Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,660 times

Advertisements

I'll graduate from law school in two years. After that, I'll (likely) have no ties, obligations, etc. I can go wherever I want to go, and L.A. is on my list.

I like L.A. because of its music scene (though I'm in Nashville now, with a comparable music scene), weather, location, proximity to the beach, attitude, and concentration of wealth. I don't like L.A. because of the pollution, traffic, and high cost of living.

Now here's where I differ: the average young person comes to L.A. for one of a few reasons:
1) Glamour
2) Being star-struck
3) Trying to make it big in some sort of entertainment industry
4) They watch too much "24" or "90210" (what is it with Los Angelinos and numbered TV shows?)

I don't really fall into any of those categories. As I mentioned above, I have my own reasons for being tempted by Los Angeles.

I also differ insofar as (and don't let this sound conceited - it's just reality) I'll make more money than the average twentysomething. In fact, I'll make more than the average person. If I were to go out to L.A. and work at a large law firm, I'd see a starting salary at about $135,000 - $150,000. This does not include any bonuses I might receive. Seeing as how the average income in L.A. is a third of that (or less), I would be substantially better off than the average person. Granted, this will be the case wherever I go.

One more thing: I know NO ONE in the city. Not one. I'm worried that moving to an entirely new place will wreck my personal and social networks, and that I'll sit alone in my apartment until I get sick of the loneliness and move away. Sure, I may meet some people at work, but other than that, I don't know how I'd establish lasting friendships comparable to those I've already formed with people in high school/college/law school.

What are your thoughts? Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:28 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
LA's Westside is high on list of dream locations for any $200K+/yr 20yo kid out of school...most people who fit that descrip are young hedge fund traders who typically need to start career in Manhattan before able to move to SiliconValley or BeverlyHills

May want to understand LA's Westside a little better....suspect air quality is better than MidtownManhattan or Chic's Loop; traffic for those who work in Century City and live on Westside is essentially like a small town, as distances are small....and even commute to DLA is fairly benign and quick at hours most young workaholics arrive/leave office...much, much easier, more efficient traffic flows than comparable commutes in Manhattan or Chic...or any other major region in world, except SiliconValley

COL is no worse for a yuppie renter than in SF.....and far, far cheaper than Manhattan.....

Hard to place a value on poss lucrative career opportunities for an industrious workaholic in a dynamic region like LA, vs less dynamic regions outside CA or NYC....or on value of LA's uniquely hedonistic, capitalist lifestyle and weather/topography

Some stuff is best enjoyed when one is young...and part of charm of LA is that a guy who works 80+hrs/wk still enjoys daily near-perfect weather; spectacular talent; great grub; and some of world's best driving roads in nearby Malibu canyons....nowhere else on planet w/LA's level of work/play balance

Old 01-17-2009, 11:35 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times
As far as the making friends bit goes, you should be fine unless you are just incredibly shy.

With that salary you will have spending money for entertainment.

Southern Californians are noticeably more approachable and friendly than a lot of people in other regions of the US.

When you meet a young lady, follow her little signals closely. They'll definitely do it on the first date out there!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,883 times
LA big firm jobs pay 160k. there are a few that are just under that, but the vast majority pay market rate, and there's a pretty big gap between the mid/small firm salary and big firms. Are you at Vanderbilt? I can't imagine any other Tennessee law school would give you the opportunity to practice big firm jobs in LA without personal connections.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 PM

252 posts, read 960,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timepeon View Post
LA big firm jobs pay 160k. there are a few that are just under that, but the vast majority pay market rate, and there's a pretty big gap between the mid/small firm salary and big firms. Are you at Vanderbilt? I can't imagine any other Tennessee law school would give you the opportunity to practice big firm jobs in LA without personal connections.
Timepeon is correct. The big big firms start first year associates at 160, but there is a big gap between those jobs and the smaller and mid sized firms. It's tough to get those large firm jobs right now, what with the economy in the toilet. If you go to Vanderbilt, target LA based offices at OCI, and then just apply on your own to those firms that don't go to your OCI. If you don't go to Vanderbilt, your chances of getting a big firm job in LA straight out of law school are nil. As a 1L, you should focus on getting good grades, since that largely determines what options are open to you.

If your reason for moving to LA is wanting to feel comparativley richer than other people, avoid LA. The low six figures is nothing here. Housing prices are very high, and the general cost of living is quite high. If you want to feel richer than everyone else on a law firm associate salary, either stay in the South or go to the Midwest, where you'll make either the same salary (e.g., in Chicago) or just a bit less, but the cost of living will be insanely low compared to LA, SF, or NYC. Average income is a misleading figure to rely on. LA has a lot of very rich and a lot more very poor people (i.e., many recent immigrants).

Old 01-18-2009, 09:13 PM

51 posts, read 261,872 times
Low to mid $100K is nothing in LA. Your hot apt/condo will be $3500+/month, your hot car will be $2000+/month (i pay $3574/month for 1 car alone) and your more normal car will be around $1000 (4 seater, rainy day, hauler) then you need a lot of money for the hot clubs and restaurants and all this out of your $10-$13k (before taxes). Clothes, utilities, school loans, gym membership, tanning membership, body care costs (laser,waxing,cutting,shaving,massage).
You will also be dropping $500-$1000 per night at the clubs to entertain nicely.

All that, and you will still constantly see people that look like they have more money. If you truly want to look hot AND still have plenty of money for savings, you need to be making a lot more than anywhere in the $100's.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 PM

51 posts, read 261,872 times
On the other hand, if you want to come here just to live a 'normal' life without extravagance then the $100K's is just fine. You will find a good apt/condo (you won't find a 'nice' house for cheap here) and have a good life.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:03 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,234 times
What other posters have said. If you want to live a decent, upper-middle class type of lifestyle in LA you can do it on your salary and live comfortably. But if you think you'll be some baller lawyer who is raking in the dough and will have money to show off wealth and be richer than everyone else, that is not true at all. You will see plenty of cars every day taht cost more than you will take home in a year.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,767 times
Go to Dallas or Houston if you want to live that life with that salary...you'll be sittin' pretty.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 AM

219 posts, read 608,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
Low to mid $100K is nothing in LA. Your hot apt/condo will be $3500+/month, your hot car will be $2000+/month (i pay $3574/month for 1 car alone) and your more normal car will be around $1000 (4 seater, rainy day, hauler) then you need a lot of money for the hot clubs and restaurants and all this out of your $10-$13k (before taxes). Clothes, utilities, school loans, gym membership, tanning membership, body care costs (laser,waxing,cutting,shaving,massage).
You will also be dropping $500-$1000 per night at the clubs to entertain nicely.

All that, and you will still constantly see people that look like they have more money. If you truly want to look hot AND still have plenty of money for savings, you need to be making a lot more than anywhere in the $100's.
$3500 a month for a car? What do you drive? An SL? I'll be making $160k a year and my budget is $800 tops for a car payment and $2200 for a condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles