Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2008, 12:49 AM

5 posts, read 13,446 times

Advertisements

What do you think? Would it be about 1 hour, 2 hours, or longer? I'm not afraid to drive at 5:00 AM and other crazy times... is this commute doable five days a week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 12:30 PM

32 posts, read 96,651 times
Whoa that will be a hardcore commute if you leave at 5, probably 2 1/2 hours. If you leave at about 3:30 in the morning I'm guess it will take an hour and a half, with no traffic.

They are widening the bottleneck 405 freeway in West Los Angeles, I think it will be in spring of '09. This should reduce your commute significantly.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:00 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,707 times
Is this for real? Above the Grapevine to Culver City? Isn't life more valuable than that?

Old 12-27-2008, 07:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Even with no traffic at all that is 75 miles one way. If you left at 5AM you'll hit the Sepulveda Pass around 6ish and I don't there there is too much traffic then. If you start your shift at 6:30 then you'd leave at 3 and I think by then northbound traffic on the 405 has started to build. So, to work might not be bad but coming home will be. (I researched this a few years ago and realized leaving El Segundo even at 230 heading north is bad.)

Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 PM

14 posts, read 51,741 times
Don't do it!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:50 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Even with no traffic at all that is 75 miles one way. If you left at 5AM you'll hit the Sepulveda Pass around 6ish and I don't there there is too much traffic then. If you start your shift at 6:30 then you'd leave at 3 and I think by then northbound traffic on the 405 has started to build. So, to work might not be bad but coming home will be. (I researched this a few years ago and realized leaving El Segundo even at 230 heading north is bad.)
I agree with what Charles wrote here. It takes about an hour to reach the Sepulveda pass in good traffic. If you get over it by 6 a.m. you will generally do pretty well and make it into West L.A. or Culver City in about 1 1/2 hours. Any later than that, or when there's an accident or bad weather, and drivetime increases significantly.

Leaving the west side by 2:30 p.m. is pretty much a necessity (even earlier is better). At that time, you will get over the pass before most folks, and will be on I-5 headed up the Newhall pass within about 45 minutes, which is a good time to go through there. You'd be able to get home about 45 minutes later, for a total of about 1 1/2 hours on the return trip, too. Again, bad traffic, bad weather, and leaving later will all add to the commute time significantly.

It's been several years since I did that drive, so things may have changed for the worse, even at those times. I also only did the drive for a short time, as I was doing a temporary job in the area.

If you must do the drive, try to work a 6 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. shift, or something where you would start even earlier. If you work a graveyard shift, it would probably be OK, too. For a 6 a.m. start, you would want to leave at about 4 a.m. to allow for any traffic woes you may encounter along the way. Expect to be away from home until at least 4:30 p.m. with this shift as well, assuming you head pretty much straight home.

Allow time for shopping in Castaic before heading up "the hill" so you can purchase your groceries at reasonable prices, and so you won't have to stop again when you get into town. The market in town closes at 7 p.m. and has higher prices and a more limited selection, but is convenient when you need something in town. The staff there is pretty friendly, too, so I do recommend you support them when you can.

On another note, there is a vanpool that goes from Frazier Park to UCLA. I don't know anything about seat availability, but you may want to check that out before you make the move (if you haven't already done so). You would also have to check into your connection options on the south end of the trip. There are also a few people who carpool into that area, so that may also be an option for you.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
Is this for real? Above the Grapevine to Culver City? Isn't life more valuable than that?
Actually, it's the "top" of the Grapevine. The section of highway known as "The Grapevine" stretches from Castaic to the "town" (travel stop, really) of Grapevine, about 25 miles south of Bakersfield. In total, this is about a 40 mile stretch of I-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles