Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:54 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times

Advertisements

Maybe child molesters don't have a choice. Personally I don't believe many of them can be rehabilitated at all, which means the safest place for these predators is a prison.

But the real point is that you are linking child molesters and gay people as similarly "deviant"; this is reprehensible and incredibly insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
remember the medical community is just practicing and changes what they believe all the time. You always have a choice. Is that like saying that the child molestors don't have a choice either? How about other sexual deviants?

Old 11-15-2008, 11:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Quake View Post
People cannot simply revive topics when they lose; especially when the people do not want them revived.

Put down your protest signs and pay your taxes.

Stop your whining. Teach your children well. The people have spoken.
Kid, the problem with your argument is that the California Supreme Court did make a decision on this subject, but the "Yes On 8" organization decided that the court's opinion didn't matter, and they pressed on.

The people often don't have the last word, and for good reason, especially when it comes to amending the Constitution. If the word of the people was truly the final verdict, then we wouldn't have any need for a judicial branch of government, would we?

So no, telling the protesters to be quiet and go home isn't going to work. If "Yes on 8" had lost, you can bet they wouldn't have just given up. If there weren't court challenges, they certainly would have placed a new proposition on the ballot next year.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:04 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I am sick and tired of people saying that being gay is a choice. Did anyone who is heterosexual choose to be that way? No, right? We just were, without giving it a thought. Exactly. The same thing is true of homosexuals. They never had a choice to make; that's just who they are. Unless any of you heterosexuals can truly claim that you woke up one day and made a conscious choice to be that way, stop claiming that homosexuals did the same thing in their sexual orientation.

This has nothing to do with God. Men wrote the Bible; God didn't. And if you take the Bible literally, then I suppose you believe that slavery is still a good idea, right?
This has everything to do with if you beleive the Bible is the word of God. If you don't then do what you please. If you do then you would also believe that we as people are tempted to do some things that are against God's will. Not all people face the same temptation. The fact is that many are tempted sexually by those of the same sex. Others are tempted by young teen age girls. And still others think that Children are a sexual object. What do we do about all these people? Most of them realize that it would be wrong to pursue the temptation and keep themselves in check. Others do not. It is all in how you handle your own personal temptation. If you believe in the Bible you also believe that their is a Devil that has the power to tempt us. He knows us as well as God does. Some people give into the temptation. The desire is so strong that they believe they must have been born that way. For me I know that God lives, I know that Jesus is the Christ and that he took upon him all of our sins. I know that the Bible is the word of God. I also know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
See that is the problem. You believe that it isn't a choice and I say it is. What people can't choose is the color of their skin, if they are a man or a woman, if they are short or tall, what color your eyes are, or the natural color of your hair. What you can choose to do is how you want to act in life, treat others, give in to base desires. Your saying that people are born a certain way. I am saying that is not the case. If we are all children of a God and that God left instructions for us to follow then my point of view wins. If God does not exist then your point of view wins. Guess the idea is to determine if their is a God.
Do you have an advanced degree in psychology? In neurobiology? In psychiatry? If not, then really, why should we give any credence to your opinion on this subject?

You see, you're making a choice here too. You're choosing to not believe in science. You're choosing, I guess, to trust your gut. Okay, fine. If that's what work's for you, so be it. But don't expect intelligent people to take seriously your opinion on something as complicated as human sexuality.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:15 PM

[quote=AnUnidentifiedMale;6178104]Kid, the problem with your argument is that the California Supreme Court did make a decision on this subject, but the "Yes On 8" organization decided that the court's opinion didn't matter, and they pressed on.

You are right that the court has an opinion, but that is not what they are there for. The Court is to take what the people voted on determine that it does not get in the way of the Constitution of the State, or that the proposal would not go against constitutional law for the state of California. In the case of the former Proposition from 2000 the courts did not act in that way. They made an opinion and went with that outlawing what over 60% of the people wanted. What has happened is that this time around the people wrote a Proposition that would amend the States Constitution making it difficult for the court to go against the wishes of the people. An amendment to the Constitution only requires a majority vote.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Do you have an advanced degree in psychology? In neurobiology? In psychiatry? If not, then really, why should we give any credence to your opinion on this subject?

You see, you're making a choice here too. You're choosing to not believe in science. You're choosing, I guess, to trust your gut. Okay, fine. If that's what work's for you, so be it. But don't expect intelligent people to take seriously your opinion on something as complicated as human sexuality.
What school did you get your degree in?

Old 11-15-2008, 11:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
I don't think there's a "one size fits all" solution for whether gays and lesbians are born that way or not, although many people clearly are born gay or lesbian and there is scientific evidence to suggest that homosexuality is genetic in many if not most cases.

Sigmund Freud thought that all human beings were born bisexual, and he was probably correct IMO.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-15-2008 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text

Old 11-15-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
What school did you get your degree in?
I know how to read, my friend, and I respect the scientific research and studies that have been conducted over the years on human sexuality.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
remember the medical community is just practicing and changes what they believe all the time. You always have a choice. Is that like saying that the child molestors don't have a choice either? How about other sexual deviants?
I give up.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Just a reminder, folks, that the topic of this thread is "Protestors Are Ripping on El Coyote Restaurant." I suggest that if you'd like to discuss the issues of homosexuality, religion, and/or 1960's TV sitcoms, that you start threads in those Forums.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles