Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:02 AM

42 posts, read 184,673 times

Advertisements

When you see everything that city-data.com says about LA, it looks really good. But is it really. I live in the Adirondacks, in a small town, and I hate it. I want a lively city. But is it worth it. I don't want to buy a $1,500,000 house just to get it burnt down. I know some places are better than others, like Manhattan vs. The Bronx. But also, for example, NYC looks pretty good, but it's the best of the worst. I want to have a safe environment for my family, and I like LA. I just don't know how safe it is. And I don't want to end up moving their just to move somewhere else a year later. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 10:17 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,244,527 times
LA is huge. Some areas are extremely safe. In some areas people will even attack a dog or cat just for fun. If you use your head and stay out of the gang infested areas, then you should be fine. If not for the gang areas this would probably be the lowest crime city in the US. The only crime I've ever experienced is property related crime like things getting stolen out of my car.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:51 AM

213 posts, read 745,097 times
Yes it's safe. Just stay out of the usual areas people say are bad like Compton or the Watts. But really you don't have anything to worry about.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:37 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,165,043 times
Would argue some of safest places on planet are affluent suburbs of places like LA or NYC or Chicago or SF, not small towns w/weak economies

Safety takes many forms, not just risk of violent street crime

NYC faces a constant risk of terror attacks

Even in a major quake, no. killed in SF/LA who live and work in seismically modern bldgs will prob be less than no. of people killed/seriously injured in traffic accidents on a snowy/icy wkend back East

Competent physicians tend to want to live and work in affluent areas near major academic med ctrs, e.g., LA Westside's Cedars and UCLA....healthcare in Podunk (or even wrong part of any major urban region) tends to be weak at best

If a natural disaster occurs, economically powerful regions like LA or SiliconValley will be repaired far more quickly than economically weak places like NewOrleans or FL

Old 12-21-2008, 01:18 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,896,522 times
It depends on your budget. You can find suburbs like Thousand Oaks or Simi Valley that are among the safest places in the country or you can find pretty dangerous neighborhoods in South Central.

Your perception of safety or danger is largely a function of what you can afford and where you choose to live.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:25 PM

213 posts, read 745,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Would argue some of safest places on planet are affluent suburbs of places like LA or NYC or Chicago or SF, not small towns w/weak economies

Ya small towns are bad. Sinco thers nothing to do in them kids get into all this trouble with sex and drinking. notthat big cities don't have it to, it;s just that small towns aren't necassarily safe.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:04 PM

42 posts, read 184,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeInSoCal View Post
Ya small towns are bad. Sinco thers nothing to do in them kids get into all this trouble with sex and drinking. notthat big cities don't have it to, it;s just that small towns aren't necassarily safe.
That's exactly what happens where I live.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:07 AM

27 posts, read 95,677 times
Red face LA not what it used to be

Hi. I moved here with my family from Upstate New York when I was fourteen years old. That was many years ago. Los Angeles was everything cool and causual back then. Not so much anymore. For instance Los Angeles is no longer safe. I would not raise children here. Not for the obvious crime issues such as: gangs and violence. But for the less then obvious issues. Consquently, LA is very crowded so car incidents are rampant. Oh, and don't expect to find the LAPD to be your allies. Also, people in LA don't say what they mean or mean what they say. I find myself trying to read between the lines alot. In other words I never trust LA people. Its a very very money driven town. Finally, New Yorker's get a bad rap for being rude and abrupt. But I'll take that any day over playing guessing games.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:39 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,027 times
You mean people in general don't say what they mean or mean what they say, right?

If you think that is just relegated to LA then I don't know what to tell you.

LA is safe enough.

If you look at LA crime stats most of the crimes north of the 10, are burglaries, robberies, GTA and a few assaults. Murders and (reported) rapes are rare and unfortunately for its inhabitants closer to downtown and south central.

Most of these crimes happen at night or in the early morning hours, and mostly in the rougher parts of LA.

Would I raise a family here? I honestly don't know yet. I think I'm smart enough to find a decent area within the city to do so. And more importantly to take an active role in my child's life and schooling. If not in the city then there are tons of suburbs that are just fine. They have their own problems but at least there's that option.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:44 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,723 times
If you can really afford to pay one million plus for a house, then you should have no problem finding a house in a safe city. I hear Brentwood is great and I have driven through it and it looks amazing but I will probably never be able to afford it. I also hear the Hollywood hills are great and, though the streets of Hollywood aren't great, trouble makers tend to stay out of affluent neighborhoods because police response is usually fast in those neighborhoods.
As far as being worried about fires, just stay away from wooded areas like the outer reaches of the valleys and the mountains. Places like Brentwood, Beverly Hills, Hollywood Hills, Los Feliz Estates, Toluca Lake, Glendale and Pasadena should meet your needs and put your worries to rest. It's just a matter of making sure you're surrounded by other cities that aren't foresty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles