Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:41 AM

244 posts, read 1,092,778 times

Advertisements

To the OP, I say you get the hell over it and figure out ways to BETTER YOURSELF instead of talking about what others are doing to you. I find it highly unlikely in 2007, that others actions, or inactions can hinder your success.

Especially in California. Take a deep breath, get over it, and be all you can be.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 AM

450 posts, read 1,203,575 times
Well being from Cinti some of what I read is not new for my area

Old 04-05-2007, 10:55 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frumbauskas View Post
How come no one has mentioned that this is completely off-topic and therefore violates the site's TOS? I came to this forum to learn about Los Angeles, not get into a heated debate about race relations.

Moderators????????????????????????
Actually...when I first came here that was what I was struck by, too. The number of "complaint" posts. I've made a few of my own since. I think it all kind of ties in to how people feel in general about an area. And I do think some newcomers (myself included) are seriously struck by how racist a supposedly ultra-progressive area can be. You will see a lot of such posts here.

As for it being against TOS, I'm not sure. Maybe the mods will remove or move the post...I don't know. But if you scroll down you will see a lot of "philosophical" rather than logicstical posts here.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:16 PM

140 posts, read 531,846 times
As the original poster, I feel this thread belongs in the Los Angeles forum because, as JerZ said, I am also shocked at how racist L.A. actually is. I grew up here, have lived here most of my life, and I used to believe that racism wasn't an issue when I was younger. In high school, I had very good friends from all races and I figured the rest of the world must be the same way. It wasn't until I got older and started college that I began to notice subtle acts of discrimination and racism. And not because I was seeking it out or watching for it to happen, it just did. It was like being hit with cold water because it was so casual and unexpected. It's not a "get over it" situation, I will always strive to "be all I can be" as you say LongHorn. I'm just calling attention to the elephant in the room that most of us are trying to ignore. I think it's a problem when you take a tour of Disney or DreamWorks, and you're the only Black person there, unless you're a maintanance worker or cook. These are my observations. Racism in L.A. is not an illusion, and it does hinder talented minorities from obtaining higher paying jobs, unless we work three times as hard as everyone else so that it's impossible not to hire us for the job. Again, these are my observations. Perhaps we'll "get over it" when it stops happening.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frumbauskas View Post
How come no one has mentioned that this is completely off-topic and therefore violates the site's TOS? I came to this forum to learn about Los Angeles, not get into a heated debate about race relations.

Moderators????????????????????????
This is the only thread of its kind on the L.A. forum, and I have allowed it to remain as it addresses racism specifically in L.A. However, it seems as if this discussion is winding down, so this thread will be closed in another day or two. Just a reminder that any personal attacks aimed at another City-Data user will be deleted, and a profile warning or infraction will be issued.

Thank you.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:25 PM

244 posts, read 1,092,778 times
I'm sorry, I just find it extremely hard to believe as a black male, that in 2007 LA still has racial issues. Perhaps it's socioeconomic and not race that is causing these so-called problems?

I'm aware that there are many successful blacks in LA that are not in entertainment, the music industry, or professional athletes. How did they get to where they are?

As a 21 year old black male, I learned a long time ago that the only color that matters is GREEN.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
I'm sorry, I just find it extremely hard to believe as a black male, that in 2007 LA still has racial issues. Perhaps it's socioeconomic and not race that is causing these so-called problems?

I'm aware that there are many successful blacks in LA that are not in entertainment, the music industry, or professional athletes. How did they get to where they are?

As a 21 year old black male, I learned a long time ago that the only color that matters is GREEN.

In a sense, you are right. Money makes the world go round. However, I am interested to see how you will feel about racism once you've achieved a very high position in which there are very, very few Black people. It will open your eyes as it has mine. I was like you when I was 21, but at 31 I have noticed things I had noticed before. When you say, socioeconomic and not race is the problem, what do you mean? I have an idea, but I don't want to assume. Please elaborate your point.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:44 PM

140 posts, read 606,378 times
All races, mixed, pure, semi-pure, whatever, have the same mix of levels of poverty, ignorance, rudeness, etc, etc. What the media needs to do is to stop portraying the Black people (and I say Black meaning the predominat shade of their skin color, whatever the mix or purity of their blood) as only those who live in Africa and stop portraying even those in Africa as being poor and destitute (even African culture is not all destitute). Being poor is not a crime, being without materialistic toys is not a crime. An agricultural community lives a far different and simpler lifestyle than a suburban or City 'slicker.' These things are all subjective and depend on what type of cultural community you live in. The media needs to stop grouping a people together based on a few or even several. Stop comparing small town or agricultural culture with City life--everywhere in a City one will find "poverty" because of the need or dependence on goods needed for survival. In a small town or in the country, one can survive with a vegetable garden, a few chickens, pigs, help of the neighbors, trading, etc. We will always have Black people--what needs to stop is this constant imposition of guilt placed on the rest of the world that they are always in need. There are many who are brilliant, highly intelligent, make tons of money, and are an asset to their communities, etc, etc. There are others who prefer a simpler way of life, farmers, etc. We have much to learn from each other but the continuous harping of deficiencies must cease in order for this to happen at a much greater extent than it has already. Better classes of any culture never mix well with the non-caring lower class mentality whatever the shade, reflection, or mix.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:08 AM

Since this thread is about to be closed, I want to thank you all for this frank and eye-opening discussion. It's obvious that despite the strides we've made in race relations, we still have a long way to go. Just yesterday, I was in class and the teacher was talking about "Black Exploitation" movies that he'd worked on in the 70's. Everyone immediately started making fun of them, including me. Then he talked about how he was not able to reveal who he was because his bosses wanted everyone to believe that all the people who'd worked on the films were Black. I don't think that was right, but as the only Black person in the room (which I usually am), I felt the need to defend those films as part of our culture. I could feel the racial tension in the room. It just makes me sad that we have all come to be friends over the years, but still that racial tension lies just beneath the surface, threatening to expose itself and ruin friendships forever. I really hope we can continue these dialogues in the future, so we can make more progress in learning to accept each other's racial and cultural differences. It will hurt for a while and become awkward between us, but I think the more we talk about it and stop trying to ignore it, the less it will hurt. Then the true healing can begin. Many blessings to everyone doing their best to make a change.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:06 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,518 times
i feel your pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles