Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,965 times

Advertisements

Why don't you provide tours thru the projects? Earn alot of money? maybe stop shooting each other?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM

43 posts, read 399,142 times
Quote:
Why don't you provide tours thru the projects? Earn alot of money? maybe stop shooting each other?
Was this referring to me? Because I have no idea why you said this, I dont live in Watts and "stop shooting each other", whats that all about?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM

263 posts, read 757,403 times
Ever hear of "Bounty Hunter Bloods" or Hunnaz as they call 'em and Pee Jay Watts Crips???

Old 07-24-2008, 05:04 PM

188 posts, read 920,199 times
I driven past them before going to the watts towers or around. Really they are a lot less interesting than you would imagine, they look like your typical rundown apt housing with poor minority residents. As someone mentioned earlier, if you're white they'll probably assume you are trying to score some drugs. It's very uninspired architecture in an out of the way location.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:45 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker400 View Post
I driven past them before going to the watts towers or around. Really they are a lot less interesting than you would imagine, they look like your typical rundown apt housing with poor minority residents. As someone mentioned earlier, if you're white they'll probably assume you are trying to score some drugs. It's very uninspired architecture in an out of the way location.
haha, that sounds funny.

Its sounds like the projects are supposed to be crowd pleasing at a central location for out of towners to cruise by and gawk, like the Wild Animal Park in SD or something.

"And if you look to your left, we are now approaching, Jordan Downs!"

"Daddy! Look! That's where Cain and O-Dogg beat down the chickenhead's cousin! OH MY GOD!"
"Timmy..the instructor clearly told us to not stare and to keep away from the window."
"But dad!"
"Timothyyyy."
"Awww.."

Old 12-22-2008, 01:11 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,301 times
Thumbs down Not from L.A.

I happened to just see this looking around the different LA posts, very interesting that someone would actually want to see the projects. If your really interested then just like me someone not from LA, but was in LA for a job interview, do like wut I did. I was in LA for a job interview, didnt get the job but it is wut it is, I stayed in Inglewood and took the metro to my job interview site, I just happened to see Nickerson Gardens from the green line right before approaching the Imperial Wilmington stop. If you wanna see them that bad then just ride the dayum train where theres security....

Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 AM

263 posts, read 757,403 times
Quote:
Projects In watts are they really dangerous? Would it be dangerous if a tourist ended up getting lost there?
I hope you're not going because you're some kid that watches all these gang movies and now you want to visit some of the infamous hoods! If you don't have any constructive reason to be there, don't go!! Nickerson is home to the Bounty Hunter Bloods (is that the real reason you're going???) I hear they're not too friendly to outsiders coming into their projects.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:33 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,676 times
"If you ain't ever been to the ghetto, don't come to the ghetto. Stay the f- out of the ghetto!"

I'm just quoting. I never lived there and have only been there for work during the day. Most housing projects in these neighborhoods are generaly quiet and peaceful during the day. Makes me wonder where everyone goes but I don't care because the nature of my job requires anonimity and the sooner I finish what I need to do and get out of there, the better.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:43 AM

32 posts, read 96,634 times
I have had a great opportunity to install signs in Watts. I suggest everyone drive through. Use common sense!! I always check the surroundings when I get to a home and throughout installing signs! I do this in all of South Los Angeles, not just Watts! It will change your life to see how blessed we all truly live in the Los Angeles Area when driving through Watts. I highly recommend it. It's a great opportunity. The projects are the gang activity of Watts though, that's a whole other issue. If you can be seen from a project home window, then you're to close, that's if your not from the area. I look forward to building new homes in Watts someday, and transforming a bleak neighborhood into a prosperous community. They recently put new homes on Santa Ana Blvd., wow it changed the whole neighborhood. 44 two story homes. This is 5-7 streets from the Jordan Downs Housing Project!! I love both the people and the city of Watts. Don't forget though there's also Jordan Downs, which Villaraigosa wants to rebuild. The city of Los Angeles has bought 21 acres near Jordan Downs. I love it when the people of Jordan Downs asked why Nickerson and Imperial weren't getting any help. I will be very happy when the Grape Street Crips are flushed out of members, and that comes with building new homes!

Old 01-24-2009, 05:22 PM

76 posts, read 191,778 times
It's not like it used to be. Gang members aren't as hostile toward whites anymore. Not that they like whites, or anything. But you're not going to get rushed at an intersection like you would have 20 years ago, when even the main streets were crawling with b's and c's. You have to remember the Darryl Gates era. The LAPD was being ran by an unapologetic redneck and the animosity made any white person caught below the 10 freeway viewed as a hamburger, not only by gang members but regular citizens, too. Also, Mexicans make up for most of these areas now, and they seem to have more animosity toward blacks than whites. Basically, white people driving through Watts today would sneak through the cracks. You're not driving through the old Watts. You missed that era. you even missed it's death rattle, which was the '90s. By the late '90s, a white person could probably park their car at Jordan Downs and visit someone in there, without being harassed. ...I emphasize probably. But maybe not. Anynow ,then this decade Moderator cut: stuff started jumping off between black gangs and mexican gangs. Today, you're more likely to be harassed by the police as a white person than you are any gang member. Injunctions have pushed gang members into the backstreets. If a cop were to pull you over, and you didn't have some kind of press credentials on you or something that gave you a legitimate excuse, in their eyes, for you to be there, I promise you they would seriously Moderator cut: mess with your head. You might wish you'd gotten harassed by gang members by the time they're done with you. They're going to accuse you of being there to buy dope until you're in tears and pleading to them that you're just lost and trying to find the freeway. Just when you think they're going to throw you in jail, they're going to just give you a fix it ticket and send you on your way. Welcome to LA.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-24-2009 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles