Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:43 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post

Is there a father that goes with your child???
Nice insult there, cowboy. Do you believe in immaculate conception or alien abduction? No? Then unless there was a donor, I would venture a guess that there is a father that goes with her child.

You really didn't have to go that route junkman. Whether or not she has a relationship with the father of her child is none of your GD business and should have no bearing on her initial post or the subsequent thread.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:51 PM

35 posts, read 205,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post

Is there a father that goes with your child???
Yes there is, but he lives out of state. He calls and visits, pays child support. We broke up before I had my son. Why do you ask?

Old 03-26-2007, 12:54 PM

35 posts, read 205,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Nice insult there, cowboy. Do you believe in immaculate conception or alien abduction? No? Then unless there was a donor, I would venture a guess that there is a father that goes with her child.

You really didn't have to go that route junkman. Whether or not she has a relationship with the father of her child is none of your GD business and should have no bearing on her initial post or the subsequent thread.

Thank you DontH8Me,

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I know lots of screwed up people who had both parents in the home. Sometimes being a single parent is the best thing for the child. It's worked out fine for mine.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:11 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
Thank you DontH8Me,

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I know lots of screwed up people who had both parents in the home. Sometimes being a single parent is the best thing for the child. It's worked out fine for mine.
Yeah...I didn't appreciate that slant either but for once I wasn't the one who had to say it. Obviously a few other people said it for me. I felt like the slant was, "See? Just like all of them, you're a single-parent family and you're perpetuating your own problems." Bleah. I'm sorry to junkman if that wasn't his intention. But I wouldn't have come to that conclusion on my own if he had explained himself rather than that rather aggressive and "pointed" question.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:55 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,728,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
Is there anyone out there who doesn't have a negative image of Black people?
I'm white. Been called a "n*****" many times. Been told I try to act black, had "n*****" tagged in my work locker, and am into "black" things. I do not walk around talking "black" (or ebonics, ghetto, etc). But am accepted by black friends. I stand up against racism towards blacks. 4 of my exs are blacks. I could go on.

But to answer your question. Well I cant answer for all, but after all I've been through, I still have a negative image on black people. SOME. My boss is a black woman. Great person. But theres rotten apples out there and it goes for any race. When I do see a black person, I dont immediately think "oh here comes an uneducated loud mouthed black person."

I plan on leaving So Cali, and have hardly any (2-3 maybe) black neighbors within a huge block radius of a few miles. But I still am looking for an area with a low percentage of blacks. Because, it is what it is. I can't help the fact that black people represent themselves in poor ways. I wouldnt want to move into an area where people were loud and obnoxious, get into my business and any stereotypical things you can think of. Would I live in an area with a very large percentage of well mannered, educated or at least respectful black people who are like my close friends? SURE, no problem.

And I agree with the Chris Rock comment. I think a lot of people think this way. I could say the same about whites, hispanics, asians, middle easterns europeans, etc...

Old 03-26-2007, 06:46 PM

23 posts, read 48,638 times
I lived in L.A. and Orange County many years ago, and all these people with racist views do not surprise me one bit. I'm glad I left that hell hole.

I'm an 'upper middle class' white professional who is originally from London, and I've never noticed this kind of racism until I moved to the United States (L.A. especially.) In London we have many blacks, but I've never really noticed racism towards them and certainly not to this agree. New York doesn't even seem anywhere as bad as L.A.

Just read some of the posts on this forum, a reflexion of the crass and close-minded people that infest L.A.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:32 AM

240 posts, read 1,423,708 times
Here in LA, I don't see it as much as a race problem as it is a lack of money problem. I think the only color that matters here in LA is "green." If you have a bunch of "green", you are not likely to experience much discrimination, but if you don't have a lot of it, you almost certainly will experience discrimination, no matter what your skin color. However, the amount of discrimination that a person will experience without money probably increases if the person also has dark skin and lacks a good education.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:38 AM

841 posts, read 2,261,252 times
All I Know is there is major race wars in Southern Cal ..which is not the case in N.CAL

Old 03-27-2007, 12:50 AM

240 posts, read 1,423,708 times
Actually, I could be mistaken but I don't think it is accurate to state that we have "race wars" here. What I think we have here is criminal street gang violence from warring gangs. The gangs are sometimes from different races and sometimes the warring gangs are the same race. The criminal street gangs are territorial and will shoot outsiders who they don't want in their neghborhood and this causes a lot of problems for everyone who lives here. If you don't have this problem in Northern CA, you are very fortunate.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:24 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,103 times
I am sickened by racism, too.

To answer your question, though, I can only speak from my own experiences in talking to other people. I think that many people believe that the African-American population has a sense of entitlement--their hands are always out asking for more money. People look at the Vietnamese, Cambodians, et al who came here under wretched circumstances, drifting in boats for weeks, eating feces, drinking salt water and see them succeed and wonder why the black community keeps complaining. That's a valid question.

Unfortunately, the political elites who address black issues don't want to ask the same questions and won't address those same questions. Even prominent African Americans like Chris Rock, Bill Cosby and Oprah Winfrey have expressed disappointment with the entitlement mentality that seems to permeate the black community.

Then there's the problem that bedevils anyone who disagrees with an African American (or a feminist or a homosexual)--if you do disagree, you're immediately labeled a racist. This is done as an effort to shout down someone so one doesn't have to argue an issue on its merits. Fortunately, more and more people are moving beyond the attempt at embarrassment from this politically correct attitude to continue asking the questions.

The true racists are people like the KKK who hate you because your skin color is different. If someone is against illegal immigration, against Affirmative Action, that is not the definition of racist. Not even the dictionary says that. Only people who don't like someone disagreeing with them. I'm sure many people who are rabidly liberal even say things that might be racist. And I'm sure it's hurtful. I have to admit that, being a white, Anglo-Saxon Protestant male, I've been born into relative privilege so I haven't dealt with the things you have. I can only give you a little insight into what people say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles