Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 05:31 PM

401 posts, read 2,608,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBayTodd View Post
the *nice* parts of LA are just as expensive as the beach area...in LA there is no city central area. it is all spread out into various cities and neighborhoods. anything in LA County is often referred to as "LA". some areas of Los Angeles can get really crappy...so be careful where you choose. just because you like watching basketball games doesnt mean you should live downtown (where the lakers play) - downtown LA pretty much sucks to live in, in my opinion. i don't think you will know which neighborhood you like best unless you visit here and check them out. you could spend a couple of days (at least) exploring all the different areas and neighborhoods. i recommend you visit, rent a car if you dont have one, and drive around and check it out!
I didnt mean in terms of going to Laker games, like I would be able to afford that on top of my rent. I was just sayin gin terms of local parks and gyms. Thanks for your help? BYW, is there any concern about swimming at any of the beaches? Like bacteria and stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 06:57 PM

644 posts, read 3,324,944 times
I don't understand this comment, but as we get older, we realize that there are pluses and minuses to everything. Extremes don't exist. When in Los Angeles, you take the good with the bad. I'm trying to move, but at the same time, there is plenty here that I love, such as:

- the diversity
- people accept you no matter who you are
- lots and lots of great food of all ethnicities
- wonderful hidden finds everywhere
- best flea markets of anyplace in the country

Artie

Old 03-19-2007, 06:59 PM

644 posts, read 3,324,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
I am from Cincinnati and IT'S VERY CLOSEMINDED HERE I am no ready so ready to leave this hell hole and the MERE fact that a person has the reason to say is there any WHITE people come and and embrace diversity I have put up with this stupid **** IN OHIO FOR TOO LONG when you go to apply for jobs they think your sooooooooo uneducated if your not a white uneducated HILLBILLY. WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't understand this comment, but as we get older, we realize that there are pluses and minuses to everything. Extremes don't exist. When in Los Angeles, you take the good with the bad. I'm trying to move, but at the same time, there is plenty here that I love, such as:

- the diversity
- people accept you no matter who you are
- lots and lots of great food of all ethnicities
- wonderful hidden finds everywhere
- best flea markets of anyplace in the country
- easy to meet people
- fantastic nightlife, always something to do
- great beaches
- fabulous sunsets (near the beach)

Artie

Old 03-20-2007, 11:39 AM

450 posts, read 1,205,632 times
Well for one yes I am young I am not old and for two correct me if I am wrong but SCOTTIE did reference looking for a city where WHITES LIVED. and third I am biracial and unfortunately in Cinti there is alot of uneducated closeminded people here who happen to be hillbillies. Do any of you live here that are saying I am young and don't have experience in life???? I think I have had alot of experience in life just because I am younger than maybe most of you does not mean I haven't experience being called names by stupid people. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO TALK ABOUT BOTH SIDES OF WHITE AND BLACK ISSUES and for you to quote stats for Forest Park I am pretty aware of how many BLACKS live there.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:46 AM

450 posts, read 1,205,632 times
Cincinnati may have alot of AFRICAN AMERICANS IN CITY but go to any company and look at the high managment to executive level positions and the majority of them are white men. There maybe alot of blacks that live here but that doesn't mean anything. I guess your next thing will be well you have a black mayor? Anyways I can express my opionion just like you can express yours. Thanks

Old 03-20-2007, 11:57 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,104,706 times
Quote:
Well for one yes I am young I am not old and for two correct me if I am wrong but SCOTTIE did reference looking for a city where WHITES LIVED. and third I am biracial and unfortunately in Cinti there is alot of uneducated closeminded people here who happen to be hillbillies. Do any of you live here that are saying I am young and don't have experience in life???? I think I have had alot of experience in life just because I am younger than maybe most of you does not mean I haven't experience being called names by stupid people. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO TALK ABOUT BOTH SIDES OF WHITE AND BLACK ISSUES and for you to quote stats for Forest Park I am pretty aware of how many BLACKS live there.
Yes, you have the *right* to talk about racial inequality. But no, you do not have the *experience* to compare, say, Cincinnati to LA, never having lived in LA, and obviously not having the knowledge that what you call a city of "hillbillies" (meaning white, I guess?) has *an exponentially larger non-white community by percentage* than LA.

So the information you gave, in the context of this forum, was entirely incorrect.

We corrected you.

Edited: Oh bluh, forget it. I'm not gonna waste my time. :P This person will be on to the next thing in ten seconds anyway and I don't want to veer off from the OP.

Last edited by JerZ; 03-20-2007 at 12:21 PM..

Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Cincinnati may have alot of AFRICAN AMERICANS IN CITY but go to any company and look at the high managment to executive level positions and the majority of them are white men. There maybe alot of blacks that live here but that doesn't mean anything. I guess your next thing will be well you have a black mayor? Anyways I can express my opionion just like you can express yours. Thanks
Are you joking? You think that's different from anywhere else? Having ovaries, I personally am well aware of the "boys' club"--and I've never lived in Cincinnati.

So how many companies have you worked for that you saw this high-management yadda yadda first hand? Just curious.

Yes, you can express *opinion*. But what you're expressing is *stated as fact*.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I guess your next thing will be well you have a black mayor?
LOL! Yeah, it would be. We in the "much better" area of LA have a white governor. An AUSTRIAN white governor. Are you serious, comparing government officials in this way to prove that Cali is *more* racially diverse? Oh wowsers.

Last edited by JerZ; 03-20-2007 at 12:16 PM..

Old 03-20-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
Personally, I don't worry about the blacks or the Mexicans, it's the PLAIDS that scare me.
I am of mixed green/gold/rustish-colored-orange descent and I take EXTREME exception to this statement. I am soooooooo mad right now. And anyway, school let out early and I'm bored. So I may as well have it out with you bigoted people here.

I get this ALL THE TIME. It's not hidden at all. People think all of us plaids are the same. I even see "Plaid is Bad" signs spray-painted over old Wells Fargo bilboards as I'm driving down the 57. It's upsetting and aggravating...and only tells you HOW MUCH LA SUX DUDE, OH MAN, JUST SUX.

And I tell you this from experience.

There are even "hidden racial messages" in the plaid descriptive words themselves. Think about it. What does "tartan" start with? "Tart". Oh as IF the Man isn't trying to keep the hate going wtih that one.

People think all plaids are the same just because of the colors of our skin. I can't walk down the street without people whispering "It's the Argyle Hellions!" and jumping out of my way. And job interviews? Forget it. Well...okay, so I haven't actually been ON any but what I've heard, from friends and, let me think, oh yeah, from comic strips is that Plaids can NOT get high-end jobs. Period. The green/gold/orange hatred here is unbelievable.

Say what you will...but until we get a Plaid mayor, we are going NOWHERE.

I just couldn't sit here and watch the hate continue!

Okay...I've said my piece.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:57 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,223,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I am of mixed green/gold/rustish-colored-orange descent and I take EXTREME exception to this statement. I am soooooooo mad right now. And anyway, school let out early and I'm bored. So I may as well have it out with you bigoted people here.

I get this ALL THE TIME. It's not hidden at all. People think all of us plaids are the same. I even see "Plaid is Bad" signs spray-painted over old Wells Fargo bilboards as I'm driving down the 57. It's upsetting and aggravating...and only tells you HOW MUCH LA SUX DUDE, OH MAN, JUST SUX.

And I tell you this from experience.

There are even "hidden racial messages" in the plaid descriptive words themselves. Think about it. What does "tartan" start with? "Tart". Oh as IF the Man isn't trying to keep the hate going wtih that one.

People think all plaids are the same just because of the colors of our skin. I can't walk down the street without people whispering "It's the Argyle Hellions!" and jumping out of my way. And job interviews? Forget it. Well...okay, so I haven't actually been ON any but what I've heard, from friends and, let me think, oh yeah, from comic strips is that Plaids can NOT get high-end jobs. Period. The green/gold/orange hatred here is unbelievable.

Say what you will...but until we get a Plaid mayor, we are going NOWHERE.

I just couldn't sit here and watch the hate continue!

Okay...I've said my piece.
Why out of all the other states are you interested in Los Angeles? There are other states that cost less and have beaches and probably lower unemployment. How about Virginia Beach or North Carolina which is way cheaper than here and people are very nice. Why is California always the first choice...the weather? T.V.? I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles