Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 01:17 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,953 times

Advertisements

From what I've read in articles, black and brown gangs got along pretty good, but nowadays, its turn into a racial gang war. Why? How did the LA turn into a racial gang war? I'm seriously need to know.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:56 AM

268 posts, read 1,199,975 times
I lived in the Los Angeles area for 36 years, much of it during the 80's and 90's when gang violence really blew up. I don't know that I would characterize the relationship between Black and Hispanic gangs as having ever been good. They had very defined territories so they didn't really have much interaction then. Rather then being friendly it was more a case of, that's yours, this is ours, let's leave it at that.

What has changed is the fact that the Hispanic population of Los Angeles has grown greatly, while the Black population has stagnated and even declined. Hispanics have moved into areas that were once primarily Black, in some cases becoming the majority population in those places. The bottom line is that Hispanics are pushing the Blacks out, making them a minority within the rest of the minorities. The gang violence between Blacks and Hispanics is just an offshoot of this.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:03 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:22 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
also the mexican mafia prison gang can controll the street gangs because if any street gangbangers goes to prison La Eme will hand them their arse if they do not obey them

In the Cali prison system, the races normally stick to themselves, so the hispanics are fighting the blacks in the prisons right now, so La Eme is telling the street gangs to fight the black street gangs

Old 07-13-2008, 08:47 AM

635 posts, read 1,746,885 times
I'm convinced those areas can change, and I want to change them. I have driven through South Los Angeles many times, and you see many depressed people and a great deal of poverty. One thing is very important, chop down the 1920 homes or renovate them. If at least 1/5 of all South Los Angeles residents were to take down there four foot front fence, do some landscape work, paint there home, the area would improve greatly.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeCalifornia View Post
I lived in the Los Angeles area for 36 years, much of it during the 80's and 90's when gang violence really blew up. I don't know that I would characterize the relationship between Black and Hispanic gangs as having ever been good. They had very defined territories so they didn't really have much interaction then. Rather then being friendly it was more a case of, that's yours, this is ours, let's leave it at that.

What has changed is the fact that the Hispanic population of Los Angeles has grown greatly, while the Black population has stagnated and even declined. Hispanics have moved into areas that were once primarily Black, in some cases becoming the majority population in those places. The bottom line is that Hispanics are pushing the Blacks out, making them a minority within the rest of the minorities. The gang violence between Blacks and Hispanics is just an offshoot of this.
Yeah, what he (or she) said. I don't recall blacks and browns ever getting along, but with the massive undocumented immigration of Latinos into the area they are asserting their power while the blacks are trying to stay alive, fighting what is IMO a hopeless war. Just as the mainstream browns are taking over California from the whites the gang browns are taking over gangland from all contenders.

I also think it's a branching out from the rivalry between blacks and browns in prison. In fact I think to some degree crime is mainstreaming, disrespect of the law is increasing, scoffing of immigration laws becoming the main growth model for the populace of California, and that scoffing the law spreading to all aspects of life in this state. Illegal drugs are a growth industry. Gangs are essential to the growth of crime so they are expanding too, and it's the browns who are expanding the most and the quickest.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:36 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
I'm convinced those areas can change, and I want to change them. I have driven through South Los Angeles many times, and you see many depressed people and a great deal of poverty. One thing is very important, chop down the 1920 homes or renovate them. If at least 1/5 of all South Los Angeles residents were to take down there four foot front fence, do some landscape work, paint there home, the area would improve greatly.
You can't be serious. Do you honestly believe that changing an area aesthetically will cure gang violence and the race wars? Yes, poverty is a problem and the homes do need renovation (NOT destruction) but this will not cure the racial tensions in this city.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:16 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
From what I've read in articles, black and brown gangs got along pretty good, but nowadays, its turn into a racial gang war. Why? How did the LA turn into a racial gang war? I'm seriously need to know.
Where'd you hear that? My mom grew up in LA in the 50's and 60's and even back then, the blacks and Mexicans were frequently fighting it out in the high schools. Of course back then, it was more with fists or knives than guns.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:57 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Where'd you hear that? My mom grew up in LA in the 50's and 60's and even back then, the blacks and Mexicans were frequently fighting it out in the high schools. Of course back then, it was more with fists or knives than guns.
Exactly. I grew up in the same era, same observation, San Fernando Valley. Only then there were fewer Latinos.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:19 PM

689 posts, read 2,582,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Yeah, what he (or she) said. I don't recall blacks and browns ever getting along, but with the massive undocumented immigration of Latinos into the area they are asserting their power while the blacks are trying to stay alive, fighting what is IMO a hopeless war. Just as the mainstream browns are taking over California from the whites the gang browns are taking over gangland from all contenders.

I also think it's a branching out from the rivalry between blacks and browns in prison. In fact I think to some degree crime is mainstreaming, disrespect of the law is increasing, scoffing of immigration laws becoming the main growth model for the populace of California, and that scoffing the law spreading to all aspects of life in this state. Illegal drugs are a growth industry. Gangs are essential to the growth of crime so they are expanding too, and it's the browns who are expanding the most and the quickest.
Wow, is it Lovehound or hatebrown? "mainstream browns are taking over California from the whites.." What is a "mainstream brown" and what are they taking over? And race wars between black gangs and latino gangs are caused by "the massive undocumented immigration of Latinos into the area" No other causes, just an immigration issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles