Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:37 AM

205 posts, read 727,950 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Hawthorne CA. Lived here since my parents transplanted us from Illinois back in 1977. My husband is a Southern CA native, and even the mention of leaving CA for the "outer limits" was enough to start a fight. But last year that all changed. Our house (4 bdrm 3 bath with no yard for $550K) basically lost all its equity with the market drop. We can sell it for what we paid for it.

Last year a close relative passed away and left me some inheritance. With that and the house situation, husband has finally relented and agreed we need to take this opportunity to pay cash for a home outside of CA. Thankfully his job can be done anywhere as long as a major Airport is within driving distance. And my job will be to find one once we've settled.

I'm looking at Arizona - its close enough to CA that my children can drive to see me or visa versa. I can buy 2 - 5 acres of property, a 2500 sq ft home with a YARD!!! Now I understand that yard may be a bit sandy,,, but hey, I can get on a horse and ride, I can play on an ATV. I can have a couple chickens, a cow, a raised bed garden or whatever else I can think of. Since my mortgage will be paid in full, I can afford to be a "kept woman" for a bit.

Here's to leaving LA... I don't hate it, I'll miss it for the people who live in it. I won't miss the god awful traffic, the gut ache I get the moment I get on the North bound 110 at 8:00 AM. Yeah, I won't miss that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 PM

6 posts, read 11,376 times
Default Californians - don't move to Atlanta

My fellow Californians, if you are considering moving to Atlanta, think again. I find that many Atlantans harbor an unfounded resentment and preconceived notion of us that makes it difficult to communicate. Buying property here is cheaper, but it may cost you quality of life, which we prize. If you are absolutely intent on moving here, I suggest staying in the city proper (Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead). But in all truth, move elsewhere. There are just too many cultural differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
A person I know moved out from L.A. to a suburb just outside Atlanta and bought a 6 bedroom house. I don't know what the price was but I'd imagine it would be MUCH less than a similar place here.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 PM

6 posts, read 11,376 times
Default Californian Looking for a New Place to Live

Is Denver still a good place to live? I moved from California to the Southeast a while ago and am looking to move back to the West(ern) Coast. I've considered moving back to California, but will more than likely move to a neighborning state. Knowing what I know now about cultural differences, I'm looking not only at the numbers, but also seeking a cultural fit. Is there true diversity? Easy to make friends and acquaintances? Is there a mixture of singles as well as families? Is there water (oh, how I miss the water!!)? I'd love to hear your perspective about Denver and/or other places you've heard about. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Because Denver (as well as Las Vegas and Portland) still have respect for personal freedom unlike any large California cities with the possible exception of San Jose - and definitely have more respect for personal freedom than anywhere in SoCal

Old 07-06-2010, 10:14 PM

10 posts, read 26,302 times
they move to northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. and people like me are trying to move to Ca. funny huh!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:19 PM

848 posts, read 1,957,055 times
Q: When People Leave Los Angeles, Where Do They Go?

A: Back to America.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,388 times
Default When people leave L.A. where do they go

For a quick get away and a nice drive of about 180 miles, they head north towards Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo Counties, driving Hwy.101 the coast highway, after you get into Oxnard, Ventura,you get views of the pacific ocean.
When you pass Santa Barbara and aproch Pismo Beach you have many choices to choose from.
beach cities,Grover Beach, Pismo beach, shell beach, Aliva and then along hwy 1 there is Morro bay, from there, cayucos, Cambria and San Simion, all are really great get aways.
from the cost you can swing inland along Hwy. 46 east into paso Robles, wine country, or Hwy 41 into Atascadero.
If you go from Morro bay through 41, be sure to stop in at the Last Stage West about 8mi. from Morro bay towards Atascadeo.
For a great afternoon, or a couples days get away, these areas are prime.
Hope this helps

Old 07-07-2010, 01:04 PM

8,379 posts, read 13,532,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldingfireman View Post
they move to northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. and people like me are trying to move to Ca. funny huh!
It sounds funny but it is not. Some people do it due to financial reasons, others do it to be close to family or for a better job (in this job market it is probably more like 'a job opportunity'). Traffic and abundant number of people aka being crowded could bother some to the point of relocating.
I know some people who wouldn't move back to So Cal (LA area) even if you gave them a free house to live in. I, on the other hand, live pretty much paycheck-to-paycheck and rent but enjoy living here.

Who knows where I will be in a year or two but for now this is where I rather be. When my priorities and desires change so might where I choose to roam.

By time, most people forget the bad, annoying stuff about a place they left then they decide to go back only to realize why they left in the first place.
I guess what i am trying to say is, it is OK to relocate, it might be even a wise move but just do it for the right reasons.

There is at least one more relocation I will go through (death), I just hope it is somewhere where the women are less materialistic and down-to-Earth (uh the irony!).

Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 AM

96 posts, read 307,364 times
Default Lie in the bed you made

As far as I'm concerned, you people who elected liberal wacko representatives who, in turn, drove your state into the ground should have to stay there and live with what YOU DID. Stop going to places like Texas and Oklahoma, which are traditionally conservative states and trying to elect the same types of people that messed up California. WE DON'T WANT YOUR LIBERALISM IN THIS PART OF THE COUNTRY and Texas certainly doesn't need to be driven into the ground, which is what you leftist wackos are sure to do to it. So stay where you are and live with your decisions.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 AM

97 posts, read 260,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl67 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, you people who elected liberal wacko representatives who, in turn, drove your state into the ground should have to stay there and live with what YOU DID. Stop going to places like Texas and Oklahoma, which are traditionally conservative states and trying to elect the same types of people that messed up California. WE DON'T WANT YOUR LIBERALISM IN THIS PART OF THE COUNTRY and Texas certainly doesn't need to be driven into the ground, which is what you leftist wackos are sure to do to it. So stay where you are and live with your decisions.
Excuse me but in America people have the right to live wherever they please AND vote for whomever they wish.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,700,826 times
I must say that I agree with the poster above me that we all have a right to live where we want to and vote for who we wish. Las Vegas NV is the place that many people relocate to as well. I have a few cousins that moved there several years ago when they left LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles