Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:10 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,781,540 times

Advertisements

try and find a sales job. ive worked in liquor and termite industries in so cal and they are always looking for salesmen. having any type of formal education helps generally and they dont really care if you know much about the industry because they train you on the way.

just to give an idea about termite. a salesman for terminix makes about 12/hr draw plus commission. i know a few that routinely hit 100k in take home year to year, but i also knew some that couldnt sell worth a damn and they're gone after 2-3 months. most competent guys i know are making 50-80k. you're getting to the slow time of year, but some managers will use that time to hire for the busy season(subterranean termite season, starts in march or so when our paltry rain season starts) since you need to get a sales license and possibly an applicators license to sell pest control in california(otherwise you're running with another salesman and split commissions somehow).

liquor/beer distributorships:
Anheuser-Busch Beach Cities
Triangle
Harbor
Straub
Southern Wine and Spirits

major termite cos:
Terminix
Western
Dewey
Orkin
Hydrex

Last edited by bhcompy; 10-15-2008 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:04 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,422,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotfitched View Post
Roland,

My resume submissions are near 500 in 2 months. Saying that the situation blows is an understatement. haha. I wish you the best and keep us all updated!

-Chris
Updated resume sent total for me...

Gmail: 345 sent
.Mac: 295 sent

tough times out there.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 PM

111 posts, read 466,787 times
I feel yea, ive been looking for a job for about two months. Im usually a waiter but after looking hard for 5 wks, i decided to downgrade for the time being......I got a job at starbucks...lol HUGE paycut...but what can ya do....theyre only gunna be giving me like 20-25 hrs a wk, but i guess its better then nothing...i know the feeling of being stressed out and not being able to sleep and when you do, you wake up four hours later with the same exact thing on your mind.....I NEED A JOB...sucks out there...i hope you find something soon....

Old 10-16-2008, 01:00 AM

956 posts, read 3,004,580 times
Watch out for liquor distributorships. My cousin had that job -- they sent him into ghetto type areas and he barely got out with his life.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:48 AM

109 posts, read 388,455 times
Look for jobs out-of-State

Old 10-16-2008, 03:04 PM

145 posts, read 368,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland123 View Post
Hey all, just wondering if a few of you might offer some advice. I am having a hell of a time finding a job. Can't even get a low wage job to tide me over. It seems like employers are not willing to give someone with experience these types of jobs. I understand their point of view, but it's still frustrating.
I've signed on with employment agencies and they say there's not many jobs right now. I've also exhausted my contacts. They know of nothing.

Anyway, any help or knowledge would be appreciated. I have a background in entertainment and management and need something to happen quickly. I'm probably 2 weeks from eviction. On the off chance that anyone here would like to see my resume, I can direct you to my website.

Thanks
what industry have you worked in, specifically what have you done?

Old 10-17-2008, 10:29 AM

201 posts, read 861,693 times
Employers are not currently that interested in hiring in this very jittery economy. I have a friend who has been looking for a marketing job for a year (he still currently has a job). He has an MBA and many years of experience. He told me that it's been very slow with little bites on his resume here and there. I shared with him my observation of the recession in 2001 that it's going to be very slow to nothing. Wages are going to be depressed as companies start dumping people and when candidates take jobs for "any" pay that is offered. Here in NorCal, there's already reports of lay offs by companies. As is always, when the economy gets so soft, the job market becomes very challenging for those who are fresh from school (lack of experience). Companies get to hire a very seasoned person for a lower wage, so they would typically take that over hiring someone who is inexperienced. Given the severity of the financial meltdown, do not expect for this downturn to be short term. It's going to last for some years. The trickle down effects from the financial institution meltdown from NYC has begun to hit CA companies and they are reacting out of deep business worries.

I am sorry to have to share such bad news.

Last edited by speedoflight; 10-17-2008 at 11:06 AM..

Old 10-17-2008, 02:53 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,513,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland123 View Post
Hey all, just wondering if a few of you might offer some advice. I am having a hell of a time finding a job. Can't even get a low wage job to tide me over. It seems like employers are not willing to give someone with experience these types of jobs. I understand their point of view, but it's still frustrating.
I've signed on with employment agencies and they say there's not many jobs right now. I've also exhausted my contacts. They know of nothing.

Anyway, any help or knowledge would be appreciated. I have a background in entertainment and management and need something to happen quickly. I'm probably 2 weeks from eviction. On the off chance that anyone here would like to see my resume, I can direct you to my website.

Thanks
I don't know who this will mesh with you, but I had some friends, male & female, who worked from their apartment and as a side benefit, worked as the property manager of the complex. These particular situations were for newer 20-30 unit bldgs. One friend recieved free rent, the other paid about 10-15% of the rent cost. That may be worthwhile option for you. Pretty easy, just requires a body to open doors, show units, schedule repairs, utilities, field info to the owner etc. Owners tend to look for people who have management experience.. Some will want you to have repair exp, but most don't want the manager making repairs and will have contracts with professionals to reduce liability.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:38 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,648,813 times
Wow this economy is really rough. I was sorry to read some of these stories, it just sounds so brutal. I hope you guys have better luck!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:22 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,484,971 times
Hmmmm, I thought it was EASIER to get a job in LA (such a huge city!). This doesn't sit well with me. I am an Indiana factory worker (basically a peasant) and folks here are clinging on to their crappy factory jobs with their life! My plan of living in LA is really heading down the tubes. Sounds like you guys have the same problem with jobs as we do. Only difference is I can get by on PT if I get laid off cuz my 1 bed plush apartment is only $450. mo But at least if you lose your job you can live on the beach, if I lose my job from Dec-Apr I would freeze to death!
I just can't believe jobs are so scarce in LA. Wierd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles