Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 10:22 AM

669 posts, read 3,194,722 times

Advertisements

I have nothing against black people for their color. I have many black friends. The issue is the way some of them ACT -- ghetto, ignorant, etc etc. But this exists in every race.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:51 AM

644 posts, read 3,321,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
I read the message boards about racism and there is a lot of hostility aimed at African Americans. Lots of races want to dress Black, talk Black, act Black, but don't want to be Black. After all this time, after all the strides we have made, why are we still saddled with negative stereotypes? I am tired of people seeing "Black, lazy, unintelligent" when they first see me. I go to school full time, work part-time, and I am raising a child. My grade point average has always been 3.0 or better. So why do I have to prove myself everywhere I go? Is there anyone out there who doesn't have a negative image of Black people? Please help. Being Black is not a crime, but it certainly feels like it.
I'm sorry to hear you encounter this kind of nonsense, on the other hand, welcome to America. Ignorance is something we all have to deal with. I'm sure there are groups to join if you want to become politically involved and fight back to become an agent of change. You will probably also find some support. But at some level, we have to accept those things we cannot change, and live the best life that we can without getting caught up in other people's anger and paranoia and insecurity, which is what racism is.

Artie

Old 03-25-2007, 01:42 PM

24 posts, read 79,490 times
Default interesting...

You know, I am still currently living in small-town Wisconsin for the next few months but this post interested me. I am from mixed ancestry, mother's half of the family is African-American, Father's Half German/Polish mix, so I have got to deal with racism from both ends to an extent. Its not that white people are the only racists, when I go to Texas and visit family there I am just a Cracker-Ass Half-breed and up here I am one of about 10 black people in my city of 60,000, making me a ****** to some people. Its very interesting to see how pop culture portrays people of African decent, but the sad part of it is the it is out fellow African Americans that are creating these stereotypes!

Growing up, I saw a hardworking family, regardless of color. An Aunt with an MBA, an Uncle that was a manager of a Car Dealer, college educated as well. A grandfather and another uncle that had a proud military careers, and a mother that did her best to find mentally handicapped people jobs. These people never let the restraints of pop-culture of perceived prejudices get them down. The only way to end prejudice is to prove that they are wrong. I just wish more of us saw it that way.

One last thing, my whole family doesn't live in Wisconsin, a number of them live in Chicago, and they have dealt with prejudice, and overcame it.

Don't complain, use it as the catalyst and motivation to do better.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:42 PM

923 posts, read 3,514,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
As an African American myself, I can relate to your question. I grew up in the Midwest with White people. I was a minority in my hometown so basically grew up in a small town white culture. I did not grow up in the Black ghetto culture. I talk White.

Us Black people are not bad people but the media has made Black culture from the ghettos something to despise. Ever watch the Hip Hop music videos on Black Entertainment Television? What a sad situation. These people are terrible and they make all of us look bad.

Where the problems lie is the media shows all blacks that way and these Hip Hop artists make alot of money exploiting our people. So many Blacks follow and and imitate the Hip Hop Culture.

I think many of us believe the Black people were actually better when we were Negros in the 1950s before intergration.
Well thought out response...

Old 03-25-2007, 03:34 PM

35 posts, read 205,603 times
Thank you all for your insight and advice. I have taken it all in and I agree that we as African Americans have our own responsibility in diminishing these negative images of us by providing more positive ones. However, many Black people seem to be afraid to get together to help solve this problem, for fear of being accused of racial exclusion. We want to help ourselves and our communities, but whenever groups of Black people get together, other people get nervous and think we're forming a conspiracy to kill white people or something. All we want to do is get together and voice the problems we have among us, and work on fixing them. Should we not worry about these accusations and do what we have to do? We have to start somewhere. If we don't help our own people rise above this rut we're in, who else will? Most races look out for their own, which is natural. That's fine with me as long as one race isn't hogging all the power and privilege. Share the power, that's all I'm saying. There should be no superior race. That's what started this mess in the first place.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:56 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,339,985 times
I've had one crime actually committed against me personally ever: I was held up one day. It was by a white guy. For the record, I'm a blonde (naturally but not always) and a white male. I'm not fond of trashy, ignorant people, I don't care what color they are. This has nothing to do with how much money one does or does not have. The "us v. them" attitude is unfortunate. It's ignorance. My idea of hell is a gated community with all white people. I'm sad to admit that when I'd ride through Inglewood with my grandmother back in the 70's, she'd have us quickly roll up the windows when she saw any black people...in broad daylight! The worst racism I've experienced in Los Angeles was when I had a latino boyfriend. The hatred we both endured from this was dreadful. He always held his head high and refused to let it get to him. He's now a published author with a Master's degree (actually 2)...and people would always treat him like a *******. We split several years ago for other reasons.

I bounced back between Hawaii and Los Angeles growing up. When on the island, I was beaten up almost daily for being white. I used to beg my mother do dye my hair black and let me wear sunglasses all the time. When I came back to L.A., it always vanished like nothing. Racism is ugly no matter who it comes from or to whom it is directed.

My Godson is 19 now and biracial. He grew up in Atascadero. The day I found out the neighborhood kids were using that word at him, I nearly boarded a plane. He's now in college and a delightful young man. His mother married a white guy much younger than she is a couple years ago.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:03 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I like educated, well-spoken black people. I only have a problem with the ghetto ones who play their rap music at volume so high that even four cars away my car is shaking to the beat, the ones who call each other "n-----", the ones who deal drugs, the loud and obnoxious ones, the ones who argue and yell at 2:00 a.m. as if it's 2:00 p.m., etc. Unfortunately, these are the kind who move into my building. My son once accused me of being racist. I'm not racist; I would dislike anyone else who exhibited these behaviors - white, black, brown, it doesn't matter.

If someone is wearing certain clothing, walking a certain way, etc. then yes, I will assume things about them - probably that they are less educated, etc. That's just human nature; we judge people by appearances, closely followed by that person's behavior. I don't assume that all black people are ghetto, because they aren't. I just wish more good people would move into my building!
Hey Sandyco, I'm black and I don't like those types of people either.

I can't stand people that stand on the corners loitering all night. Get a damn job! It's like they don't want to go home.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
As for more blacks being in jail, it works both ways. I *personally* feel (I could be wrong--please don't everyone freak out on me) that more blacks are preyed on by law enforcement than whites in the first place. A black who is stopped for speeding is MUCH more likely to have his or her car searched for "drugs" than a white person. Yet I know a ton of whites who constantly smoke blunts--it's sooooooooooo cool to do...ahem, are you sh*tting me? But who's gonna stop my sister-in-law in her SOOOOOOOOOO cute widdle tiny white shiny car and search HER? More likely the cop would peek in the window, grin at her fake breasts and wave her on. In fact, it's happened...many times. Because she's sooooooooo cute...and so white. And so addicted to smokin' out. If she were ever searched...she'd be in jail. (I even hate to say this b/c I love SIL and think she's very bright and sweet but in this context...I think it bears saying.)

I've said my piece...
Oh Jerz honey you hit it right on the head! A few years ago, there was a scandal regarding the State Troopers on the New Jersey Turnpike constantly stopping and searching black cars at will and NOT EVEN GIVING A REASON WHY. What brought it to light was when four black youths were shot in their van by some state troopers, because they DARED to question WHY they were stopped. It was a horrible tragedy, but because of it many things began to change. Thus the term "Driving While Black".

There's something called "White Privilege" in this country, especially on the east coast. I was called for jury duty in NYC twice to serve on a criminal jury. I never got picked, but all I saw for the entire week that I was there were MINORITY suspects. By minority, I mean black, hispanic, chinese, everything, but white. You cannot tell me that the italian, irish kids of NYC don't commit crimes. They're allowed to get away with much more. But see, when they leave America to go to other countries "white privilege" goes out the window. They will not be able to get away with things just because they're white and american, which many are now experiencing in these foreign countries.

I will give California this - they arrest people of ALL races. I see wanted posters for WHITE as well as minorities and in its own twisted way that's a good thing.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
Thank you all for your insight and advice. I have taken it all in and I agree that we as African Americans have our own responsibility in diminishing these negative images of us by providing more positive ones. However, many Black people seem to be afraid to get together to help solve this problem, for fear of being accused of racial exclusion. We want to help ourselves and our communities, but whenever groups of Black people get together, other people get nervous and think we're forming a conspiracy to kill white people or something. All we want to do is get together and voice the problems we have among us, and work on fixing them. Should we not worry about these accusations and do what we have to do? We have to start somewhere. If we don't help our own people rise above this rut we're in, who else will? Most races look out for their own, which is natural. That's fine with me as long as one race isn't hogging all the power and privilege. Share the power, that's all I'm saying. There should be no superior race. That's what started this mess in the first place.
Not to knock you Invisible, but it's 2007. If blacks don't know what they need to do to get themselves out of certain types of situations now, then they NEVER will. There is nothing you can do about that. Everyone knows the way out of poverty and ignorance is through EDUCATION. There will ALWAYS BE A PERMANENT UNDERCLASS IN ALL RACES. Go to the southern and midwestern states and you will see a gazillion trailers in poor areas occupied by whites who will NEVER leave the poverty line. The problem is the media doesn't want to show that america has poor whites for some reason. It goes against the fantasy.

I hate the stereotypes too, but all you can do is YOU. White american media loves to see blacks in either two roles - laughing comedic negro or mean, thugged out crack dealer or prostitute. There is no inbetween. If you are a normal, articulate speaking black person with a head on your shoulders you're going against the grain of what an African American is SUPPOSED to act like.

I feel you though. Because I don't have the stereotypical "black" look in Los Angeles, I'm constantly asked if I'm Puerto Rican. Don't ask me why. I wear my hair in an afro and my features scream negro, but since I'm lightskin there's no way I can be completely "black". I guess peeps forgot about America's famous "One-Drop Rule". I've also had white people say to me (in NYC, not Cali) that "you don't "act" or "talk" like a black person. You're different." Because I have an excellent command of the English language with no distinct dialect people cannot assume my full ethnicity over the phone or in person. Their problem not mine.

You and I are ALWAYS going to have to prove (in America atleast) that we are not like the undereducated and grammatically incorrect speaking brothas and sistas portrayed on TV and music videos. Many of us do want to become doctors, engineers, architects, lawyers, etc. We're not all trying to be athletes and entertainers.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
My idea of hell is a gated community with all white people. I'm sad to admit that when I'd ride through Inglewood with my grandmother back in the 70's, she'd have us quickly roll up the windows when she saw any black people...in broad daylight!
LOL!!! I'm sorry Sorcerer, I found this so funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles