Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:54 AM

8 posts, read 32,350 times

Advertisements

Thank you CESpeed. My thoughts exactly. The message from OP almost had me laughing. There are some extreme exaggerations going around about the city and I really wish it would stop. I'm not from Compton, I wasn't born in Compton, and I've never lived in Compton in all of my 26 years, but I've spent ALOT of time there. My neighborhood does not consist of a high percentage of gangbangers, illegals, or white trash, BUT that's if you're looking from a demographical basis only. In reality more than a handful of residents on my street don't take care of their home or their lawn. I went into a neighbors home (caucasian older woman) and the entire house was cluttered and smelled like cat urine. I stayed only long enough not to be rude and hightailed it out of there. On my street and those surrounding it, it's basically hit and miss as to the nice homes; the ones where the owners actually care about watering and mowing their lawn, and not letting random objects accumulate on the sides of their home. Maybe I'm nitpicking but I don't think so.

Now as I said I've spent quite alot of my time these past few years in Compton and I was PLEASANTLY surprised at the pride of ownerships of many of its residents. I don't live in the ghetto by any means but street after street was peaceful and CLEAN. Neat homes, neat lawns, and "regular" people . Compton gets shredded by the media because 99.9% of the time they choose to only report the negative events. Many parts of Compton are as safe as many other cities that are not considered gang territory.

It's appalling the way people talk about Compton as if it's a warzone. If Compton was actually as bad as people assume it is, the crime rate would be quadruple or more what it is in reality. The OP is seriously making it more than what it is. And posters who are feeding into this are supporting it. Don't be afraid. Drive through Compton yourself and you will see that the 2 whole people defending the place actually are giving a credible argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 08:51 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
More than a decade ago, me and family took the wrong exit off the freeway and we ended up driving through some relatively nice looking working class suburbs. After realizing that we lost we pulled into the small parking lot of a local convenience store and asked some guys in their late teens and early twenties who were just hanging out in front where we were. They told us that we were in Compton and one of them gave us some really good directions to West Hollywood.

It really wasn't all that bad. I was pretty young at the time and I don't remember everything crystal clear, but it really wasn't that bad of a looking area. In fact, I remember some areas of the San Fernando Valley looking a lot more shabby and more like a typical "bad neighborhood" than Compton.

There are a couple of things to take into account. It was in middle of the day (between noon and 2PM) and the guys we spoke with are cool (might not have been smart enough to take the right exit, but if they were threatening or wearing colors, we would've been smart enough not approach them).

I probably wouldn't suggest hanging out in the area at night or anything like that. But just passing through poses little danger. In my personal experience most places with those kinds of reputations are usually blown out of proportion by either candy-ass white people who are afraid of any area that isn't a typical middle-class suburb or by people from those areas who like to stress how hard they are. Most people from really dangerous places (think war zones) don't brag about nor are they proud that their home is a virtual killing field.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:12 AM

5 posts, read 16,346 times
im white, and am from the southern part of pittsburgh. i was born in jordan downs, in watts. yeah there bad, but everyone out makes it out to be a million times worse than it is. i never really had any real problems about me being white in southcentral, compton, watts, and inglewood.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:27 PM

214 posts, read 872,096 times
as a middle age white male i been to compton for a job interview even though i did not see much of compton i did not have no problem at all driving down there just as long you conduct to your business in those area you will be just fine. it's all hype. just think of compton like any other major city like oakland, san francisco there is always places located in area we as people might feel unsafe.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:11 AM

59 posts, read 195,353 times
Believe it or not...Compton has gotten much better! You will be fine, especially during daylight hours!

Old 08-14-2008, 05:41 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
I have friends who live on Kalsman Avenue, close to W. Rosecrans and Central Ave. Even spent two weeks with them and walked my dog late at night and never had any problem. Her husbands parents family bought the house way back in the 50's and lived there until they died. I had the same view as some of the posters until I actually visited it. It's not Burbank or Brentwood, but parts are safe as anywhere else in the city.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:29 PM

10 posts, read 38,202 times
It would only be a bad idea if you are involved in gangs, and Compton is where your rival gang is.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 13,309 times
Talking I love da compton life

COMPTON IS DA BEST I KNOW PPL IN GANGS(BUT II DONT HANG 0uT WiiTH Them!!!!
I GOT USE TO ALL DA DRIVE BUYS

COMPTON IS NOT BAD AT ALL I LIVED THERE ALL LIFE
I DONT LIKE ppl WHO TALK BAD ABOUT COMPTON
COMPTON HAS SOME G00D SIDES T00
TALK TO ME ABOUT COMPTON AND I KOULD PROBALY GIVE INF0

I LOVE COMPTON

DAYLIGHT IS BETTER THOUGH!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,612 times
Do you want to hear the worst news about Compton? Well I purchased a house there and my property taxes are 6,000 a year for a single family home. How can that possibly be? That is an extra 500.00 a month added to my mortgage simply because this house is in Compton. I had no idea the property taxes in Compton were so high and they say is because of the crime rate. We (homeowners) have to pay the overtime bill the police officers have to do. I've approached police officers in this city and by far they have the worst attitude. And, here I am paying the their tab. Do you know how pissed off I am this is taking place. Why does it have to be that the property owners pay this tab or any other tab, isn't it enough we pay our mortgages. LA doesn't have this issue and neither does Beverly Hills and their city is beautiful. I can't even sit in my porch and enjoy tea or whatever. How can it be that Compton property tax is double than Beverly HIlls or any other city in ALL of California.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:44 PM

689 posts, read 2,582,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredcomptonhomeowner View Post
Do you want to hear the worst news about Compton? Well I purchased a house there and my property taxes are 6,000 a year for a single family home. How can that possibly be? That is an extra 500.00 a month added to my mortgage simply because this house is in Compton. I had no idea the property taxes in Compton were so high and they say is because of the crime rate. We (homeowners) have to pay the overtime bill the police officers have to do. I've approached police officers in this city and by far they have the worst attitude. And, here I am paying the their tab. Do you know how pissed off I am this is taking place. Why does it have to be that the property owners pay this tab or any other tab, isn't it enough we pay our mortgages. LA doesn't have this issue and neither does Beverly Hills and their city is beautiful. I can't even sit in my porch and enjoy tea or whatever. How can it be that Compton property tax is double than Beverly HIlls or any other city in ALL of California.
Property taxes are based upon the purchase price of the home, it really doesn't matter what city you are in. Some areas have special assessments but the bulk of the tax is from the county. Someone purchasing a property for $500,000 in Bevelry Hills, LA or Compton would pay the same basic rate for property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles