Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 12:10 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times

Advertisements

I am currantly going back to college to get my degree in Graphic Design with focus on Web Development. Once I have my degree (approx 2-3 years) I plan on moving back to CA once and for all. I am not hell bent on L.A. I will take the right job in any area of mid-Southen CA. My question is how hard is it to get into a dencent company doing web design/development in the LA area? Anyone know if there are an abundance of employers for this line of work?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 10:24 AM

anyone?

Old 02-01-2009, 10:35 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I am currantly going back to college to get my degree in Graphic Design with focus on Web Development. Once I have my degree (approx 2-3 years) I plan on moving back to CA once and for all. I am not hell bent on L.A. I will take the right job in any area of mid-Southen CA. My question is how hard is it to get into a dencent company doing web design/development in the LA area? Anyone know if there are an abundance of employers for this line of work?
Thanks!
With no experience, I would say impossible. In these professional fields experience is everything.

There are a ton of web development jobs but they tend to be more on the programming side of things. If you can get some experience under your belt and are solid with Javascript and at least some server-side coding (i.e. PHP), you should be able to find something. If you are strictly on the design side, I would say your options will be increasingly limited as time goes on.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
With no experience, I would say impossible. In these professional fields experience is everything.

There are a ton of web development jobs but they tend to be more on the programming side of things. If you can get some experience under your belt and are solid with Javascript and at least some server-side coding (i.e. PHP), you should be able to find something. If you are strictly on the design side, I would say your options will be increasingly limited as time goes on.
Actually my degree is going to be more focused on the programming side as opposed to just design. By the end i will have a dual degree 1) Web Development 2) We Design.
I plan on first working for a year to get experience, then send my resume to various areas of SoCal.
Thanks for your advice!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:39 AM

96 posts, read 410,337 times
I think you should be okay going forward. There will always be work in web development for someone who is knowledgeable and able to keep up with the latest trends and skills, particularly with the programming side.

If you feel you need basic experience, my advice is to find a couple of charities who need a decent website and volunteer. Don't design anything too advanced in case you need to pass it off to another volunteer though (stick with HTML and CSS, no PHP). I did a few sites probono when I was learning, and now they are all paying me to maintain them because we got along so well. And just because they are charities doesn't mean they have no budget, so you can always ask for a small payment from the start.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
I think you should be okay going forward. There will always be work in web development for someone who is knowledgeable and able to keep up with the latest trends and skills, particularly with the programming side.

If you feel you need basic experience, my advice is to find a couple of charities who need a decent website and volunteer. Don't design anything too advanced in case you need to pass it off to another volunteer though (stick with HTML and CSS, no PHP). I did a few sites probono when I was learning, and now they are all paying me to maintain them because we got along so well. And just because they are charities doesn't mean they have no budget, so you can always ask for a small payment from the start.
Do you mean to do this while in College? Because I am just now starting college for my degree. I am laid off my labor job and was thinking of trying to do an internship while in college, is that what your pointing me toward?
PS- Also learning Flash which has a lot of marketability.
Only thing I worry about is that with computer always updating, evolving, changing I hope all I learn in college does not turn obsolete by the time I graduate.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,054 times
I have had 36 years of experience in graphics and one thing that has been consistent is having a degree helps you get ahead. All my younger friends in graphics have had web training. Think that interning is a good idea. You also need a good portfolio. I would suggest finding a really bad looking website and redesigning it for practice. We visit a lot of websites every day to get a feel for the clients look and/or to grab a logo and some are REALLY bad. There will be more and more web development in the future and less printed material. Think you are on the right track, learn as much as you can esp Flash. And I wouldn't worry about your computer experience being obsolete when you grad--you will learn a lot on the job. Also you have the advantage that you can telecommute (I have done this since '87) so the world can be your job market since you don't need to physically be in the office. Not saying it will be easy to find a job, but I really think you are on the right track. Good luck to you!

Old 10-02-2009, 11:39 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post

Pretty good advice here. One thing I would disagree with is doing work probono. Even if you charge very little, charge something. Be honest about your experience. Let them know you are new and learning, hence you'll charge less. Besides getting paid a few bucks for your effort, it'll get your hands dirty on the bidding side of the profession. This is a learned skill, too. Another thing I would suggest is keep track of your time. Even if you won't be charging for every hour, keep track so that you yourself can start to get an idea for how long tasks take. This, too, will help you learn how to bid for jobs. The Graphic Artists Guild is a good source for discussions on bidding and contracts. Oh, that's another thing. Even as a newbie doing a job for low pay, have a simple contract describing what you're intending to do. It'll protect you and the client, plus give you some background learning contracts. One last thought, make sure your contract doesn't obligate you to endless tasks. For instance, I never use terms like "satisfaction guaranteed" or "revised until complete." Also leave yourself room to charge for things like "overages" and "unforeseen delays" or "extra revisions." You may not have to exercise charging extra, but can if you need to.

Graphic Artists Guild - Home

Old 10-04-2009, 01:33 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post

It's not impossible at all. There are companies that will take you they just wont pay you as much because you will be a junior. Start-up companies with lack of funds will look at you more. My company would start you off at 40k just because of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles