Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:07 AM

131 posts, read 510,405 times

Advertisements

The stigma needs to be removed that if you're educated or interested in your education that you're white washed or a sell out or your parents must be rich.
If black children can see a world that is theirs for the taking beyond the guys on the corner doing this and that or someone always in/out of jail then the bar can be raised. When non blacks see an educated and/or well-spoken black person we are seen somehow "different" not black. I had a co-worker one time say " I don't think of you as being black, you're different", I wanted to be insulted but we had a good relationship. I corrected her of course by letting her know I am black and not "different" and proud of my culture.

I would like to see black people come together to solve problems within our culture. Like back in the Civil Rights days. That's when change can and will happen.

Sometimes it can be hard to know if someone is racist or just being rude and/or inattentive. That not being known I tend to go about my business unless the behaviour is really rude. Then I will speak up. Non-threatening of course, wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that I'm gonna come back with my homies. JK LOL

Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 AM

Don't forget Small town USA. Where racism never changes because the only race in that town is white and old beliefs are being passed down and unchallenged. Blacks and othe minorities don't want to deal with racism so they don't move to those towns. That's segregation by default. So it stays the same.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:31 AM

9 posts, read 35,941 times
Whatalady,

With all due respect, I wanted to point out the below I wrote concerning another post. I recognize the way some small towns can be, but I wanted it to be heard that not all smaller towns are that way. For instance, the city I'm moving from (Boise, Idaho) to the 'Big LA'.

I'm not trying to point you out or be rude, but it is a frustration of mine (being from a small town), the misconceptions or generalizations some have.

Thanks for reading the below. : )

-eeka
--------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle
Of course, but Im afraid that those writing this kind of things are not people living in bad areas, are simply people who want to be complaining about everything and everytime, probably if they live in Idaho they write in the local paper about a cat who was ruining their gardens, or shocked because a black family arrived town.....

Hi Miracle,

I'm sorry, but I DO need to point out the inaccuracy of your view of Idahoans. Read some of my other posts and you'll understand a bit more. I'm moving from Boise to L.A. in a few weeks, and from what I'VE observed, there is a TON less racial tension and a LOT more racial acceptance HERE than what I've experienced in larger cities, and what I've heard concerning L.A. Please don't generalize...it is one thing continuing to propagate the idea that Idahoans are both all neo-nazis as well as homo-phobic. We just happen to have had a large population of 'neo-nazi' jerks in N. Idaho a while back, but they do not represent the majority. We have lots of asian, black, hispanic, people who live here, and Boise is maybe the most friendly and accepting places you'll find. As far as the homo-phobic, it's seen that way because of the large population of conservative Christians who are afraid to vote anything other than Republican. Yes, Idaho voted for Bush and for no gay marriage, but I promise you that it does NOT represent even the majority. It represented the majority added up from all counties, but in Boise and many other areas, the majority did NOT vote for Bush OR 'no' on gay marriage.

I'm only saying this because I feel it is these small comments that make large ideas in people's heads. I know there are many backwards people here, but I've experienced more low-income whites than blacks, and just as many professional well-to-do blacks as whites. If I had a black person move in next door to me tomorrow, I'd go and greet them and introduce myself to them just like I would anyone. In fact, I've had a hard time not seeing the white population here as the ones who're living in their poverty with no will to get out. And in fact...I'm just remember...my last neighbor next-door was hispanic. It never crossed my mind that they were any different than myself. And even when a gun showed up one night by an ex-husband, I still didn't associate it with race...I still don't. Again, : ), please help me and the rest of the world to not spread generalizations. I understand if you've had a bad experience with someone from Idaho who's ignorant, or have seen negative things in the news...but, again, those things are not representative of what the people here are really like. In fact, I have never run into anyone who has a problem with those of other races, and we also have a large muslim community here. Downtown is diverse in it's ethnic restaurants run by emigrants, and are very appreciated. And Idaho's motto is "Idaho Is Too Great For Hate". But, yes, there are bad things in any city.

Thanks...I needed to stand up for that misunderstanding you have of Idahoans. : )

-eeka

Old 03-26-2007, 02:08 AM

Duely noted Eeka.
I still stand behind my statement. I'm talking about small towns with no other races and where prejudice is accepted and expected. Due to racism being passed from generation to generation. Children are forced to believe what their parents tell them especially if they don't have their own positive interactions with other races and cultures. Unfortunately, in said town, those who don't have prejudicial views are the minority.

Eeka, you may not have experienced or seen racism if you were not the minority. Just because a city or town has a mixed population no matter the size, does not mean racism doesn't exist. It's just not done in such a public way. Also, someone may not be racist per se but may feel minorities are not as important as whites.
My statements are general and in no way speak about everyone in small towns or those who grew up in prejudice families and/or neighborhoods.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
I think the difference is that there is a more overt racism in many small towns, people are more upfront about it but racism can be more subtle but just as malignant in big cities.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:45 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,247,925 times
[quote=SandyCo;494710]I like educated, well-spoken black people. I only have a problem with the ghetto ones who play their rap music at volume so high that even four cars away my car is shaking to the beat, the ones who call each other "n-----", the ones who deal drugs, the loud and obnoxious ones, the ones who argue and yell at 2:00 a.m. as if it's 2:00 p.m., etc.QUOTE]

I'm a black guy and I like educated well spoken WHITE people. I only have a problem with the ghetto white people who play their rap music so high my car shakes to the beat and who call each other the n word. You know, the loud obnoxious ones who wear baseball caps sideways and wear baggy clothes and say 'YOU KNOW WHAT I"M SAYING' I also hate all the registered sex offenders in our neighborhood who are all white. And thank god they caught the white serial killer here in Washington state who killed more than 50 women. Thank god they caught Jeffrey Dalmer the white guy who killed and chopped off heads and stored them in the freezer.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:51 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,473 times
"Non-threatening of course, wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that I'm gonna come back with my homies. JK LOL"

Good one!

For some reason I perceive your homies to be armed with pocket protectors and BlackBerrys, savagely attacking their foes with an avalanche of e-mail.

Sorry for butting in, ladies. (eeka and whatalady)
I'm outta here.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:53 AM

36 posts, read 154,005 times
Default Race and the fear factor

There will ALWAYS BE A PERMANENT UNDERCLASS IN ALL RACES. Go to the southern and midwestern states and you will see a gazillion trailers in poor areas occupied by whites who will NEVER leave the poverty line.
[/quote]

True...and folks will roll up their windows and lock their cars if they drive through such white "dodgy areas", as well.

But it's not logical to fear an entire race by the actions of some individuals; any race can slip into poverty or madness or drugs. Any race can start gangs or organized crime in order to "get ahead". In fact, white violent gangs and organized crime exist all over the world.(e.g. Russia, the UK)

And what about the fear factor based on race in LA? (some posters brought it up)...the violence, the gangs?

History shows that immigrants in the past (many white) were no better than those in LA now. (read Luc Sante's Low Life for one example) They were looked down upon; many survived by illegal means. There were drugs, fighting, territorial "wars".

On a personal, and more recent level, i deeply feared for my safety twice in my lifetime--once when a group of college boys threatened me and a friend (we fought them off) , another time, a guy was off his meds and assualted me from behind. The former were white, the latter, black--but why should that make me fear/hate either race?

Sure i get nervous sometimes, but it's based on body language (lumbering or aggressive, for instance) not skin colour. And the subject can be wearing anything from "street-fashion" to a business suit; they might like rap or classic rock.

Unfortunately, some people only remember race when bad things happen to them. I personally believe it’s people’s issues (their situation, personality, etc.)—not their race—that influence their actions, be they violent or kind.

So invisible, please don't judge all of LA, either, by some people. I know it's hard , but it's not worth your energy.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:31 AM

196 posts, read 1,237,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
I have had three issues with crime in LA. Two of the suspects were black. The other was Mexican.
Black people in Los Angeles city is 12%, while latinos are 47%, and your issues with crime are two/one.....

In Los Angeles county only 10% are black.

In Orange County, but im afraid crime is highest in those black majority areas than in those asian or latino majority areas.

Are mexicans the only problem of this mega city?? are illegals worst than some legals living thanks to government help but doing nothing for this southern californian mega urban area???

Old 03-26-2007, 09:44 AM

989 posts, read 5,926,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle View Post
In Orange County, but im afraid crime is highest in those black majority areas than in those asian or latino majority areas.

but where in Orange County is there a Black majority city?

(I'm fairly confident to say that the majority of crimes in most of O.C. are done by Latinos.)
Infact, 1/10 locked up in Orange County Jail are illegals, as stated in the latest news release, and will be deported back to their "casas."

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 03-26-2007 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles