Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:27 PM

13 posts, read 59,658 times

Advertisements

you all need to come to chicago, philly, detroit, baltimore, or atlanta if you think LA is rough. The crime rate in LA is peanuts versus any of these cities. The gangs in Chicago are a lot bigger, entrenched, older and much more well organized. ON a regular basis the raw number of murders in chicago far surpasses LA, despite having 1 million few people. Granted compton is a rough area, and not technically within the city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 06:04 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend999 View Post
you all need to come to chicago, philly, detroit, baltimore, or atlanta if you think LA is rough. The crime rate in LA is peanuts versus any of these cities. The gangs in Chicago are a lot bigger, entrenched, older and much more well organized. ON a regular basis the raw number of murders in chicago far surpasses LA, despite having 1 million few people. Granted compton is a rough area, and not technically within the city limits.
My dad could beat up your dad!!!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Really? I thought crime was a bad thing. All this time I've been living in my house I've been trying to do what I can to make the neighborhood safer but maybe I should do the opposite so I can brag about how crime infested my city is! Thanks legend!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Legend, where do you live? In Chicago or do you live in LA? No one said Los Angeles is the worst place in the country, we can all think of lots of really bad cities, any inter city area, be it DC, PHilly, St Louis, LA whatever are not what anyone would call safe...Slig wanted to know about Compton and we have given him our opinions.

Nita

Old 02-12-2009, 06:54 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
... And your point is????

Old 02-12-2009, 07:02 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right about Inglewood, blacks were not allowed to walk on the streets after dark unitl the mid to late 60s,
Naw, that was history by the early 50s, mid-50s at the latest.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Naw, that was history by the early 50s, mid-50s at the latest.
Well, I am not sure when? we moved there in early 59 and our first kid was born in Oct of 59, we left Inglewood and moved to Manhattan beach that year, then to Century Blvd about 1960. Inglewood was still 100% white at that time, but I guess it started changing about then as well. I was really not totally serious about not being able to be on the streets, but there were absolutely no blacks in the city in the late 50s.

Nita

Old 02-13-2009, 10:10 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Crime is more than twice the national average, but then again that won't scare you off.

As for diversity, the area is over 97% black and hispanic...doesn't sound very diverse to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Low cost of living. The house I own in Minneapolis was purchased for 140k so it's financially straining to sell it and move into a 500k house in a more desirable area of SoCal. I live in a transitional neighborhood right now and I'm not afraid of higher crime or diverse areas.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:57 AM

113 posts, read 388,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
This 90's music video by deceased rapper Eazy-E will give you an enlightening glimpse of life in the city of Compton:

YouTube - EAZY E- REAL COMPTON CITY G's

LMFAO!!! I was just thinking about that song!

Old 02-14-2009, 11:16 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I've been there before when I visited my wife's aunt and cousin who live there. I was expecting to walk into a scene of Boyz in the Hood and that wasn't my impression at all. I could hardly tell the difference between their neighborhood and the neighborhood I was working in in Van Nuys. Geographically speaking I found Compton to be in a relatively convenient area, very close to Long Beach, Los Angeles and Anaheim.
depends on what time u go out u will see the crime, and the area you're in. and why would a gang be out all the time in the public? thats not the way it works...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles