Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:56 PM

10 posts, read 38,082 times

Advertisements

I was chatting with a friend and they were saying that whites were moving into some South LA neighborhoods such as Watts, changing the area.

Is that true, or is it just a rumor my friend has told me? Do you think anything will change in South Los Angeles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 12:59 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
i've seen no evidence of whites moving into watts, but they are moving into traditionally black communities located MUCH farther north, such as west adams and arlington heights.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:03 PM

77 posts, read 303,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
but they are moving into traditionally black communities located MUCH farther north, such as west adams and arlington heights.
It's those beautiful well crafted Victorian homes that are being lost in foreclosures. Many of those homes were in forclosure before the big forclosure of 2008. Some of the new owners began upgrading and restoring them, and renting them out to film studios.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:40 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angel View Post
It's those beautiful well crafted Victorian homes that are being lost in foreclosures. Many of those homes were in forclosure before the big forclosure of 2008. Some of the new owners began upgrading and restoring them, and renting them out to film studios.
frankly, i don't care who owns them, as long as they love them and preserve their architectural integrity.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:50 PM

9 posts, read 31,582 times
I moved to South LA in 1987 and seen things change a lot since then.

Everybody that bought their homes for ~$150k got greedy during the housing boom and refi'd and got things they couldnt afford in the first place. For awhile it wasn't unusual to see a home falling apart with a new Escalade in the driveway.

The first area I saw white people moving into was Inglewood. I do believe in the long run more upper-middle class families will be moving into South LA.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
ya, south central is not seeing an influx of white residents.

the nicer areas with nice homes have seen a few savvy flippers, but these flippers moving in to the area is something completely different.

that hasnt happened yet.

as for a revitalization... a couple projects are in the works. a fresh and easy market is suppsoed to open soon. several apts/condo projects and commercial development projects are supposed to happen along central ave. but i think a true resurgence is a while away.
its slowly happening. some blocks were treated very nicely by the last real estate shabang. others stayed neglected. all the new schools have also improved the look and feel of the area as well. i have noticed that where there were schools built, residents also began fixing their homes and yards. i dont know if it was pure coincidence, but new schools and the real estate surge created nicer streets. but some still stayed neglected

live
from
florence
and
graham

still no white people.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:26 PM

672 posts, read 2,174,684 times
I'm white and I moved near Jefferson Blvd and Crenshaw Blvd about 4 years ago, which I guess is Jefferson Park or the Crenshaw District. When I moved in, I was apparently the only white person in the nearby blocks. Now I know of ten or so white households nearby. It is really just a blip on the radar. I wouldn't say that a handful of white people is really going to change the character of the neighborhood.

(But when I first moved in, people driving by would slow down to stare at me when I was outside mowing my lawn. A white guy mowing must have been a pretty unusual sight. LOL!)

The truth is that it is mostly white people without kids that are moving into West Adams and Jefferson Park: gays and hipsters. I don't think you'll see an influx of white parents and Asian parents in areas without perfect public schools. (Not that I agree with that philosophy. I think good students will excel and bad students will fail regardless of the school quality. I'm just saying...)

I don't think that trend will continue, though, if prices come down a lot. To be honest, if I could have bought in a more white neighborhood on the money I made I might have done so. But I'm not the type of guy that is going to overspend just to live in a beach town. You have to buy a house at 35 if you want it paid off by the time you retire. It is as simple at that. I've had no problems where I'm at, and my neighbors are good people. Even so, if I were in a more white neighborhood, I think I might have had more success turning my civil relationships with my neighbors into actual friendships. That's something I haven't really had success with yet.

With respect to Watts, I really do think it is getting better slowly. I'm not down there too often, but, it doesn't looks as torn up as it did in the 1990s. But, I'm just going by appearances. I don't think that has much to do with demographics. I don't know what to attribute that to. Reduction in crime, perhaps. But there have been a lot of foreclosures in Watts in this downturn, and without all the funny loans for new buyers, I think a lot of those homes are going to end up becoming rentals, which might push the neighborhood down again. But, it is hard to forecast.

[Edit]

And as an aside, when my grandparents first moved to LA in the 1950s, they lived at Manchester and Vermont.

Last edited by Mike121; 10-28-2008 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-28-2008, 03:52 PM

829 posts, read 2,954,780 times
you will see some whites on the west side of south central, and into inglewood, but on the east side of south central(including) watts...there arent many at all....seen it first hand...

Old 10-29-2008, 09:59 AM

9 posts, read 31,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
I'm white and I moved near Jefferson Blvd and Crenshaw Blvd about 4 years ago, which I guess is Jefferson Park or the Crenshaw District. When I moved in, I was apparently the only white person in the nearby blocks. Now I know of ten or so white households nearby. It is really just a blip on the radar. I wouldn't say that a handful of white people is really going to change the character of the neighborhood.

(But when I first moved in, people driving by would slow down to stare at me when I was outside mowing my lawn. A white guy mowing must have been a pretty unusual sight. LOL!)

The truth is that it is mostly white people without kids that are moving into West Adams and Jefferson Park: gays and hipsters. I don't think you'll see an influx of white parents and Asian parents in areas without perfect public schools. (Not that I agree with that philosophy. I think good students will excel and bad students will fail regardless of the school quality. I'm just saying...)

I don't think that trend will continue, though, if prices come down a lot. To be honest, if I could have bought in a more white neighborhood on the money I made I might have done so. But I'm not the type of guy that is going to overspend just to live in a beach town. You have to buy a house at 35 if you want it paid off by the time you retire. It is as simple at that. I've had no problems where I'm at, and my neighbors are good people. Even so, if I were in a more white neighborhood, I think I might have had more success turning my civil relationships with my neighbors into actual friendships. That's something I haven't really had success with yet.

With respect to Watts, I really do think it is getting better slowly. I'm not down there too often, but, it doesn't looks as torn up as it did in the 1990s. But, I'm just going by appearances. I don't think that has much to do with demographics. I don't know what to attribute that to. Reduction in crime, perhaps. But there have been a lot of foreclosures in Watts in this downturn, and without all the funny loans for new buyers, I think a lot of those homes are going to end up becoming rentals, which might push the neighborhood down again. But, it is hard to forecast.

[Edit]

And as an aside, when my grandparents first moved to LA in the 1950s, they lived at Manchester and Vermont.

Well said.

My old neighbor (RIP) moved to South LA (Western & King) in the 1950s and he said he was only black guy on his block.

The people make the neighborhood not the color.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:47 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
There are more and more whites moving into traditionally Black upper-middle class enclaves of Ladera Heights, Baldwin Hills, Angeles Vista, View Park and Leimert Park. There many beautiful Spanish style homes in the Angeles Vista and View Park areas with extensive views strectching from the Santa Monica Mountains, downtown LA and on to the Voncent Thomas bridge in San Pedro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles