Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 AM

689 posts, read 2,583,002 times

Advertisements

There are lots of non-profit agencies in the area that are always looking for well educated people for work. It's kind of entry level, white-collar work. Usually the pay is not great but they typically offer benefits and there are lots of opportunities to interact with the corporations and government offices these non-profits work with. They run the gammut from non-profit housing agencies to advocacy groups for cancer patients. With a degree you should be able to find a job like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,712 times
One of the nice things about Southern CA if you're not a native is that most people around you are also from somewhere else! For me, who was transplanted to CA from Europe as a teenager, knowing that I'm surrounded by "transplants" has always been a comfort.

As short note on Southern CA jobs. It seems that with your education you should be able to find work without too much trouble. Just know that jobs in and around L.A. pay more than in outlying areas. The difference can be a lot. In Ventura or Santa Barbara counties expect to be paid 30% - 40% less than those same jobs would pay you in L.A. If you do choose an outlying area, don't discount consulting, freelance or self-employment as an option. If you have a good skill or service to provide, a rich area like Santa Barbara might offer clients for you. Just something to consider.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:48 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,924 times
congrats and welcome.

jobs: there are plenty of jobs in LA and greater LA. if you are interested in psych work you can link up with the numerous non profits in LA proper or you can also link up with a school district. the only thing is that a lot of people move here, so the field is a bit more competitive. and they prefer experience. ever thought about being a corecctions counselor? work in the youth camps(jail). good pay, and most arent really dangerous. its mostly baby sitting. they have positions for corrections officers and corrections counselors. but jobs abound.

home: burbank and glendale are nice places, but a bit too suburban for me. santa clarita is definitely TOO suburban. but if that seems like a good fit, check out brbnk or glndl. they are closer to LA, but you dont have to trek thru so much traffic. pasadena is also a good place.

bike: i have friend who are bikers. some of them have had nothing but pleasant experiences. others not so much. it was a year in oct that we buried a good friend of mine. he was riding his bike, a car pulled out of a parking lot in front of him with out checking. he swerved, nicked the front of the car, thrown in the air, died. i think some motorists dont pay attention at all, and especially when it comes to smaller vehicles. little cars dont get much respect from the pickups and tahoes and hummers. and the bikes, they are almost invisible to some of these SUV driving idiots. its a gamble.

anything else?

Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Anyplace can look great for just a month, especially California. The real test comes when you move to a place and call it home. After the novelty wears off, then you get the real feel of the place.

You're going to have to make that move to really discover the true meaning of the place for you.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:01 PM

45 posts, read 170,567 times
Thanks a lot everyone for the responses and advice! I will agree with the other post, the midwest seems a bit prejudiced against CA. But, as I'm finding, most of it's unfounded. People do poke fun at my accent though, but I take no offense. It makes me "exotic", right? No, it's not as bad as in Fargo.

I already feel like I discovered a "trick" to living cheaply... getting groceries from Target as opposed to Albertson's. That place was murder on my wallet, things are much cheaper at Target, and I can deal with the smaller selection for the savings. No, not a real tricky thing I know, but it excited me to learn soda in CA really wasn't that much more expensive than back home, lol.

A big concern I have is summer heat, but the only way to know is try, right? I'm still cold adapted a bit, I'm often the only person wearing shorts and t-shirts on nights out when everyone else has pants and sleeves. By the time summer rolls around I should be fine.

Thanks a lot, everyone. I really appreciate it!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:13 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,420,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfulpup View Post
Thanks a lot everyone for the responses and advice! I will agree with the other post, the midwest seems a bit prejudiced against CA. But, as I'm finding, most of it's unfounded. People do poke fun at my accent though, but I take no offense. It makes me "exotic", right? No, it's not as bad as in Fargo.

I already feel like I discovered a "trick" to living cheaply... getting groceries from Target as opposed to Albertson's. That place was murder on my wallet, things are much cheaper at Target, and I can deal with the smaller selection for the savings. No, not a real tricky thing I know, but it excited me to learn soda in CA really wasn't that much more expensive than back home, lol.

A big concern I have is summer heat, but the only way to know is try, right? I'm still cold adapted a bit, I'm often the only person wearing shorts and t-shirts on nights out when everyone else has pants and sleeves. By the time summer rolls around I should be fine.

If you really want to save money, shop at Vallartas and other "ethnic" stores. You can usually find produce at a fraction of the cost of Vons, Ralphs, etc...

Old 11-20-2008, 03:23 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,614,733 times
Quote:

Santa Clarita is hot during summer [90-100F] & the San Fernando Valley is also hot but it is mostly "dry" heat with lower humidity than the Midwest. It is not oppressive heat in California except the desert areas.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,480,640 times
Quote:

HAHAHA!!! I know the feeling! I was in LA for March and April and they were wearing long sleeves and pants, I was wearing shorts and t-shirt! I also got a lot of funny looks, so obviously I was an "outta towner" but with it being 20 degrees and gloomy back home I just HAD to enjoy the 60+ temps.

Another little
"trick", if you see a .99 Cent store (which are everywhere in LA) stop in sometime and take a look around. I ended up buying almost all my food and etc items there. Aside from main entrees they have most your essential needs there...all for a whopping .99 cents!
The dollar store in the midwest don't even compare, they tear apart the items and hike up the price, .99 stores don't. So check em out. You'll be addicted

Old 11-20-2008, 04:53 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,712 times
Quote:
I already feel like I discovered a "trick" to living cheaply... getting groceries from Target as opposed to Albertson's. That place was murder on my wallet, things are much cheaper at Target, and I can deal with the smaller selection for the savings....
I save tons of cash by shopping at thrift stores.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:07 PM

485 posts, read 1,704,633 times
Move to CA! I went to high school and college in Wisconsin, and would choose to live in CA over WI anyday!! Believe me, the hot summers in L.A. are MUCH more bearable than the bitter winters in WI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles