Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 01:16 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,128,415 times

Advertisements

Live in LA-Area work in Santa Baraba Live in LA-Area work in Santa Barabara

At the very least, it’s a lot closer than the back and forth between LA and Bora-Bora.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 03:18 PM

700 posts, read 447,102 times
Sounds like you figured it all out, with an attitude to match.
Enjoy!

Old 01-26-2022, 02:05 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,300,113 times
200 miles SB <-> Westwood every day.
5-6 hours of driving every day.

At least, you can eat and work while on Amtrak.

Old 01-26-2022, 02:49 AM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
I always laugh when New Yorkers move out West and think they're going to take the light rail or the bus for work. Do you guys have any idea how lacking the transportation system is in the entire Los Angeles basin? There's just no way. I mean the bus?? Laughable. You're not going to want to get on a bus in L.A. trust me. Metrolink's a little better but it doesn't go everywhere. In fact it hardly goes anywhere in terms of an office commute.

New York and L.A.. are two completely different animals altogether. I'm an L.A. girl. When I visited New York in 2008 and like an idiot forgot my credit cards at home do you think I was able to get around without help?? I brought two rolling suitcases because I thought the freaking Subways had elevators like BART in San Francisco. I had a meltdown complete with tears in the middle of Penn Station because I almost missed my flight home. Several New Yorkers rushed over to help me and that was Ultra cool. I've never forgotten that.

If your wife doesn't drive you're going to need to live really close to wherever she works or she's going to have to get a job in Santa Barbara. I absolutely guarantee you that she's not going to want to ride the bus in LA to her job -- not in this social climate. Dirt, mental illness, crime, walking for blocks after disembarking... this ain't New York!!

I used to take the bus into downtown LA for work for years. Every Friday night the bus would break down on Kellogg Hill and I'd get home two hours late. Not to mention the Friday night traffic leaving to go out to the River on weekends.

You guys just need to understand about this transportation system here and how truly lacking it is. I can't drive that point home enough.

As for driving from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara everyday, that's just completely laughable -- Tesla or no Tesla. And that Tesla of yours is not all that impressive -- the LA freeways are chock-full of 'em.

Old 01-26-2022, 12:27 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,300,113 times
Public transportation is actually much better in Santa Barbara.
I didn't see any homeless on buses. They are everywhere in LA.

https://bustracker.sbmtd.gov/bustime/map/displaymap.jsp

Old 01-26-2022, 05:01 PM

26,733 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoefatz View Post
It was a reply to the McEnroe YouTube video.
I love the McEnroe clip!

Old 01-27-2022, 03:34 PM

41 posts, read 35,557 times
Me Too! Another q: During the summer months, does the commute time get better with school being out / folks on vacation (reverse commuting from LA to SB in the am, SB to LA in the evening)? Or is the difference negligible/none/worse?

Old 01-27-2022, 03:44 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
If your wife doesn't drive you're going to need to live really close to wherever she works or she's going to have to get a job in Santa Barbara. I absolutely guarantee you that she's not going to want to ride the bus in LA to her job -- not in this social climate. Dirt, mental illness, crime, walking for blocks after disembarking... this ain't New York!!
I'll add to that: wife needs to learn to drive. For her own sanity.

Quote:
During the summer months, does the commute time get better with school being out / folks on vacation (reverse commuting from LA to SB in the am, SB to LA in the evening)? Or is the difference negligible/none/worse?
That's not my neck of the woods, but my experience in my part of SoCal is that the effect of fewer people commuting to school & locals going on vacation is offset by the number of tourists arriving. Traffic might be a tiny bit less. Or about the same.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:08 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoefatz View Post
Me Too! Another q: During the summer months, does the commute time get better with school being out / folks on vacation (reverse commuting from LA to SB in the am, SB to LA in the evening)? Or is the difference negligible/none/worse?
NO.

You have to remember that Los Angeles is a major MAJOR destination city for people from around the world to not only vacation, but to move here for ambitious reasons. So traffic/commute will STILL be horrible. Only time during the year where it gets somewhat "good" is during Thanksgiving where the transplants go home to visit family.

Not too many years ago, I commuted from Sherman Oaks to Thousand Oaks and it was horrible. 23 miles each way and it was pretty much the maximum doable commute possible. LA (even the Valley) to SB is just not a smart thing to do.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:37 PM

41 posts, read 35,557 times
What time is rush hour typically? Does leaving at 5am usually give you a traffic-less commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles