Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:04 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,238,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaselva View Post
Hi everyone,

I am planning to travel between Los Angeles and San Diego but want to know which is the better option: Train or Bus??

Would appreciate any suggestions please!
There are self-serve machines that give out Metrolink and Amtrak tickets. One is on the Vignes/MTA Bldg end; the other near the Alameda entrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 10:10 PM

375 posts, read 610,409 times
AMTRAK is the way to go. About $30 from Santa Fe Station at the waterfront to Union Station in Los Angeles. From there you can take the Metro to most places in the LA Basin.
Big Comfortable chairs. Not crowded. 120V for your laptop. Cafe car with all the deli stuff and San Diego's best Stone Pale Ale or Arrogant Bastard Ale and lots of sissy beer too. Various wines and good company. I've made the run many times when I was in LA.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,024 times
How to book a train from LA Airport to San diego . Could you pls et me know the metro fare frm LA to Sandiego.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:47 AM

2 posts, read 7,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anura View Post
How to book a train from LA Airport to San diego . Could you pls et me know the metro fare frm LA to Sandiego.
What is metro fare from LA to Sandiego.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,085,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anura View Post
Take the Flyaway bus from LAX to Union Station, then the Amtrak from there to San Diego.

LAX FlyAway Bus

I wouldn't attempt city buses as there are certainly gaps in the system. You're covering three counties and my guess is that south Orange County and north San Diego county do not have the best public transpo.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:00 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,040,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Take the Flyaway bus from LAX to Union Station, then the Amtrak from there to San Diego.

LAX FlyAway Bus

I wouldn't attempt city buses as there are certainly gaps in the system. You're covering three counties and my guess is that south Orange County and north San Diego county do not have the best public transpo.
I better idea is to take the Flyaway bus from LAX to Irvine station and catch the Amtrak from that point. Once you are south of Irvine, you start hitting the nice scenery.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,388 times
My friend from Australia just traveled from LA to San Diego with a shuttle called "Hostel Hopper". It was a door to door shuttle with travelers and backpackers from all over the the world. It was only $40 and she was dropped off at a hostel near my apartment in San Diego. It worked out so well. She said they had wifi and an ipad to use in the van and a really cool driver who told her all about LA and SD. She really enjoyed it so I wanted to pass the info along in case someone is looking for something more interactive and personal than the train. The website is LA to San Diego to LAX Shuttle - The Hostel Hopper and the number is 1-855-464-6777. Either way you come, you'll love San Diego. Its a great city! Cheers

Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 PM

43,733 posts, read 44,505,107 times
As already said, I too say take the train!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,085,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I better idea is to take the Flyaway bus from LAX to Irvine station and catch the Amtrak from that point. Once you are south of Irvine, you start hitting the nice scenery.
Good tip. I didn't know that was possible. Things are evolving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles