Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:23 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,354,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post

However, the astronomical number of mexicans do somewhat concern me
We sit on what used to be Mexico. In the grand scheme of things, this wasn't very long ago. There are an astronomical number of Mexicans. Some don't consider this a bad thing. To those who do, I'm not quite sure why they live here. The language, food and culture are part of ours. We have many other types of Latinos including the South Americans in my family. The warmth of Latin culture is a nice contrast to the chilly, reserved WASPs in my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 09:42 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,132,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
There are an astronomical number of Mexicans. Some don't consider this a bad thing. To those who do, I'm not quite sure why they live here.
I've wondered about that too, at least as far as why people would move here from somewhere else.

For people born in LA, it's probably different. When you're born somewhere, and your whole family is there, it's awfully hard to move away (as you and I both know). So you could conceivably, under those conditions, be living in LA even if you do have that particular prejudice.

I personally don't like that prejudice. But I mean I'm sheltered. I live in the suburbs. Nobody has bothered me--Mexican, white, plaid, whatever. I do hate to hear the prejudice talk, though. That has always bugged me very badly.

Sorry to get OT. I don't really have a good answer for the OP. I can't convince you to live here. I can say that visiting isn't the same as living here. It is truly a different world from the east coast. I mean seriously. You really, really, really, really have to be certain before you make a huge move like that--whatever direction it's in. I'd give that same word of caution to a person wanting to move from the west coast to the east coast...or from the south to the north...or whatever.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 AM

240 posts, read 1,425,630 times
Personally, I don't worry about the blacks or the Mexicans, it's the PLAIDS that scare me. I find it very difficult to match Burberry items and on me they appear dowdy, and yet amazingly, they remain outlandishly overpiced. I don't understand why anyone would want to focus on another person's color, race or religion, rather than on behavior and character, the qualities that matter and will likely affect your interaction with that person. I live in an apartment building near downtown LA that is filled with people of all races, cultures and religions and my safety has never been threatened even once in ten years, although I have had a file cabinet that was sitting in the hallway stolen within a couple of hours. I go out in the early evening and walk to the supermarket and have never been bothered by anyone. Sometimes during the day, I am solicited for money by homeless people of all races and at times their odor can be overwhelming, but that is about the extent of the problems I have experienced living near downtown LA.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:30 AM

208 posts, read 981,128 times
Quote:
Im considering moving to LA after graduation from college here in Ohio and am very concerned about alot of things. Could someone please help me with these questions, I really appreciate it.

Is it impossible to find a decent place in a nice area that is affordable around LA?
Are there any caucasian americans anywhere in the LA area?
Is traffic unbearable?

Thanks so much for everyones help
rent a room. dont try to get your own place. LA is expensive for a reason, right? decide if you are a beach person or a city person...the city i live (hermosa beach) is 90%+ white, but very tolerant of people of any race (mostly white people here, but vast majority are not racist)

Old 03-19-2007, 02:17 PM

401 posts, read 2,609,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBayTodd View Post
rent a room. dont try to get your own place. LA is expensive for a reason, right? decide if you are a beach person or a city person
Is it more expensive in the city or closer to the beach? I would assume closer to the beach. I would probably enjoy living in the city more. I would be a lot more into city events (basketball, sportings events) than I would beach (surfing, looking at pot smokers with surfboards all day)

Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 PM

Once again, thanks for everyones help!

Old 03-19-2007, 02:29 PM

450 posts, read 1,206,219 times
I am from Cincinnati and IT'S VERY CLOSEMINDED HERE I am no ready so ready to leave this hell hole and the MERE fact that a person has the reason to say is there any WHITE people come and and embrace diversity I have put up with this stupid **** IN OHIO FOR TOO LONG when you go to apply for jobs they think your sooooooooo uneducated if your not a white uneducated HILLBILLY. WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 02:45 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,132,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
I am from Cincinnati and IT'S VERY CLOSEMINDED HERE I am no ready so ready to leave this hell hole and the MERE fact that a person has the reason to say is there any WHITE people come and and embrace diversity I have put up with this stupid **** IN OHIO FOR TOO LONG when you go to apply for jobs they think your sooooooooo uneducated if your not a white uneducated HILLBILLY. WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm guessing that you're very, very young. Young people typically think where they live stinks unbearably, even if it's Hawaii or Shangri-La, and their complaints are extremely loud and not exactly based on experience. Some of us here do have experience, and know a little more what we're speaking about.

I don't think anybody expressed pro-white sentiments here, exactly. I did see one pro-plaid.

(p.s. Cali stinks for its own reasons, BTW. If you decide to strike out on your own, let us know how you make out.)

Old 03-19-2007, 02:46 PM

208 posts, read 981,128 times
Quote:
Is it more expensive in the city or closer to the beach? I would assume closer to the beach. I would probably enjoy living in the city more. I would be a lot more into city events (basketball, sportings events) than I would beach (surfing, looking at pot smokers with surfboards all day)
the *nice* parts of LA are just as expensive as the beach area...in LA there is no city central area. it is all spread out into various cities and neighborhoods. anything in LA County is often referred to as "LA". some areas of Los Angeles can get really crappy...so be careful where you choose. just because you like watching basketball games doesnt mean you should live downtown (where the lakers play) - downtown LA pretty much sucks to live in, in my opinion. i don't think you will know which neighborhood you like best unless you visit here and check them out. you could spend a couple of days (at least) exploring all the different areas and neighborhoods. i recommend you visit, rent a car if you dont have one, and drive around and check it out!

Old 03-19-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
I dont even know what the heck youre trying to say?? Your post is so hard to follow and understand that I have no idea what your point is?

I'll say this though, it sounds like youre sayinig that everyone in Cincinnati is a white un-educated hill-billy, I guess? Heres some stats to think about

Percentage of blacks in LA city - 11.2%
Percentage of blacks in Cincinnati city- 42.9%
Percentage of blacks in greater LA county- 9.8%
Percentage of blacks in greater Cincinnati area and Hamilton county- 23.4%
Also, Forest Park, located 11 miles north of Cincinnati is home to one of the most affluent majority black communities in America.
Just saying that Cincinnati is not nothing but white hillbillies

P.S. In no way am I trying to make it look like Cincinnati is more diverse than LA. Surely thats ridiculous, as LA and the LA area is the most diverse area in America. Just pointing out to this guy that Cincinnati is not only white hillbillies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles