Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 03:13 PM

310 posts, read 1,246,449 times

Advertisements

I have visited LA/OC several times. The first was 28 years ago when I was 12. I was immediately in love with the palm trees, the air, and just the feel of the place. It seemed so magical. Recent trips only confirm my love affair with the atmosphere there. Does that ever go away if you live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 03:20 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Not really, in my experience. I moved away two years ago because I had a better job opportunity in Colorado, but I have to agree that LA has an overall look and feel that that really isn't duplicated anywhere else. I'm happier overall in CO, but I still miss living in the South Bay.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:26 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
I have visited LA/OC several times. The first was 28 years ago when I was 12. I was immediately in love with the palm trees, the air, and just the feel of the place. It seemed so magical. Recent trips only confirm my love affair with the atmosphere there. Does that ever go away if you live there?
It'll go away real quick if you get hob-knobbed or car-jacked !

Old 03-20-2009, 03:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
It'll go away real quick if you get hob-knobbed or car-jacked !
And when you figure out how much you really need to earn to pay your taxes and afford a modest middle class lifestyle in a safe part of town with good schools that doesn't require a 3 hour per day commute.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:22 PM

310 posts, read 1,246,449 times
My question is this. If LA was as cheap to live as CO, there would be like 50 million people there. I guess that's not a question, but...you know what I mean?

Old 03-20-2009, 05:57 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
there certainly are downsides to living here (cost is one), but there is also something to say about never having to go outside with more than a windbreaker in the winter or dealing with 90% humidity in the summer.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
My question is this. If LA was as cheap to live as CO, there would be like 50 million people there. I guess that's not a question, but...you know what I mean?
No way will you be able to live in any part of Ca for the same $$s as Colorado..

Yes, there are the magical palm trees, the sunshine, the laid back life style and lots of other wonderful and exciting things in So Ca.. there is also a huge problem with illegal imagration, crime, extremely high cost of living, smog (not as bad as it used to be) high unemployment, traffic jams in every direction and crowds no matter where you go.
Magic, yes, Ca does hold a certain magic and no, it may not go away, or for some. It is almost a world of its own,,still, if you are thinking of re-locating, make sure you do your homework before you make the move...

Nita

Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,940 times
Quote:
No. (although in Los Angeles other things can get in the way of the constant appreciation of it and sometimes made me wonder if it was worth it.) The magic, beauty, and feel is also true of Santa Barbara (in fact I think more so as you get even more of a magical feel in Santa Barbara as you do not have all the cons that go with the density of Los Angeles and at times in the OC.) Additionally Santa Barbara has the magic of the amazing, authentic Spanish/Moroccan/Portuguese architecture that goes with the palm trees, fresh air from the ocean, and adds even more to the "feel of the place" as you mentioned. Having lived in Santa Monica and Los Angeles and also fell in love with the feel you described, I see, now that I live in Santa Barbara, that Santa Barbara is the truly magical place--the epicenter--of the magic you write.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 03-20-2009 at 06:48 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 06:39 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Surreal is the word I'd use, and Los Angeles' problems are part and parcel of that descriptor. The fact that it is decentralized, spread out and not a tidy city probably contributes to its dislocating effect. That makes some people vomit, and others go into a kind of...local wanderlust?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
This is a first. I have never heard Los Angeles or the surrounding metro area referred to as being 'magical.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles