Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 06:27 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
Until you actually fly over Los Angeles and see how few trees and greenery there is below the brown haze. Ever flown over other states where cities that were not originally built in a desert environment.....like with woods and forests? Like the Northeast or Tennessee?
I have flown in & out of Los Angeles and have seen the smog! but the mountains don't look treeless and the streets in LA have quite a few trees in comparison to other cities I seen. I think the ocean and the Channel Islands also make LA quite attractive by air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:28 PM

310 posts, read 1,246,599 times
Los Angeles is truly Magical.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:18 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
I was actually thinking about this the other day. There is something that somehow keeps me in LA. It is actually kind of weird, so weird I can't even explain it. I've been living here so long and I've had my frustrations and great times in this city as well. Is Los Angeles magical? That is a good question. I think the most "magical" thing about LA is that I've been here so long that it feels like a special place to me. I remember growing up at a time when the NBA had its Showtime era with the 1980s Lakers basketball team and also that is when Chick Hearn was still alive. Those were some great memories and I still think about them even after all these years.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I was actually thinking about this the other day. There is something that somehow keeps me in LA. It is actually kind of weird, so weird I can't even explain it. I've been living here so long and I've had my frustrations and great times in this city as well. Is Los Angeles magical? That is a good question. I think the most "magical" thing about LA is that I've been here so long that it feels like a special place to me. I remember growing up at a time when the NBA had its Showtime era with the 1980s Lakers basketball team and also that is when Chick Hearn was still alive. Those were some great memories and I still think about them even after all these years.
Then these days are magical too. The Lakers have won five championships with Kobe. There's no Chick Hearn but we might see the day that Lakers get more championships than boston [spits, to cleanse the mouth]. And, we have Vin Scully for one more year and we have Bob Miller.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:44 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
I'll admit LA used to be a magical place. Even as recently as the 1990s there was magic in the air. Now, all gone.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I'll admit LA used to be a magical place. Even as recently as the 1990s there was magic in the air. Now, all gone.
I'll bet that has a lot more to do with the economy, the housing bubble, post 9/11, and the stock market's lost decade than anything else. Most people have had a tough few years with unemployment, lost net worth, higher fuel prices, etc.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:17 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'll bet that has a lot more to do with the economy, the housing bubble, post 9/11, and the stock market's lost decade than anything else. Most people have had a tough few years with unemployment, lost net worth, higher fuel prices, etc.
Those are some of the reasons, yes. Much less optimism now. Very jaded. Reading accounts of people who lived in LA in the 50s thru the 70s, it was a totally different feeling.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Those are some of the reasons, yes. Much less optimism now. Very jaded. Reading accounts of people who lived in LA in the 50s thru the 70s, it was a totally different feeling.
I'm not so sure about that either. There was sort of a dark period in the early 1970s. Nixon, Watergate, Vietnam, racial tensions, the generation gap, gas lines, busing, the stock market. In the early 1980s we had mortgage rates like 15% for a while.

Gas was more expensive then than it is now.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:06 AM

27 posts, read 107,454 times
La is not just concrete and sprawl....have you watched the sun set off Laguna Beach? WOW you will beleive it's magic.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:17 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTrader View Post
La is not just concrete and sprawl....have you watched the sun set off Laguna Beach? WOW you will beleive it's magic.
Laguna Beach? That's in Orange County ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles