Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:35 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If you want I will rent you the shed behind my place. There is no bathroom or kitchen area but the local Carl's Jr. is less than a block away and they do have a restroom you can use and plenty of food to eat. Not sure if it is a legal rental but if you don't say anything I won't either. Oh and I only accept cash payable on the 1st of the month. Don't worry about ever being evicted. Remember this is just between CDF friends. We don't need any legal issues between friends.
This sums it up really well.

I know SOON2BNSURPRISE, that you were joking, but it's close to what happens when you choose to live in a garage "apartment", pay rent in cash with no receipts (I would've moved out after the first refusal of receipt for payment). Choose to bother the landlord about a fire in the alley instead of calling the fire department (what does one expect the landlord to do?) and then go rat them out for renting you an illegal unit! I think this person gave their landlord no choice in the matter and should just find a new place.

I just don't get the logic of renters sometimes. And I have rented and managed properties, so I have unfortunately seen it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 06:43 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
And just how will he prove this fraud ?. He rented a garage , he used the garage, the land lord would have continued to rent the garage BUT the city terminated the use of the garage , he served him notice that he no longer wanted to rent to him . END of argument! find another place to sleep. Verbal contract month to month. He does not need any excuse in the State of Calif.,just that he does not want to do it any more . get EDUCATED. I have ....
Apparently, you don't read posts you quote. And you have no idea what constitutes a legal dwelling. Just because a structure was once a garage does not mean that it cannot be LEGALLY converted into a living space. And since it was represented as a legal dwelling, the renter had every right to expect that it was, in fact, a legal dwelling. The damages do not come from the rents that were paid, though there are judges who may feel that way, but a majority of the damages come from the expenses of having to move due to the fradulent claims of the landlord. Now had the landlord told the tenant, "this is on the DL" well, you gambled, you lost. But that is not the case. This landlord is a slumlord in the making.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:14 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Apparently, you don't read posts you quote. And you have no idea what constitutes a legal dwelling. Just because a structure was once a garage does not mean that it cannot be LEGALLY converted into a living space. And since it was represented as a legal dwelling, the renter had every right to expect that it was, in fact, a legal dwelling. The damages do not come from the rents that were paid, though there are judges who may feel that way, but a majority of the damages come from the expenses of having to move due to the fradulent claims of the landlord. Now had the landlord told the tenant, "this is on the DL" well, you gambled, you lost. But that is not the case. This landlord is a slumlord in the making.
GOOD TRY , but the fact remains in "CALIFORNIA" I , as a land lord DO NOT have to have a reason to terminate a month to month agrement weather it is written or verbal agreement. There is no gamble you lost. Facts ,how long did the tennant pay to stay there ( 1 Month ) see thats why we do MONTH to MONTH . Get real ! What DAMAGES ???? Had he decided to move out after 1 or 2 mo. for what ever reason would the land lord be damaged , could he sue for his loss??

Old 08-17-2008, 07:56 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Quote:
GOOD TRY , but the fact remains in "CALIFORNIA" I , as a land lord DO NOT have to have a reason to terminate a month to month agrement weather it is written or verbal agreement. There is no gamble you lost. Facts ,how long did the tennant pay to stay there ( 1 Month ) see thats why we do MONTH to MONTH . Get real ! What DAMAGES ???? Had he decided to move out after 1 or 2 mo. for what ever reason would the land lord be damaged , could he sue for his loss??
...he says conveniently ignoring the lack of habitablity. And please explain to me how a "law school educated" person doesn't know the difference between "weather" and "whether"? Of course, your response also demonstrates clear problems with reading comprehension skills. How did you ever pass the LSAT?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:13 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
...he says conveniently ignoring the lack of habitablity. And please explain to me how a "law school educated" person doesn't know the difference between "weather" and "whether"? Of course, your response also demonstrates clear problems with reading comprehension skills. How did you ever pass the LSAT?
do that just so SOME of you will have something to write about , have a good day, doesn't change a thing except that i had spell check off Ha , Ha .

Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,029 times
I have lived in the same house for 30 years. I moved in with my grandparents when I was 12. My grandfather passed away 18 years ago. My grandmother decided to divide the land in half for me and my mother. 7 years ago my mothers new husband convinced my grandmother to switch the land and give them my half so they could borrow more money.They promised her "my" house would still be mine. They also promised me it was still mine and I would never have to pay rent just pay half the property taxes since "My house and shop" are on their property, fair enough. Grandma passed away in June. On Dec. 10th they told me if I wanted to stay in "my" house I would have to pay rent or get out which I refused. On Jan. 17 they gave me a 3 day vacate notice, 3 DAYS TO MOVE 30 YEARS OF MY LIFE!. I have paid all utilities for 18 years and half the property taxes for 7, plus over $20,000.00 in improvements to "my" house, keept up the mowing of their 7.5 acres and maintained the driveway all at my expense. Any recourse?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
Quote:
do that just so SOME of you will have something to write about , have a good day, doesn't change a thing except that i had spell check off Ha , Ha .
I think he meant that you could not spell, not the computer.
Law school looks about right!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:51 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabb View Post
I have lived in the same house for 30 years. I moved in with my grandparents when I was 12. My grandfather passed away 18 years ago. My grandmother decided to divide the land in half for me and my mother. 7 years ago my mothers new husband convinced my grandmother to switch the land and give them my half so they could borrow more money.They promised her "my" house would still be mine. They also promised me it was still mine and I would never have to pay rent just pay half the property taxes since "My house and shop" are on their property, fair enough. Grandma passed away in June. On Dec. 10th they told me if I wanted to stay in "my" house I would have to pay rent or get out which I refused. On Jan. 17 they gave me a 3 day vacate notice, 3 DAYS TO MOVE 30 YEARS OF MY LIFE!. I have paid all utilities for 18 years and half the property taxes for 7, plus over $20,000.00 in improvements to "my" house, keept up the mowing of their 7.5 acres and maintained the driveway all at my expense. Any recourse?
Get an attorney. Paying property tax for 7 years probably gives you some leverage.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
revenge what other choice do you have, turn your malice into cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles