; 12-04-2014 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: adding information

Old 12-04-2014, 08:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
90 percent of LA is nothing like the movies, its a city of immigrants a lot of them if not all are the working class that have nothing to do with entertainment... lot of Latino, Asian and Middle Eastern immigrants just trying make a iiving in the City of Angeles.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:38 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,770,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
True, and this is also why Spanish is more predominate too. The business owners are mostly Latin too.
People in Miami seem to assume everyone speaks Spanish.

In Miami it feels like there are hardly any white people, except for the tourists.
Miami's rich latin business owners are mostly white. The upper crust Hispanics in places like Coral Gables and Key Biscayne are predominantly white.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:45 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,770,064 times
[quote=UKWildcat1981;37522117]90 percent of LA is nothing like the movies,quote]

The don't call it movie magic for nothing. Hollywood has always tried to play to Peoria. Anyone who thinks a movie is an accurate representation of anything needs to have their head examined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
90 percent of LA is nothing like the movies, its a city of immigrants a lot of them if not all are the working class that have nothing to do with entertainment... lot of Latino, Asian and Middle Eastern immigrants just trying make a iiving in the City of Angeles.
Most non-Hispanic whites also have nothing to do with the entertainment business, myself included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles