Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 07:25 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get my son in to a National Institute of Health study in Maryland. If we get to go, I will see if we can budget in the museum (I also have to trip-tick it to see). I would value my kids seeing that museum.

Marilyn--I do believe you. I'm not every white person, though. But yes. I have had occasion to (shiver) drive through the south twice (with my eyes freaking straight out front, not looking right or left, and not going one mile of the speed limit) and I can say yes. I believe you.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:39 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
Marilyn220, I know there is a lot of truth and pain in your message. Unfortunately, it takes time for an individual to change and even more time for an entire society to change. I also think that any group of people who holds itself out as having more "rights" than another group of people will find it hard to adjust to a new era where they don't have the same privileges that they had before. You might be right that true equality will only come into being once those who grew up with racism have passed from this earth; however, I don't think that their deaths alone will be enough. I think racism and hatred are passed down from generation to generation and people need to be educated so that they will form a new belief system that does not include racist beliefs or thoughts. Even in LA, one's friends tend to be of the same race. Unfortunately, I don't think racism will stop entirely until each person in this country can look inside his or her address book and see a variety of names there that match a variety of races.
These atrocities against blacks supposedly officially stopped happening in the 70s (maybe), so it's only been 40 years since blacks had to have a bill signed to declare them human beings and have equal rights under the law. It really hasn't been that long for people to get rid of their distrusts (blacks) and biases (whites).

Hopefully, in the next generation or so things will change for the better where a black person can really be "judged on the content of their character" and not the color of their skin as MLK so eloquently put it.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:06 PM

14 posts, read 326,837 times
saying white people shouldn't "talk black" implies racism (the assertion that black people's speech is inferior). no one would have a problem with a black guy jammin out to u2, led zepellin, willie nelson or any other "white" artists; they might think it was strange, but it wouldn't be seen as wrong the way it is when white kids listen to snoop dogg. why is it ok for white culture to try to influence blacks, but the reverse is not? as blacks gain prominence in society and communities become better integrated, their influence on culture as a whole will continue to grow. this is a good thing.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:35 PM

140 posts, read 531,784 times
I think it's great that whites are influenced by the Black culture, but I don't like seeing sagging pants and do-rags on Black kids anymore than I like seeing on white kids. Our Black culture is so rich, there are other aspects that could be a better influence than the "rapper-thug" look, I call it. Sorry, but I don't want my young African American son wearing long white t-shirts and sagging jeans, listening to music that called women b***** and H***. That includes Eminem, who is quite white, singing songs about murdering his wife. It's a negative culture that no kids of any race should be influenced by. Just my opinion.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:11 AM

To the above poster,
What kind of brainwashing propaganda have you been plagued with? I am neither angry nor amused by your post. I think you need therapy and a lot of hugs. Many blessings and I hope your outlook on Blacks will change as mine have changed about whites. Do not join the KKK it is a cult that brainwashes impressionable souls like yourself.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:46 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatalady View Post
Question: how d'ya know when someone is having a bad day, just being rude or is prejudice???
Okay...not that this thread exactly invites levity, but I thought Whatalady and others would appreciate this. A few posts back we were talking about people we have met who have seemd to just not like us on sight, even down to people in front of us on line being given a smile, while we're treated almost with anger.

I gave my story about the male cashier at Ralph's who glares daggers through me every time I get on his line. :P It was a very impassioned and detailed post about the terrible way this man treats me.

Well, NATURALLY, in order for God to prove me wrong, today I start to get on one line (not his--I'm afraid of him!) and wouldn't you know it, he waves me over saying "I'm opening" and OH WAS THIS MAN EVER NICE TO ME.

I mean nice as in a continuous stream of friendly conversation...and complimenting my kids!

LOL! It so figures. Maybe dude reads this forum! ("Oh man, I really p*ssed off that JerZ lady, I better be nice next time...") Just kidding.

So, okay. I vote: Yes, instant dislike can be because of race, on any side. But it can also be from something TOTALLY WEIRD AND OBSCURE that you will never, ever, and I mean ever figure out.

I'm just glad to have come home without crushed bread!

Old 03-30-2007, 04:15 PM

36 posts, read 153,980 times
Default rap as art: a historical view

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. kenneth noisewater View Post
"...why is it ok for white culture to try to influence blacks, but the reverse is not? as blacks gain prominence in society and communities become better integrated, their influence on culture as a whole will continue to grow. this is a good thing."
warning: geeky, philosophical musing ahead!

I'm a history buff, so Dr. Noisewater's opinion rings true. Love it or hate it: Rap/hip hop is a part of American culture.

We can choose to keep our kids from it, just as we can choose to avoid some rock music, video games, etc... All of these can have sexist, racist, or just plain violent content. (Violence/sexism/racism are never suitable for children, IMO.)

In all fairness, Rock or Country sounds bad too, when it is played loudly on the corner, surrounded by kids in bandanas and empty bottles. I've been tempted to egg a few rowdy cowboys in my day...

But throughout history, people loved or hated music that is considered benign (or preferable) today. Jazz for instance, blues, rock n roll-- many adults said these were evil, annoying and distasteful. And not just racist whites but some African Americans. (e.g. religious people; those embarrassed by the negative perceptions it evoked, etc. ). It really wasn't much different than today, in that respect.

For instance, early jazz and blues were thought to be a negative influence on society. But society wanted to hear it--because we are all part of the same society--we have affected one another. That is why African Americans have and will always contribute to our musical history--the jewels in the crown, IMO.

Sure, older music sounds much more sedate compared to music today--but everything is more intense today, not just rap. ( i.e hollywood films, TV, video games, even fine art in the loftiest museums). I'm not saying the intense content is always a good thing--but it is a reflection of our culture...as art tends to be.

I agree that rap (or any music) is not all great--the violence or sex can seem gratuitous, which IMO takes it down a notch. But all in all, I think rap is as valid an art form as any other music/art/lit. Writers like James Baldwin and Richard Price both pushed buttons: they wrote of things people would want to forget/ignore. Their content could be considered violent and racist...but it was a reflection of what was happening in society. Their work is art.

You personally don't have to like what you see/read/hear. Some of it can be very disturbing or too shallow. (Artists/musicians/writers don't all like each other's work, either.) But, music, in all forms, is significant and it will always evolve. It simultaneously reflects/influences the times (good and bad). That's the nature of art.

(P.S., please don't slay me for my op-piece! I'm house-bound with a bad knee. )

Last edited by mover007; 03-30-2007 at 04:35 PM..

Old 03-30-2007, 06:55 PM

131 posts, read 510,262 times
jerz, I am OTFR!!!
good one!

Old 03-30-2007, 07:44 PM

36 posts, read 153,980 times
Lightbulb media--what you see, is what they show you

There's always another side of the coin...if you can find it.

Here's an African American indie film, made in 1977, that critics say portrays a black family in Watts with beauty, senstivity and honesty...(unlike many films of that era). Yet, it was "lost" until now...

It has since been restored (by UCLA) and will be released soon. I can't wait--it looks brilliant.

http://www.killerofsheep.com/

Old 03-30-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Thanks a million

Quote:
Originally Posted by mover007 View Post
There's always another side of the coin...if you can find it.

Here's an African American indie film, made in 1977, that critics say portrays a black family in Watts with beauty, senstivity and honesty...(unlike many films of that era). Yet, it was "lost" until now...

It has since been restored (by UCLA) and will be released soon. I can't wait--it looks brilliant.

http://www.killerofsheep.com/

Thank you for that link, Mover. I can't wait to see this film. Much love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles