Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 10:55 AM

128 posts, read 461,788 times

Advertisements

changing the image of black folks- good luck... it's too big in this lifetime....

Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,156,664 times
Default Time for a little honesty

Time for a little honesty here amongst all the feel-good sloganeering and hand-wringing about "hate."
Blacks are, and always have been, greatly over-represented in all negative social indicators in America:
Crime rates (especially violent crime)
Illegitimacy
Poor school performance and dropout rates
Ruining neighborhoods, public housing, etc.

The educated, hard-working, and good blacks have to realize that they appear to be somewhat in the minority, and an awful lot of their "people" are engaged in antisocial and dysfunctional behavior. This creates all the "hate", white flight, and stereotypes they find so bothersome. The black community has a tremendous amount of work to do to fix these problems.
Crying about hate, discrimination, or whatever is not going to fix the deeply-rooted problems.
As individuals I hate no one, and am nice to anyone, regardless of race, until they give me reason not to be nice. But bad behavior by a very large number of blacks in this country is simply undeniable, and causes alot of angst among the other races.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candid Canuck View Post
changing the image of black folks- good luck... it's too big in this lifetime....
Please don't say that. Remember you're talking to people who actually have to live this reality every single day. I don't know if you're black and speaking from experience, just wanted to put that in. I don't want to even think of a world where we can't eventually unlearn hatred. If so, then none of us of any color really belong here.

Racial sterotyping doesn't just hurt the person being sterotyped. It hurts the aggressive race because learning narrowmindedness will never further ANYBODY. It also hurts us because we're electively eliminating an entire segment of the population as potential friends, co-workers, lovers. I just hope what you're saying isn't true. I do know it feels hopeless at times. But I don't believe it *is* hopeless.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:05 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candid Canuck View Post
Please don't say that. Remember you're talking to people who actually have to live this reality (of being prejudged) every single day. I don't know if you're black and speaking from experience, just wanted to put that in. I don't want to even think of a world where we can't eventually unlearn hatred. If so, then none of us of any color really belong here.

Racial sterotyping doesn't just hurt the person being sterotyped. It hurts the aggressive race because learning narrowmindedness will never further ANYBODY. It also hurts us because we're electively eliminating an entire segment of the population as potential friends, co-workers, lovers. I just hope what you're saying isn't true. I do know it feels hopeless at times. But I don't believe it *is* hopeless.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 AM

yes, i am black and the reason i say this is because it will take progress to remove the sterotypes - rememeber most of hollywood is run by jewish who have business interests..... portraying blacks as cops, rappers, athletes sells....just like sex sells...

Old 03-28-2007, 11:38 AM

36 posts, read 154,007 times
hi canuck and mrkool--
i don't see any hand-wringing in these posts--just intelligent observation and honest opinions. You and Canuck are no more honest than any other poster here.

And Re: mrkool's list/statistics...The topic is not about the bad things people do, but rather, the frustration someone feels for not being seen for who they are--and what they offer--because of other's bad behaviour. (Does anyone truly believe this sort of illogical rationalization is fair? It's called prejudice.)

Racism, sexism, agism...it still exists. That's why we are discussing it.

and Re: "stereotyping hurts all"...You are so right, Jerz...!

When a male friend once told me "sexism* is not my problem" (you can insert any "ism" here) my response was roughly the same:

"Yes it is. When one group of people are not allowed to act to their fullest potential, everyone suffers. ..because those who are held down are not free to pursue their greatest potential and contribute fully to society...and the rest of society are excluded from the exchange of ideas, skills and knowledge. Society as a whole becomes stifled."

That's why people of all colour want things to improve--we're not bleeding hearts or hand-wringers--far from it! We believe in intellectual evolution, and this kind of exchange is part of the process. It's educational on a community/grass-root level.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:42 AM

i agree mover007! Paul Haggis tried with the movie "crash"

Old 03-28-2007, 11:56 AM

hi canuck and mrkool again~
given you both mentioned hollywood...
i am so tempted to start a hollywood thread, because racsim and sexism in media/film (i don't watch tv) is a good topic. (The changes occuring, etc...) Should i?

I'm a writer (in progress--we'll see where it takes me. LOL), so I'm interested in hearing other's opinions.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:09 PM

oh sorry...!
mrkool did not mention the media...but the depiction of a group of people can stem from the media's portrayal of them. (especially since (*not sure , but some say) many whites don't associate with blacks that often in LA, given the car culture. (hence Crash's premise)

*I'm new to LA--I lived in London and NYC prior. I found those cities much more integrated, being a pedestrian freindly culture, and all. I think LA suffers from its car-culture--..it probably nurtures racism by seperating people from one another's experiences...(?) Just a thought...

Old 03-28-2007, 12:15 PM

16 posts, read 81,016 times
This is hilarious. I do not live in Cali but I am black and live in one of the blackest cities in the U.S. Detroit, MI! I get so tired of blacks worrying about what a white individual thinks of them and white individuals worrying about blacks. Life would be so much easier if you all would just mind your own business. Yes, more than likely you (blacks) will work for a white individual but why not try to work for yourself. You will never make more than your boss(black or white)...make something happen for yourself. I am a black female, 27yrs. old, grew up in the ghetto (seen individuals killed, beaten, etc.) I am in college, work full time and have no kids, never been in a fight a day in my life, except with my bestfriend of too many years to count when i was about 10, lol...we are still bestfriends. My mother raised me alone in the middle of all the chaos to be proud of and love myself, always watch my surroundings, dont depend on anyone else and no one loves me like me...I have attended a majority white college, Kent State University, Kent, OH. Have dealt with so much but you know what life goes on. Ignore ignorant people. And as far as the videos, these rappers are speaking on what they know and grew up living in...the role models of your children should be you. I hope your kids have enough confidence to believe in themselves and not have to get their information, love, comfort, protection from others...that is the problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles