Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 PM

73 posts, read 333,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
If the good people keep fleeing the state who will be left?

An unfortunate fact of the SFV - lovely single family homes sandwiched between boulevards filled with crappy apartments. I assume you don't live far from Reseda Boulevard.
Bingo! closer to White Oak/Louise area but yes, very close. Our neighborhood council has yet to confirm if we are officially "Lake Balboa" or not. That whole name change thing...it seems we have to address the actual problems in our area, not just put bandages on it by calling it something else... another post entirely...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 01:04 AM

636 posts, read 2,644,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinLA View Post
Bingo! closer to White Oak/Louise area but yes, very close. Our neighborhood council has yet to confirm if we are officially "Lake Balboa" or not. That whole name change thing...it seems we have to address the actual problems in our area, not just put bandages on it by calling it something else... another post entirely...
No, renaming doesn't always work. Example: North Hills. I think that area was created to escape the Van Nuys 'rep'. Now North Hills has a bit of a rep.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:53 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
West SFV has been getting worse and worse thanks to the changing demography. The police helicopter is always flying over the area searching for somebody past midnight at least once a week. The sound is loud enough to wake you from several streets away. I will definitely have to move.

Last edited by davidt1; 08-19-2007 at 01:22 AM..

Old 08-19-2007, 06:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
West SFV has been getting worse and worse thanks to the changing demography. The police helicopter is always flying over the area searching for somebody past midnight at least once a week. The sound is loud enough to wake you from several streets away. I will definitely have to move.
Doesn't look like this anymore. View looking west 1963 with Victory and Canoga (pepper trees) about in the middle of the photo. Topanga Plaza under construction in the upper right side. The leftmost of the two big buildings in the foreground is now Home Depot.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:50 AM

19 posts, read 97,387 times
Question Sfv

So talking about the Valley, I will give my two cents based on my experience. I lived there 22 years and the good and bad parts seem to intermingle. I lived on a dirt road in Sylmar all my life and they only paved it after I moved. But, you go a quarter mile north and there were beautiful streets lined with the "typical" family. Go a half a mile south and there were trailer parks with meth labs and dealers.

The Valley is old in comparison to Lancaster, Palmdale, Las Vegas and some Phoenix areas. With age you get exponent positives and negatives, especially in such a vast area.

So is the SFV going down hill? If it is who do we blame it on? If not, is it just our perception that everything needs and should be middle/upper class? What would it take to create a better SFV?

Old 08-21-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Doesn't look like this anymore. View looking west 1963 with Victory and Canoga (pepper trees) about in the middle of the photo. Topanga Plaza under construction in the upper right side. The leftmost of the two big buildings in the foreground is now Home Depot.
I love your photos

Old 08-21-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelSugar View Post
So is the SFV going down hill? If it is who do we blame it on? If not, is it just our perception that everything needs and should be middle/upper class? What would it take to create a better SFV?
SFV was never perceived as upper class... it was more working class. People are longing for those working class affordable neighborhoods.

Once the gangs takeover that seems to be the death of a neighborhood. I guess the fear of the gangs is too great to fight them. Los Angeles woman was shot in the head and killed a few weeks ago... She honked her horn at a tagger and was killed for it.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:56 PM

19 posts, read 97,387 times
Quote:
SFV was never perceived as upper class... it was more working class. People are longing for those working class affordable neighborhoods.

That was exactly my point. While the more affluent have million dollar homes the working class gets the leftovers.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
People are longing for those working class affordable neighborhoods.
Nice home in a nice part of Colorado Springs:

Zillow - Home Info (http://www.zillow.com/HomeInfo.htm?zprop=58404544 - broken link)

Nice home in a nice part of Castle Rock:

Zillow - Home Info (http://www.zillow.com/HomeInfo.htm?zprop=2146939055 - broken link)

Nice home in a nice part of Denver (Highlands Ranch):

Zillow - 10702 Briarglen Cir, Highlands Ranch, CO 80130

Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Not all SFV is working class. There are nice homes in Woodland Hills, Porter Ranch and Chatsworth. I am talking about multi-million dollar compounds here. What I know is West SFV has been the better part of the Valley and the parts where Van nuys, North Hills, Sylmar, Pocoima, etc. are have been the undesirable part. Now the desire part (West SFV) is shrinking and the undesirable part is expanding into the desirable part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles