Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:47 AM

241 posts, read 940,049 times

Advertisements

Really? what address you put?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:18 PM

58 posts, read 192,639 times
I am white, born and raised in L.A., and have been to every housing project in the city of Los Angeles. Sometimes for work, sometimes just for straight up curiosity.

If you really want to see the Gardens, the Courts or Jordan Downs, there are a few options. I've done all these:

Get a myspace account and find someone from the area you want to see. Write them a message and explain that you are interested in seeing how people live in that area. Be honest and upfront about it. Explain that you want to meet people, and see things. Nine times out of ten people are open to this, and you will be welcomed as an invited guest. If nothing else, they will respect your curiosity. They are used to being ignored by the outside world.

They are proud of the neighborhoods, and--usually-- are eager and interested to meet new people. There may be hesitation, and minor hostility at first, but once they understand you are genuine, it's all good.

Be prudent in who you pick as your guide.

Everyone of these projects has a community center, staffed by people from the area. These people usually have "juice" in the community, and are considered respected elders.

Go one morning, and have a chat with one of them, and say you are interested in the history and culture of the neighborhood. You can lie, and say you are a grad student in something like urban planning, or sociology.

There have been many articles written on these neighborhoods. In each article, they interview some kind of community leader. These people aren't hard to track down. Find them and have a talk about visiting the area.

What is important, is that you don't go alone. These can be dangerous violent places, and things can spin out of control very quickly. It is vital to have a guide with you. Not just anyone, but someone with respect. Once you are in, and have contacts, it's not hard to return again.

That said, the majority of people you will meet are kind and hospitable, you just need to meet them on their level, with respect and kindness. Residents of L.A.'s projects and low income neighborhoods are just regular, everyday people trying to get by. They can be hospitable and warm and easy going. I have been invited to dinner, and stayed for the weekend, and made lifelong freinds.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The sad reality is that the public housing projects are more dangerous to black & hispanic youth than anybody else.
I am not so sure about that.

I'd say that public housing projects are more dangerous to young men, regardless of color, then anybody else.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:18 PM

184 posts, read 551,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciously View Post
Really? what address you put?

Off of Imperial Highway in between Grape st and Mona Blvd.

The Google car made it to that whole surrounding area. But right there were Imperial Courts is he must have said, "no way" and drove around.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:11 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
wow.

yay, lets tour the hood. lets gawk like we were at the zoo.

this is funny.

im glad i dont need a pass to be around town. been in and around these parts. but thats because i know people. thats our reality.

i didnt have to go invite myself, out of curiosity.

astonishing.

the funniest part was "juice"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbullet View Post
I am white, born and raised in L.A., and have been to every housing project in the city of Los Angeles. Sometimes for work, sometimes just for straight up curiosity.

If you really want to see the Gardens, the Courts or Jordan Downs, there are a few options. I've done all these:

Get a myspace account and find someone from the area you want to see. Write them a message and explain that you are interested in seeing how people live in that area. Be honest and upfront about it. Explain that you want to meet people, and see things. Nine times out of ten people are open to this, and you will be welcomed as an invited guest. If nothing else, they will respect your curiosity. They are used to being ignored by the outside world.

They are proud of the neighborhoods, and--usually-- are eager and interested to meet new people. There may be hesitation, and minor hostility at first, but once they understand you are genuine, it's all good.

Be prudent in who you pick as your guide.

Everyone of these projects has a community center, staffed by people from the area. These people usually have "juice" in the community, and are considered respected elders.

Go one morning, and have a chat with one of them, and say you are interested in the history and culture of the neighborhood. You can lie, and say you are a grad student in something like urban planning, or sociology.

There have been many articles written on these neighborhoods. In each article, they interview some kind of community leader. These people aren't hard to track down. Find them and have a talk about visiting the area.

What is important, is that you don't go alone. These can be dangerous violent places, and things can spin out of control very quickly. It is vital to have a guide with you. Not just anyone, but someone with respect. Once you are in, and have contacts, it's not hard to return again.

That said, the majority of people you will meet are kind and hospitable, you just need to meet them on their level, with respect and kindness. Residents of L.A.'s projects and low income neighborhoods are just regular, everyday people trying to get by. They can be hospitable and warm and easy going. I have been invited to dinner, and stayed for the weekend, and made lifelong freinds.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:13 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post

The Google car made it to that whole surrounding area. But right there were Imperial Courts is he must have said, "no way" and drove around.
They went to 115th and Gorman... but it looks like it was really early in the morning due to the lighting, marine layer, all the cars around, and the lack of people.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
wow.

yay, lets tour the hood. lets gawk like we were at the zoo.

this is funny.

im glad i dont need a pass to be around town. been in and around these parts. but thats because i know people. thats our reality.

i didnt have to go invite myself, out of curiosity.

astonishing.

the funniest part was "juice"...
Is it really that "astonishing?"

If someone wants to go to these places, those are straightforward ways they can meet people, and see how those kinds of communities live.

Nobody is comparing anyone, or anyplace, to a zoo.

It is unwise for out of towners to wander alone in public housing projects in south central Los Angeles. I've done it, myself, many times, but to say it is not dangerous is unwise. You may not need a pass, but you can't deny that some people do, or would. It's unfortunate, but it is also reality...

I've travelled all over the world, and everywhere I go I try to meet people and see their side of things. Break bread with them, meet their mothers and children. I'd do it on Grape street, and I'd do it on Rodeo Drive too.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
But right there were Imperial Courts is he must have said, "no way" and drove around.
A few months ago I got popped on the blue line (metro train,) for riding without fare.

It's only ticket, but I was being a Moderator cut: jerk to the cops, plus I had a warrent, so they took me in. The jail is near Imperial Courts. I was there for about a day, then they cut me loose at about eleven at night.

In order to get back to the train, and had to take a shortcut through the Courts. I stood there for a while, deciding if I should walk through that Moderator cut: place late at night. I could have walked around the place, but it would have taken longer, and I wanted to go home.

I ended up cutting through the projects. I had two hundred bucks in cash on me, too. Nothing happened, but it certainly could have.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-30-2009 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 PM

241 posts, read 940,049 times
Quote:

just went on that map and seems like they did sort of went there but only on 113th st side.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:55 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
ya buddy, your down.

now you can go tell your friends... "i been in nickerson. i even been to the jungle, and it IS like in training day"

this fascination with the hood is amazing.

when i visit detroit or anyother place i never go lookin for the hood.

i seen that all my life.

interesting frame of thought tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbullet View Post
Is it really that "astonishing?"

If someone wants to go to these places, those are straightforward ways they can meet people, and see how those kinds of communities live.

Nobody is comparing anyone, or anyplace, to a zoo.

It is unwise for out of towners to wander alone in public housing projects in south central Los Angeles. I've done it, myself, many times, but to say it is not dangerous is unwise. You may not need a pass, but you can't deny that some people do, or would. It's unfortunate, but it is also reality...

I've travelled all over the world, and everywhere I go I try to meet people and see their side of things. Break bread with them, meet their mothers and children. I'd do it on Grape street, and I'd do it on Rodeo Drive too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles