Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 07:33 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,471,385 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when the 405 extension lanes are going to be completed between SR-90 and I-10 in both directions? How many lanes will there be on each side. When are they going to begin the recently passed Construction for the 405 northbound carpool lane, from the 10 to the 101? Speaking of lobbying for this project, do you believe Antonio Villaraigosa's doing a good job as mayor?

THANKS
-Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 08:24 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,564,152 times
To my knowledge, the state just allocated that funding. A completion date for all of these things is possibly three or four years away - and that's an optimistic projection!

Not sure if Villaraigosa's doing a great job as mayor, but I am glad that So-Cal is getting the funding it needs to fix some of our freeways.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:25 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,086,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Does anyone know when the 405 extension lanes are going to be completed between SR-90 and I-10 in both directions? How many lanes will there be on each side. When are they going to begin the recently passed Construction for the 405 northbound carpool lane, from the 10 to the 101? Speaking of lobbying for this project, do you believe Antonio Villaraigosa's doing a good job as mayor?

THANKS
-Sean
I think the 405 is about to get Proposition 1A or B, monies, isn't it? I just wonder how wide that thing has to get before CalTrans and LA's transportation leaders finally admit that wider freeways don't reduce traffic. The 405 already cuts a massive swath across the beautiful San Mo Mountains, yet even with 18-20 lanes of travel, it's the slowest freeway in the world. Something is way off. The impending widening project north of I-10 will, sadly, claim homes and a church in Brentwood. When will it end?

Personally (disclosing that I don't live in LA), I like Villaraigosa by what I observe from "the outside." He seems forward thinking sensitive to the tough needs of the city, though I don't envy the tasks any LA mayor faces. They must feel Sisyphean on some days. I don't know if he's doing a good job regarding the 405 widening, but he seems to have his head in the right place when it comes to LA's transit network, i.e. the Orange Line. IMHO.

How about you, dusesean1986? What do you think?

Old 03-09-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
I think the 405 is about to get Proposition 1A or B, monies, isn't it? I just wonder how wide that thing has to get before CalTrans and LA's transportation leaders finally admit that wider freeways don't reduce traffic. The 405 already cuts a massive swath across the beautiful San Mo Mountains, yet even with 18-20 lanes of travel, it's the slowest freeway in the world. Something is way off. The impending widening project north of I-10 will, sadly, claim homes and a church in Brentwood. When will it end?

Personally (disclosing that I don't live in LA), I like Villaraigosa by what I observe from "the outside." He seems forward thinking sensitive to the tough needs of the city, though I don't envy the tasks any LA mayor faces. They must feel Sisyphean on some days. I don't know if he's doing a good job regarding the 405 widening, but he seems to have his head in the right place when it comes to LA's transit network, i.e. the Orange Line. IMHO.

How about you, dusesean1986? What do you think?

Well, first off, thanks to both of you responding. The traffic alleviation from the Interstate 10 to State Route 90 is going to be immense, in regards to the 405. I'm hoping they could extend the 90 freeway towards the beach, but you know how enviornmentalists are, they wouldn't take a freeway through their wetlands, which is respectable. The 405 through West L.A. is a huge bottleneck, and they greatly needed this project. I'm glad they are doing major construction on surrounding surface streets as well, which will help with the new freeway lanes. I believe it will be done either this winter or next winter. I read today the 405-110 interchange is the worst in the nation, and I believe if they properly fix this transition, it will do wonders for folks traveling North on the 405. It's terribly backed up, and takes the 405 from 5 lines, to three paralyzed lines through the whole ordeal. This is supposed to be completed by this spring, fortunately commuters won't have to wait any longer. The 405 to I-10 is a terrible interchange as well, in the top ten of the United States, I believe they are fixing this as well.

The recently passed construction is the 405 northbound carpool lane, from the I-10 to the 101 Freeway. This is the proposition your referring to. They are going to need to move businesses and homes, which is fortunate, but must be done. They have to do it, sorry to those folks, but I would move for the better of Los Angeles County residents. I'm not sure if freeway construction is going to cut it, but I'm sure where there is room to build rail lines, unless they go underneath the ground.

BTW: DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE NEW RAIL LINE, I BELIEVE IT MIGHT HAVE PASSED, THAT SENDS A SUBWAY FROM NEAR DOWNTOWN TOWARDS THE BEACH?! I KNOW VILLARAIGOSA WAS PUSHING FOR IT.

That's my opinion cre8!!!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:54 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,343,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
BTW: DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE NEW RAIL LINE, I BELIEVE IT MIGHT HAVE PASSED, THAT SENDS A SUBWAY FROM NEAR DOWNTOWN TOWARDS THE BEACH?! I KNOW VILLARAIGOSA WAS PUSHING FOR IT.
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2006/1...line_to_on.php

And then just for personal edification there's this:

http://downtownnews.com/articles/2006/10/02/news/news03.txt (broken link)

Old 03-09-2007, 11:59 PM

186 posts, read 835,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2006/1...line_to_on.php

And then just for personal edification there's this:

http://downtownnews.com/articles/2006/10/02/news/news03.txt (broken link)
We are VERY close. I hope to traffic gets REALLY REALLY REALLY bad. Because then we will spend 5 billion putting in a state of the art transit system, and then it will be all better again. Then I can move closer to the transit network!!

Old 03-10-2007, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the site!!!!! Sorc! I know Los Angeles should be first priority over Ontario-San Bernardino, more commuters and more population.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:34 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,343,700 times
I've been watching the development of the Metro Rail closely. I did a stint in Rehab back in '95. It was on 6th and Westlake. The Red Line had just started running a limited run and it was a quarter at the time. I'd always had visions of the rivitilisation of downtown and thought this was the beginning. I'd riddent the Blue Line and couldn't believe how many people crammed themselves on it. I'm still quite optimisitc about the "subway to the sea" and think they will complete it on similar timelines to running the rail to the valley. That seemed to take forever and was plagued with drama.

I watch the rail and downtown development closely. A lot hinges on them.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:43 PM

989 posts, read 5,928,873 times
I think they need 5 or 6 more lanes on the 405(above or below).. but the cost is too way expensive; therefore voters will never pass it. I don't think one or two lanes will seriously delineate the 405 traffic. (By the time construction will be done, daily car trips will be up more than 5%)

The monorail idea-would still be the most economical.(A monorail running down the center of every L.A. freeway.) That would be nice.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:30 AM

NewBeachMW

I think people in California pass everything, regardless of money.LOL The fiscal practice days of low spending have not been seen for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles