Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,100 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend are moving to CA from Boston after I graduate in May. Her dream has always been to pursue acting, she was accepted to AADA, but was unable to attend because of her financial situation, so we are saving what we can and plan to make the move in mid July early August. She has visited CA before and I myself have never been, so we are trying our best to gather information about the area. We do not have jobs setup for when we arrive, but we have made a few contacts from a gentleman from Ranstadt who will provide us with work till we have time to go on interviews and get situated. We hope to be leaving with at least 10K for both of us and are looking for an apartment around the range to 1000-1500/month. We would really appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions as to nice and safe areas to look for an apartment, we are most interested in the West Hollywood area, Glendale, and Burbank. Also, we plan on driving out there with both of our cars. Thanks for any help in advance. We are open to all suggestions, even if it means living in a different area. My girlfriend also would like to go on auditions as much as she can, so if we had to choose an area to be closest to, it would be one with agencies and what not. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 08:19 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d124168 View Post
My girlfriend are moving to CA from Boston after I graduate in May. Her dream has always been to pursue acting, she was accepted to AADA, but was unable to attend because of her financial situation, so we are saving what we can and plan to make the move in mid July early August. She has visited CA before and I myself have never been, so we are trying our best to gather information about the area. We do not have jobs setup for when we arrive, but we have made a few contacts from a gentleman from Ranstadt who will provide us with work till we have time to go on interviews and get situated. We hope to be leaving with at least 10K for both of us and are looking for an apartment around the range to 1000-1500/month. We would really appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions as to nice and safe areas to look for an apartment, we are most interested in the West Hollywood area, Glendale, and Burbank. Also, we plan on driving out there with both of our cars. Thanks for any help in advance. We are open to all suggestions, even if it means living in a different area. My girlfriend also would like to go on auditions as much as she can, so if we had to choose an area to be closest to, it would be one with agencies and what not. Thanks.
Funny, we are leaving for Boston the same time you might be arriving. You didn't mention what you do which is important if you are dating an actress, especially out here since you will be the prime support. I am not trying to be negative, it is just that there are hundreds of thousands of people trying to do the same thing here without any leads, experience or proper contacts...just following a dream. Ten grand in my opinion will not go far in Los Angeles for two people and believe me, it is more expensive here than Boston!
Now that I have my speech out of the way, most studios are located in the Universal City, Burbank and West L.A. area. Your less expensive choices to live would be Burbank, North Hollywood, or maybe Silverlake area. Most people here will give you many different opinions which is great, but I would also go to these areas and check out them out on line, go to craigslist and check rent, realtor.com, and local papers. It is a big step and a completely different environment here than Boston. Hope you like it and I wish you success in your choices.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,100 times
Thank you very much puffle for your suggestions and comments. I am graduating in May with a Bachelors in Management Info. Systems and a minor in Computer Engineering. I have had many a discussion with my girlfriend about her situation as far as trying to follow her dream. We have come to an agreement that working is our first priority until we are comfortable and situated, and even along the way she can try to do auditions at night or in her free time. We understand that 10K can go quickly, this is the amount we are putting aside to get us started out there, with an apartment, utilities, food and furniture. We will also have our own money saved in our own accounts for our other needs such as cell phone, car insurance/payments, amongst other things. We would just like to figure out how we are going to make this change, and where to go. We want cheap but safe obviously (same thing everyone wants), we are going to drive from Boston and then stay in a Hotel, or with family till we can find an appropriate place, we are hoping to have something ready for when we arrive, but are not in the mindstate to be sending money out there to have something ready before we get a chance to check out the area. With your help and the help of others we hope to have a few places that seem fit, so when we are getting ready to arrive, we have something to arrive to... thanks again for your help.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:12 PM

644 posts, read 3,321,058 times
Puffle is right. You may end up being the provider for quite a long time. When you get here, you'll find young beautiful people coming in from all areas of the country pursuing a similar Hollywood dream. Nearly every bartender and waitress in Los Angeles is working on a script or trying to break into acting. I hope you've put some thought into your own career as well.

Artie

Old 04-01-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d124168 View Post
Thank you very much puffle for your suggestions and comments. I am graduating in May with a Bachelors in Management Info. Systems and a minor in Computer Engineering. I have had many a discussion with my girlfriend about her situation as far as trying to follow her dream. We have come to an agreement that working is our first priority until we are comfortable and situated, and even along the way she can try to do auditions at night or in her free time. We understand that 10K can go quickly, this is the amount we are putting aside to get us started out there, with an apartment, utilities, food and furniture. We will also have our own money saved in our own accounts for our other needs such as cell phone, car insurance/payments, amongst other things. We would just like to figure out how we are going to make this change, and where to go. We want cheap but safe obviously (same thing everyone wants), we are going to drive from Boston and then stay in a Hotel, or with family till we can find an appropriate place, we are hoping to have something ready for when we arrive, but are not in the mindstate to be sending money out there to have something ready before we get a chance to check out the area. With your help and the help of others we hope to have a few places that seem fit, so when we are getting ready to arrive, we have something to arrive to... thanks again for your help.
You are obviously a bright guy and in love so I am sure you know that if you have secured a good job in your chosen field you will be the better off for it BEFORE you get here. Is there a reason you have to be out here this summer or can you stay in Boston until you have a good permanent position here and then come out? I have lived here my whole life and have been around the block a few times so my hope for you is that your own dreams don't go by the wayside while your girlfriend pursues her's which is something I have seen happen way too many times. You seem like such a sweet guy for doing this for her...I hope it is worth it. By the way, we are in a similiar situation in that we have to secure a place to live probably without seeing it first before my son starts high school in the fall. I don't know if you grew up in Boston, but what areas could you recommend with good high schools not to far out in the burbs with good rentals for a family? We were looking at Hingham,Belmont,Needham, Acton and Westford. We lived in Lexington for a year a few years back but it didn't have the train or T and very expensive. Your help is appreciated too!
North Hollywood isn't too bad price wise and close to the city and studios. How much acting experience has your girlfriend had by the way and where do you think you will be working? That would help more in knowing where to advise you on where to live. Please private message me if needed for more info. Puffle

Old 04-01-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
You are obviously a bright guy and in love so I am sure you know that if you have secured a good job in your chosen field you will be the better off for it BEFORE you get here. Is there a reason you have to be out here this summer or can you stay in Boston until you have a good permanent position here and then come out? I have lived here my whole life and have been around the block a few times so my hope for you is that your own dreams don't go by the wayside while your girlfriend pursues her's which is something I have seen happen way too many times. You seem like such a sweet guy for doing this for her...I hope it is worth it. By the way, we are in a similiar situation in that we have to secure a place to live probably without seeing it first before my son starts high school in the fall. I don't know if you grew up in Boston, but what areas could you recommend with good high schools not to far out in the burbs with good rentals for a family? We were looking at Hingham,Belmont,Needham, Acton and Westford. We lived in Lexington for a year a few years back but it didn't have the train or T and very expensive. Your help is appreciated too!
North Hollywood isn't too bad price wise and close to the city and studios. How much acting experience has your girlfriend had by the way and where do you think you will be working? That would help more in knowing where to advise you on where to live. Please private message me if needed for more info. Puffle
Puffle,

Needham is a great place to live. I really liked that area. I went to High School in Hingham. It's very pretty. Good schools, but sort of yuppy-ish and boring. I may be returning to Western Mass over the summer. A friend is traveling in July and August and offered her place for me to stay. I'm just anxious to get out of Los Angeles. I'm tired... :-(

Artie

Old 04-01-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
Puffle,

Needham is a great place to live. I really liked that area. I went to High School in Hingham. It's very pretty. Good schools, but sort of yuppy-ish and boring. I may be returning to Western Mass over the summer. A friend is traveling in July and August and offered her place for me to stay. I'm just anxious to get out of Los Angeles. I'm tired... :-(

Artie
So you would suggest Needham High before Hingham High? Are both areas in the same price point?

Old 04-01-2007, 11:34 PM

Puffle,

I don't know enough to say for sure. I just know that Needham looked like a cool town. It's got a Trader Joes and a Whole Foods! Hingham is sort of boring but it's near the water. I'm sure both places have good schools. You can't go wrong with either. Why don't you fly out there and check around?

Artie

Old 04-01-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
Puffle,

I don't know enough to say for sure. I just know that Needham looked like a cool town. It's got a Trader Joes and a Whole Foods! Hingham is sort of boring but it's near the water. I'm sure both places have good schools. You can't go wrong with either. Why don't you fly out there and check around?

Artie
Money honey.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Money honey.
Puffle,

I know it's a lot of money to fly back and rent a car, but when you're talking about the house you're going to buy and the place you are going to live, it's a worthwhile investment. Seriously, find a cheap plane ticket, rent a car, and spend three or four days in the area. I just got back from a trip to Austin and North Carolina. I don't have the money either, but I do have the desire to leave Los Angeles, and I'm going to do whatever it takes. You don't want to move to Hingham and then think, "Oh, gosh, I really wish I'd moved to Needham instead."

Artie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles