Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,550 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am currently living and working in Queens, NY, but I did live in L.A. a few years ago. I loved L.A., and always knew I would eventually return. Here in NY, I am only working part-time for my company, so when I saw that they had full-time positions within my company out there in L.A., I jumped on it. They are hiring immediately, and I did receive a call from them the other day. I also applied for management positions out there as well. Once you accept the position, you are given only a month to make the move (at your expense). Right now, I am still scouting for a place to live, would need to get a car out there, and ship my belongings. I have a friend at work who has a relative out in Redondo that may have a room available for rent.

Do you think it's a smart move to leave for the same salary I'm making here in NY, to go full-time out there? I know that I will not get full-time here for a very long time. I am weighing the cost of living expenses of both NY and Southern CA.

I am really stuck in my decision. It's a tough one because of the time crunch I am in (besides it being in the middle of the holiday season). My family are all out here on the East Coast, so of course, my family is discouraging the move. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:19 PM

32 posts, read 73,148 times
Well, I move a lot...and was born and raised in CA so I can't give you an NY perspective, but I have been to NY and can compare and contrast for you. First thing is traffic. The traffic is absolutely as bad...times 10-what they say it is. Find a place close to work if you hate commuting. Redondo Beach is still quite far from LA with traffic so consider that option. If you have always wanted to move here, you should do it...try it out and then see. I will tell you that everyone that moves here is always excited at first, but ends up getting sick of LA after a couple years and leaves. That's not trying to discourage you at all, but just what I've encountered. The people here are a rare breed...but you can find nice people also. Salary is going to be a little different, but not much and cost of living is pretty high out here also. If you live in the valley (Burbank, Studio City, North Hollywood) its cheaper and there is less traffic. Its hard to say about your family.....I have lived on the East Coast before and really missed my family, so that is a tough call. Follow your heart, because you can always move back to NY if you don't end up liking it. You never know until you try it.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:35 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,442,332 times
So you won't be making any more money to work full time here???? So the advantage of the move is you work more time here for the same pay??? If there was a salary increase for working full time I would give it a try, but it doesn't make sense to work more hours for the same amount of money you make back East.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:47 PM

219 posts, read 609,131 times
Taxes should be a factor in your decision, I think. I don't know what CA's total rate is, but NY state and NYC combined is the highest in the nation. Plus the cost of living in NYC is sky-high; the rough economy isn't really going to bring down the high cost of things like groceries, dining, dry cleaning, etc. So leaving NYC is like a bit of a pay raise.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:05 PM

656 posts, read 1,356,676 times
I don't know about that, I have been looking at moving to LA as well, and their taxes are very high as well. If you gross over 42k you have to pay the highest income tax rate of something like 9.2% which I hear is going to get higher as well. And you have a sales tax of atleast 7.25% and can go up to 9.25 % and that might even go up to 10+% now. So you have just state taxes closing near 20% and count your fed taxes in the equation, a big chunk of your income is gone.... thats not even considering the high cost of living/housing...

Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,880 times
Here are the things that you have to consider, plain and simple:

1. Will you be able to afford rent, a car payment and basic living expenses on your salary?
2. Even if you can afford all of the above, will you be able to still save some money so that you can have some "just in case" (as in, "just in case this job falls through in the future") money?
3. Will this job afford you traveling money and time for next year's and the following year's holidays since your faimily will probably not be coming here?

Finally, I wouldn't even ship my stuff out here. I would just try to sell it back in NY and buy all new stuff once I got an apartment in L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles