Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times

Advertisements

This is for all you non native LA people who moved here from wherever else you were from because LA is better and provide you with better opportunities than your home town.

I am sick of the transplants saying LA people do not know how to drive in the rain so I wanted to provide you with this little bit of info so that you wont be so ignorant as to why we drive slow in the rain.

The reason people here slow down when it rains is primarily for safety. Remember, it does not rain here too often and with millions of cars we have here commuting 24hrs a day on all our roads, streets and freeways, there is a lot of oil built up on the roads. During the first rain, it brings up all the oil in the ground and makes for extremely hazardous conditions (i.e., very slippery roads). When I was an assistant for a large motorcycle training group in Hollywood a number of years back, we always told our fellow riders that if you are on the road during the first rain, to immediately pull over for for a few hours (restaraunt, coffee shop, etc.) until most of the top oil is washed away, then proceed but slowly allowing extra stopping distance between you and car in front. This applies to all on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,792 times
Good advice.
You always see a lot of accidents on the first rain here and they are usually the new arrivals who say people in LA dont know how to drive in the rain.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:48 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
i always thought that when people say we don't know how to drive in the rain, they mean we drive too fast. i slow down considerably when it rains, but i don't see many others doing so. i also find that trying to leave extra stopping distance is, in most cases, just an invitation for two more cars to merge into the lane in front of me. that's one concept that i don't think most drivers will ever grasp.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:54 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,458 times
You forget to mention to leave some distance, the stopping distance is longer in rainy conditions.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:54 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
You forget to mention to leave some distance, the stopping distance is longer in rainy conditions.
Stopping distance isn't longer . . . only the sliding/skidding distance.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:57 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
People are idiots and depend on high traction to bail them out of their stupid maneuvers. When traction is less, the inevitable happens.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 11-25-2008 at 04:18 PM..

Old 11-25-2008, 04:10 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,563 times
Good advice for anyone driving in rain

Actually find CA drivers generally more competent driving fast (when traffic and weather allow) on urban fwys than drivers in NYC or Chic...which have often-crappy weather and generally slower fwys

Have often found it's the drivers of newer performance cars who tend to be some of safest, fast drivers on fwys....esp tailgating distances; safe lane changes; using turn signals; headlights on in rain, etc....guys who prob have a decent understanding of the delicate balance between hp/torque/performance tires and traction on a slick road

When it rains heavily in CA, one usually needs to dodge a bunch of rolled-over SUVs of generally obese people who clearly can't drive and assume a 6000+lb POS is invincible in any weather....they don't hand out certain vehicles to just anyone

Old 11-25-2008, 04:21 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
When it rains heavily in CA, one usually needs to dodge a bunch of rolled-over SUVs of generally obese people who clearly can't drive and assume a 6000+lb POS is invincible in any weather....they don't hand out certain vehicles to just anyone
You should submit this online to one of the tv stations. This is classic.

Last edited by greggd; 11-25-2008 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-25-2008, 05:02 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,418,096 times
People here drive faster when it rains...

Old 11-25-2008, 05:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Another heads up for newcomers: Yes, we already know we make a big deal out of a rain event, including all the local news programs leading with something they call "Storm Watch" for the barest hint of rain. Truth be told, it rains here so seldom, we treat it like the second coming..... mainly because that's usually what it is, the second coming of rain in what seems like the last 10 years.

One also has to consider that rain is the major contributor to one leg of our natural disaster trifecta... the mudslides and flooding that always follow after the second leg bares its ugly face, which are the yearly wildland fires. (The first leg of the trifecta: earthquakes)

So, in a nutshell, what I'm trying to say is: Shut the f up.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles