Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: work in Bellflower, where is the best place to live in LA?
south pasadena 2 18.18%
irvine 2 18.18%
long beach 5 45.45%
others 3 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 AM

3 posts, read 10,362 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have been readign many threads in here but still haven't gotten information that I need. My fiance works in Bellflower, CA and I'll be looking for a job after passing my boards. He's been there for just a year but still don't know the area well whereas I'll be moving there in a month.

where is the best place to live that he'll not have difficult time with the traffic?

what's the best walkable and reasonable price in apartment wise? I am from NYC so I like to live in a place similar to it, places that I can walk to with friendly people will be a plus. We're renting for now so not looking for a place to buy just yet.

Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 07:43 AM

570 posts, read 1,583,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by none0000 View Post
Hello All,

I have been readign many threads in here but still haven't gotten information that I need. My fiance works in Bellflower, CA and I'll be looking for a job after passing my boards. He's been there for just a year but still don't know the area well whereas I'll be moving there in a month.

where is the best place to live that he'll not have difficult time with the traffic?

what's the best walkable and reasonable price in apartment wise? I am from NYC so I like to live in a place similar to it, places that I can walk to with friendly people will be a plus. We're renting for now so not looking for a place to buy just yet.

Thank you all.
I am from NYC so I like to live in a place similar to it// I don't understand? If you want the place to look like NYC Don't come to Los Angeles, LA is not NY in any way. ME I would not want to live in either one.
Their is a place in Las Vegas That is called New York New York and is made to look like NYC.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:45 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
Well, Cerritos and La Mirada are nice, and close to Bellflower. I doubt you would consider them walkable, though, and they certainly do not resemble NYC in the slightest. Of the cities in your poll, Long Beach probably would do best. There are lots of threads on Long Beach, its urbanity, etc. I understand that it is reasonably priced as well.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 AM

916 posts, read 3,700,670 times
belmont shore or downtown long beach

Old 07-21-2008, 11:39 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
i would say long beach. downtown. its not that far from bellflower. some areas are very pedestrian and walkable. others are more residential(north LB). some parts are kinda trashy, but LBC has a bit og everything. many nice old areas. check it out.

if south pas is an option i would suggest going further north into Pasadena. its more walkable.

irvine is way residential and cookie cutter. kinda boring too.

good luck.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
I agree with the one, I think he nailed it.

I'm a Noreaster and prefer the Eagle Rock, So Pas areas. There are some nice places in Eagle Rock, not far from the main drag (Colorado Blvd.). In fact, I was just down there a couple of days ago: lots of new restaurants and stores, a Trader Joe's, easy freeway access. I haven't been to Long Beach in years, but I hear it is quite the happening spot, especially downtown.

The Bixby Knolls area of Long Beach is very nice- alittle stodgy for my taste, but certainly safe and pleasant. East Long Beach, especially the area east of Los Coyotes and adjacent to El Dorado Park is about as leafy and suburban as you can get. I lived near Woodruff and Spring for a couple of years.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:26 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
for walkable you need coastal long beach, seal beach, or los alamitos. outside of that the commute gets pretty bad for walkable towns

Old 07-25-2008, 10:56 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,965 times
One of the biggest suggestions I can give you is to not set yourself up for a big commute, it will ruin your life. Southeastern L.A. County is a huge bedroom community, some parts are nicer than others, some are icky. I'd pick Long Beach over Pasadena only because of the commute time, although I prefer the latter. Pasadena to Bellflower can be an ugly commute at crunch time, not as bad to LB. People in that area tend to orient toward LB anyway. Rent tends to be reasonable compared to the rest of the L.A. area.

My friends from NYC all say Old Pas is the closest thing you'll find to the East Village. That said, L.A. and NYC are polar opposites. New Yorkers either love it here or absolutely hate it, there seems to be no middle ground.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:38 PM

3 posts, read 10,362 times
Default thank you

Thank you all for the responses.

I would take all the recommendations and drive around to all these areas to check it out. There are dislikes and likes about LA but I will always miss NYC and I do realize that LA will not be similar to NYC, I just want a place that is not like Tustin, irvine area where my fiance is currently staying. It's too boring!!

How's the commute from pasadena to bellflower during rush hours and off peak hours?

Thank you.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 PM

81 posts, read 367,410 times
I would Say La Mirada!!! Its a nice city. But atleast a 30-40 min commute lots of Traffic That Way. Same with Cerritos. Long Beach By ElDorado Park is nice and is almost in Seal beach A great small town city.Maybe Belmont SHore???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles