Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 03:07 PM

33 posts, read 135,112 times

Advertisements

I don't think that would be a double standard so much as unnecessary as long as whites are still a majority. I think the whole purpose of specialty or minority groups is due to their lack of representation in main-stream...ie...black magazines, black tv networks, hispanic tv networks, hispanic magazines, etc...does that make sense? I believe we could comb the magazine shelves and find that the overwhelming majority of the publications have whites on the covers. The same could be said of television stations. Likewise, it is my guess that since it has been said here that blacks are a minority in the LA middle class...it makes sense that there would be a "blacks n LA" organization. People tend to want to connect with persons who share something in common whether that be an experience (AA and MADD for example) or a race. It's not as though people who don't drink or are not and have never been drunks wouldn't be liked among AA participants, but they might find they have little in common with the people there. As soon as we find whites in the minority for the middle class in any given city, I'm sure noone would object or question the formation of such a group.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:07 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,497,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candid Canuck View Post
you're right double standards exist.... one vicious cycle
I do believe that double standards is one big reason for all the hate along with others.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:19 PM

128 posts, read 461,788 times
it drives the economic cycle of race relations

Old 03-28-2007, 03:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
If we had a group called "White N LA" It would be a big race issue. typical double standards!
Okay...feel free to smack me...when I read this, I burst out laughing in a strange mixture of mirth and terror at the thought of a National Association for the Advancement of Caucasian People! That seriously was the first thought that popped into my head. Seriously, even I'd be terrified. I'd figure it must be Skinheads or something.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:23 PM

i don't get "racist Homosexuals" in LA. kinda like an oxymoron

Old 03-28-2007, 03:25 PM

Baygirl, yes, of course you're right. If whites were a minority, then white-geared groups would be acceptable. And across the U.S. as a whole, whites are still the majority. I'm sure people do understand this--it's just that it really does cause a "shocked" kind of feeling to reverse things and imagine nationally publicized, government funded, etc. white groups in that way.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:25 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatalady View Post
The other thing that bothers me is when you have a successful black person, everyone wants to know "what's your story?". Meaning, what ghetto did you come from? Tell us your struggles. Were you in a gang? Single parent? Were your parents on welfare, did you even know your dad? Were you the first one in your family to go to college?

While those may be true for some, it is not true for all. People think just because you're black you had to come from hardship lane and their surprised to find out you didn't.
To all those who base their views of black people on a few bad situations:
STOP JUDGING US. Do you really have such limited interactions with black people that you have to judge the whole black race on a few people? I bet you don't do that with any other race. Maybe you need to learn how to judge people on their character and/or how they carry themselves not their skin color. Get a clue!

I'm "white" and I never think "what's your story, what ghetto did you come from, single parent", etc.? Why should I think that? My brother and I came here with a divorced mom in 1968 (from Europe) - none of us knew a single word of English; we moved to ?Timbuktoo, Ohio, in the middle of squat, my mom worked manual labor jobs to support us. We worked and lived on my uncle's farm; plucked ducks, geese, chickens for food, used to come home and see the pots of water boiling - knew that it was plucking time. Also raised vegetables/fruit on several acres. Started working at age 14, brother started working at age 12 in a local restaurant. We finished college; no one asked us if we grew up in the ghetto, were raised by a single mom. Why? Because we're "white" and automatically everything came easy to us? No, it did not.

I don't care what someon's race is; that's simply an excuse. People of all colors, races, ethnicities have challenges; it's called life. It happens to all of us.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:26 PM

35 posts, read 185,712 times
This is what I like about this forum. It feels like the most intelligent and nicest people in the world are here.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Amoakohene View Post
This is what I like about this forum. It feels like the most intelligent and nicest people in the world are here.
Okay. I'm going to assume that either has to be sarcasm or genuine warmth of human feeling. (Final Jeopardy interlude playing in background) Okay, I vote for...genuine warmth of human feeling. Thank you, Dennis!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:31 PM

i don't think everything comes easy to whites either..... just asians and east indians.......... joking JK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles