Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 23,160 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have info abt Baldwin park, LA. I got job transfer from Minneapolis to company in Baldwin Park. How is Baldwin park to live as a single mom? Or any safe/decent nighbourhood closer to baldwin Park? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:49 PM

162 posts, read 572,559 times
You might want to look at Covina or West Covina. Try to stay north of the 10 freeway, and the further north and east you go generally speaking, the nicer it is. I think Covina is your best bet, further east and north, Glendora, San Dimas.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Although your job is in Baldwin Park, you don't have to live there. you're within relatively easy commuting distance from some nice Foothill communities (i.e. cities along the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains) such as Pasadena, Arcadia, Monrovia, Glendora, San Dimas, Claremont, etc. Choices, of course, depend on your budget. Also, Interstate 210 is heavy during rush hour so consider that when choosing.

I would have considered those communities if I didn't work further to the east along the 210 (where other choices where available to me).

Old 06-04-2008, 01:26 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,458 times
Hey .. just wondering what is bad about Baldwin Park? I've checked out the crime statistics and they are well below national average

Old 06-04-2008, 01:33 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
I'm not sure its the safety/crime issue here. Baldwin Park and surrounding communities are majority minority areas and someone who doesn't fall into the particular ethnic group of the area would probably feel pretty uncomfortable.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Hey .. just wondering what is bad about Baldwin Park? I've checked out the crime statistics and they are well below national average
According to City-Data's stats and California School Performance Maps, its poor, uneducated, overwhelmingly Hispanic, and the schools suck. Sounds like a great place to raise a kid by yourself.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:48 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,458 times
Nothing wrong with that stuff to me.. I don't have kids yet and even when I do there's more important things in life than school performance .. Parents should co-teach their kids and not just throw them for the schools to deal with them .. It's different priorities.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Nothing wrong with that stuff to me.. I don't have kids yet and even when I do there's more important things in life than school performance .. Parents should co-teach their kids and not just throw them for the schools to deal with them .. It's different priorities.
That attitude is how good neighborhoods turn into slums. Poor school performance is an indicator of bigger problems in a city. Thanks for reinforcing the reason I'm leaving this state. You can stay here and enjoy poverty and illiteracy.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:26 PM

330 posts, read 1,314,224 times
Talking Hasta La Vista Los Angeles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That attitude is how good neighborhoods turn into slums. Poor school performance is an indicator of bigger problems in a city. Thanks for reinforcing the reason I'm leaving this state. You can stay here and enjoy poverty and illiteracy.
I second that! I am leaving Mexifornia too. Anywhere but here. Hasta La Vista Los Angeles!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,525 times
Default Boooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
I second that! I am leaving Mexifornia too. Anywhere but here. Hasta La Vista Los Angeles!

Come on people...it's obvious the Mexifornian's aren't going anywhere. Texas Turkey and Escape CA both killed it when you got racial. This is supposed to be Mexifornia not the damn South!!! How about we all got off our high horse and realize we have no lives since we have time to spend on a dumb city message board. Can I get an amen...I know someone will probably write some dumb reply to this because you got your panties in a bunch. But guess what I'm ignorant...I DON'T CARE! Your ignorant too for wasting your time like I just did replying!!!! HAHAHAHA, I love this country. I couldn't write something like this somewhere else. blah blah blah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles