Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2021, 06:10 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
No it wouldn't. Millions get the flu shot every year. I never have and never will.

So other than the flu shot, which vaccines?
I was thinking along those very same lines when I said it would be limiting, meaning limited precisely to that. Shingles vaccine maybe? a few others come to mind, but for the most part, the bulk of all vaccine decisions were made for most people prior to adulthood.

And my point was, there doesn't have to be a litmus test for whether an individual truly objects to vaccines in general, or just the covid vaccine, in order for a personal objection to be valid with respect to the latter. I actually agree with the idea that a person can be fine with every other vaccine and not with the one in question, and still maintain some ideological purity. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. How the courts ultimately interpret individual cases is where we'll find the limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
They probably would need an affidavit from, for instance, a religious official in a local congregation or a history of requesting time off work for religious reasons, plus the faith would have to be documented as somewhat against vaccines.

Not disagreeing with that in concept, but in practice it becomes a mess. It also creates a situation where institutional religion has greater validity over personal belief. That has first amendment backlash written all over it.

Quote:
I think some police need to think this through more, in terms of backlash from HQ and the court system if they try to be exempted for illegitimate beliefs. Nobody wants dishonest cops on the force.
It's too subjective to say one belief is legitimate and another isn't. JMO.
Reading the one lawsuit (I think for the firefighters), they're even opposed to the testing mandate. So in that case, religious exemption would be even muddier.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:36 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
1) I put "punishment" in quotes for a reason. I am not an anti-masker.
2) I have heard no reports where COVID-19 definitely spread between vaccinated people, and I'd be surprised if it isn't very rare in people who were vaccinated less than 6 months before.
My wife and I were vaccinated in May and we both recently contracted Covid in the beginning of Sept. If transmission and infection of covid in vaccinated people is rare, it’s not rare enough where both of us were infected.

Again, if you’re vaccinated and it is rare for you to get infected by covid, then why care about those who refuse the vaccination?

Old 09-27-2021, 06:38 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Religious exemption is very vague, and even faiths which typically reject medicine (i.e. Christian Science, etc.) aren't specifically opposed to vaccines. That fractures the argument and possible litigation into a million little pieces since it all boils down to personal beliefs. It certainly would strengthen an individual's own case if they could claim some connection to a well-known faith that has some minimal, tangible objection to medicine, but it's not requisite the way I'm seeing it.
But who is going to drag an individual who obtained a religious exemption to court to prove the legitimacy of their exemption?

Old 09-27-2021, 06:42 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,377,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
So other than the flu shot, which vaccines?
I was thinking along those very same lines when I said it would be limiting, meaning limited precisely to that. Shingles vaccine maybe? a few others come to mind, but for the most part, the bulk of all vaccine decisions were made for most people prior to adulthood.

And my point was, there doesn't have to be a litmus test for whether an individual truly objects to vaccines in general, or just the covid vaccine, in order for a personal objection to be valid with respect to the latter. I actually agree with the idea that a person can be fine with every other vaccine and not with the one in question, and still maintain some ideological purity. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. How the courts ultimately interpret individual cases is where we'll find the limits.

How are the courts going to rule on 50,000,000 cases (one-by-one) will be another problem not to mention appeals

Old 09-27-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
But who is going to drag an individual who obtained a religious exemption to court to prove the legitimacy of their exemption?

It'll work the other direction much the same as anything; an individual will have their exemption rejected by an employer or whatnot, and sue.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
How are the courts going to rule on 50,000,000 cases (one-by-one) will be another problem not to mention appeals

Until there's some better precedent, yes. It won't take that many cases to establish some semblance of a framework though. It's preferable to trying to write in specifics to law, as to what is and isn't a legitimate exemption. My view is it shouldn't be difficult to get a personal belief exemption, minus any connection to religion. As the UMass case sort of proves, it's too easy to reject such a thing.

And the best course of action right now to all these mandates is to simply offer a testing option and avoid all the mess, while incentivizing vaccination instead.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:35 PM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ashbury View Post
When faced with the fact that the "vaccines" do not prevent infection or prevent transmission to others, and are thus not actual effective vaccines...
Endless news cycles and viral social media warn of “breakthrough infections” in people already vaccinated for COVID-19. These reports leave the mistaken impression that protections afforded by the vaccines are not working—and they can fuel reticence among the millions of people in the U.S. who have yet to get a shot. But such infections are not only known to occur after COVID vaccination. They frequently happen following inoculation against influenza, measles and many other diseases.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...s-are-failing/

Old 09-27-2021, 10:27 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Few vaccinated people aren't negatively affected by the pandemic. Besides some high-risk settings that they might know to avoid (for example, parties with some unvaccinated individuals) that otherwise would be beneficial, there's ongoing damage to finances and interpersonal relationships from inconveniences and worse the virus causes.

How small-minded many unvaccinated people are being, with police turning into almost public enemy no. 1 in that regard.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:43 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Also, instead of pleading natural immunity, police officers should look at the info that previous infection plus vaccine makes people extra safe. I was aware of that last winter.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-fin...183038429.html

It dawned on me that many police have to interact with the jail system, which is one of the highest-risk environments out there.

Last edited by goodheathen; 09-27-2021 at 10:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles