Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times

Advertisements

http://mobile.latimes.com/inf/infomo...eed:i=44823413
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 AM

219 posts, read 608,935 times
I saw this. I guess this refutes anyone who thought pricey communities could defy gravity indefinitely. I think the question now, as it has been for a while, is how protracted and how deep this correction will be.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:55 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i'm hoping this article is the proverbial "straw that broke the camels back" and real estate prices on the westside begin crashing like everywhere else in the region.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:28 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Prices in upscale parts of every city are only beginning the descent...unemployed affluent people can hold out longer w/absurd asking prices until distress kicks in some 6-12mos later

Suspect dramatic fall in prices won't really start until late '09

In early '90s, Westside prices dropped ~40% from '89 peak...bottomed in ?'94

Need to also factor in that many costly Westside houses are discretionary wkend houses owned by affluent people from SV, Chic, NYC, etc....many may want to "downsize" out of LA wkend houses, esp if one's stock portfolio is down ~40%

This era peaked in ?early '07 on Westside....and most would argue today's recession and credit crisis is a hell of a lot worse than the early '90s...draw own conclusions

Old 02-02-2009, 03:36 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
In the past six-seven years the prices went up pretty substantially. Some areas went up 60-70% in that time. Brentwood, Pac Pal, Malibu, Certain parts of So. Bel Air area & No. & No/West Santa Monica.

Over this past year, from what I've seen, the first major drop was about 10%and 12-15% for a quick sale. I think it started with the Condos. Now I'm noticing 15% off the high is becoming more common for both condo and SFH.

What is even more common are the # of listings for homes in the low 1 mill range.
That is the single most noticable factor on the Westside areas I mentioned.

If it's a nice lot, private driveway with a yard etc.. they tend to go quicker for the 10% route off the asking. Less desirable or more standard ho hum is touching 15% with more frequency. unique and odd ball homes that were totally overpriced are now reducing the ask to 15% range, but will most likely take an additional 10% off if things keep going in the same direction.

Personally, I think an average home in these areas, built in the 50's-60s or early 70s is worth 750-800k range. I doubt we will see these #'s but that's what I think.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:16 PM

956 posts, read 3,002,402 times
Let's hurry up and get these losers out of the homes they should never have purchased so we can just get on with matters. I'm trying to get into real estate and this sort of thing certainly isn't helpful. If you bought more than you should have, too bad -- now please get the hell out of here.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:35 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Let's hurry up and get these losers out of the homes they should never have purchased so we can just get on with matters. I'm trying to get into real estate and this sort of thing certainly isn't helpful. If you bought more than you should have, too bad -- now please get the hell out of here.
I agree. Speculation has its risks. Some make a positive return, others don't. Thats why it's an investment and that's why those who got in early faired well and those who got in late, when everyone and their brother was doing it, didnt do too hot.

Let renters become renters again and let gamblers continue to gamble but don't take away the risk and that includes the mortgage co's on the other end of the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles