Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:37 PM

37 posts, read 110,448 times

Advertisements

This is a question directed at those who have made the drive from the NE (specifically the NYC-Philly-DC area). I imagine those people don't frequent this forum as much as the locals, so I just hope this thread doesn't get buried before it is seen.

With our moving date approaching (23 days and counting!), my friend and I are being met with more and more skepticism when we say that we intend to make the drive in 5 days. FTR, this requires an average of 600 miles on each of the first 4 days, and 350 miles on the 5th day (although the last stretch of those will be in LA, so it might as well be 600 miles). To us, this does not seem unreasonable, but to friends and family, we are being ridiculous. We each have our own cars, so while we will be staying with each other as best as we can on the road, we wont be sharing drive time with anyone else.

So, to those who have done it before, are we being unreasonable? Is there a really good chance we're going to hit bad traffic somewhere along the way? Bad weather? Murderous hitchhikers?

Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 02:15 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,345 times
What route are you taking? Since I'm assuming that both of you are fairly young, 600 miles per day sounds easily doable if you are living clean and getting plenty of sleep. Save your partying till you hit LA.

Don't be tired when you tackle the Rockies. Plan your drive such that you start the trek through the mountains in the morning.

Don't pick up hitchhikers and they won't murder you.

Your weather should be glorious in late May/early June. Enjoy! And take pictures. You'll appreciate them later.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:11 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishardin View Post
This is a question directed at those who have made the drive from the NE (specifically the NYC-Philly-DC area). I imagine those people don't frequent this forum as much as the locals, so I just hope this thread doesn't get buried before it is seen.

With our moving date approaching (23 days and counting!), my friend and I are being met with more and more skepticism when we say that we intend to make the drive in 5 days. FTR, this requires an average of 600 miles on each of the first 4 days, and 350 miles on the 5th day (although the last stretch of those will be in LA, so it might as well be 600 miles). To us, this does not seem unreasonable, but to friends and family, we are being ridiculous. We each have our own cars, so while we will be staying with each other as best as we can on the road, we wont be sharing drive time with anyone else.

So, to those who have done it before, are we being unreasonable? Is there a really good chance we're going to hit bad traffic somewhere along the way? Bad weather? Murderous hitchhikers?

Thanks,
Chris
i've driven alone between LA and philadelphia three times, and your plan is absolutely reasonable. i wanted to be off the road before dark, and usually ended up covering more than 600 miles. i once did 800 miles in one day, but that's an exception i wouldn't recommend.

my last trip home (I-95S > I-10W) went like this:

philadelphia > richmond, va (245 miles*-- i left in the evening, desperate to escape philly, so this wasn't a full day of driving.);

richmond > savannah, ga (483 miles-- planned stop);

savannah > new orleans, la (678 miles-- planned stop);

new orleans > sonora, tx (733 miles-- i had intended to spend the night in san antonio, but was unable to find lodging so had to keep going. texas hill country in the dark is scary-- don't do it!);

sonora > tuscon, az (690 miles);

tuscon > LA (488 miles).

this represents an average distance of 553 miles per day. i spent two nights in one place, and was home in six days, so you can definitely do it in five.

*all distances are actual miles driven, not from a map. i still have my trip-tik where i recorded the distance i traveled each day.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:23 PM

Katenik,

Any particular reason you did 95 -> 10 as opposed to the GMaps-suggested 76 -> 70 -> 44 -> 40 -> 15? Was it just for simplicity's sake? Cuz it seems like its a lot longer...

Old 05-05-2008, 03:27 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
Quote:
Katenik,

Any particular reason you did 95 -> 10 as opposed to the GMaps-suggested 76 -> 70 -> 44 -> 40 -> 15? Was it just for simplicity's sake? Cuz it seems like its a lot longer...
yes, planned stops in savannah and new orleans.

i've done it your way, too, but in the opposite direction. i'm afraid i can't remember anything about that trip except having lunch in albuquerque, spending a night in amarillo, and another in st. louis. i've looked at a map, but it isn't the most memorable route, and i didn't have any planned stops so i probably just stayed in random places along the way. sorry.

Last edited by katenik; 05-05-2008 at 04:03 PM..

Old 05-05-2008, 03:29 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:

Thanks,
Chris
You're not being unreasonable at all. Back in October of 2006 I decided just for fun, that instead of flying home into LAX that I would drive across country from Philadelphia.

I drove nonstop from Philly to Asheville, NC to visit some friends and stayed overnight. Then I drove pretty much non stop from Asheville NC to LA. Dont think I ever want to do that again but I did it. I dont remember the road I took but it took me through NC, TN, Arkansas, Oklahoma, TX, NM, AZ and CA. From the time I left North Carolina I drove nonstop until Oklahoma City where I pulled over to take a nap for a few hours then headed back on the road home. Think overall it took about 2.5 days.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:23 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,111,514 times
My mother and I drovethe northern route from Narrowsburg, NY (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre) to L.A. (Drove through St. Louis, Denver and Vegas) We did this in three days (80 mph most of the time). AAA mapped it for us. Happy driving.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:54 AM

Thanks everyone.

3 weeks from today!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:55 AM

27 posts, read 86,920 times
bump

I'm planning on driving from Chicago to LA.. hopefully in about 5-6 days. Here's what want to see: Mt. Rushmore, family in Laramie, WY, Denver, CO, four corners, the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and end up in Riverside or LA.

Do you think that's reasonable? I plan on shipping my things via the PODS or door to door so I'd be driving my 2006 kia rio.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:07 PM

640 posts, read 3,074,757 times
Two of us drove from Philly in 3 days back in the 70's, if you can believe that. We were young and dumb of course. We stayed up and drove all the way to Denver! Writing this now seems incredible but we did it. Driving in 5 days sounds good to me!

It sounds like a lot of other Philly people here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles