Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 08:49 PM

13 posts, read 84,239 times

Advertisements

Are sellers still liable for minor repairs after closing of a home? My buyer decided not to do a home inspection, but after closing, complains of some minor issues such as two window screens being slightly bent, a running toilet and a wood window shutter not closing properly. Am I still liable for paying for the repairs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:07 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,664 times
As far as I know, No. Buyers had every opportunity to request reapirs before the close of escrow. They should have gotten a home inspection but these are such minor things I don't think the inspector would have noticed, except maybe the running toilet. Tell the buyer welcome to the wonderful world of home ownerhsip, there's always something that needs to be fixed.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
As far as I know, No. Buyers had every opportunity to request reapirs before the close of escrow. They should have gotten a home inspection but these are such minor things I don't think the inspector would have noticed, except maybe the running toilet. Tell the buyer welcome to the wonderful world of home ownerhsip, there's always something that needs to be fixed.
So true. And those are things that can be fixed with a trip to Home Depot and an hour's work. Tell the new owner to suck it up and fix his house.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:38 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2NJguy View Post
Are sellers still liable for minor repairs after closing of a home? My buyer decided not to do a home inspection, but after closing, complains of some minor issues such as two window screens being slightly bent, a running toilet and a wood window shutter not closing properly. Am I still liable for paying for the repairs?
no, not for patent defects that could have been discovered upon inspection. your realtor should have been able to tell you that.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:25 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2NJguy View Post
... some minor issues such as two window screens being slightly bent, a running toilet and a wood window shutter not closing properly...
All those things could have been spotted by the buyer had they bothered to look over the property before contracting to buy the house. The issues the seller would have been responsible for are major defects that were not disclosed to the buyer.

When I purchased my house my broker placed a clause in the closing agreement that the seller warranted that all appliances and major systems were in proper working condition. It turned out that the gas company refused to light the pilot on one wall heater, stating the heater was unsafe. I contacted the seller and they laughed at me, so I hired an HVAC contractor to fix it, and sent a copy of the bill to the buyer along with a letter demanding payment for the repairs (about $130). They ignored my letter, I sued them in small claims court and won. I would have had no case had the seller not agreed to the terms in the closing instructions.

I don't see why small stuff like window screens and shutters should be covered when the buyer could have plainly seen the defects and the seller did not sign any agreement to repair small stuff.

Since the OP appears to be the seller, I'd advise to just politely tell the seller that the agreement does not cover that and to decline accepting any responsibility or making any payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles