Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,576 times

Advertisements

seinfeld theparkingspace - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 PM

193 posts, read 458,368 times
push the trash can 4 blocks away... they will get the point.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,395 times
Yesterday I moved two trash cans out of a line of five on Centinela in Santa Monica so that I could park my car for more than two hours and go to work. When I came out, I found a note on my car that said "this is your one free pass. don't touch my property again or you will be sorry" and my license plate number recorded on the bottom. It was not trash pick up day, and the cans easily took up two parking spaces on a public road that did not have any parking restrictions save street sweeping days. I called the Santa Monica Police to ask if what I did was illegal and they told me that I had no right to touch someone else's property and that, since they paid taxes, they could put their trash cans wherever they wanted for pick up. Actually, the police officer I spoke with was unsettlingly uncompromising and I am not sure he was completely correct. He kept asking me if I was SURE it was not a trash pickup day. Anyway, be careful about moving trash cans. It is unclear, truly, as in LA proper once you put your cans on the street and off your property anyone can go through them...but the truth is we all pay taxes to live here and should be able to park on a public street when it is legal to do so.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:56 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadanceinstitute View Post
Yesterday I moved two trash cans out of a line of five on Centinela in Santa Monica so that I could park my car for more than two hours and go to work. When I came out, I found a note on my car that said "this is your one free pass. don't touch my property again or you will be sorry" and my license plate number recorded on the bottom. It was not trash pick up day, and the cans easily took up two parking spaces on a public road that did not have any parking restrictions save street sweeping days. I called the Santa Monica Police to ask if what I did was illegal and they told me that I had no right to touch someone else's property and that, since they paid taxes, they could put their trash cans wherever they wanted for pick up. Actually, the police officer I spoke with was unsettlingly uncompromising and I am not sure he was completely correct. He kept asking me if I was SURE it was not a trash pickup day. Anyway, be careful about moving trash cans. It is unclear, truly, as in LA proper once you put your cans on the street and off your property anyone can go through them...but the truth is we all pay taxes to live here and should be able to park on a public street when it is legal to do so.

Wow, I would have written a note on their trash can, 'Duly noted, a-hole at address xxx'.

Avoid parking on that street again. People are territorial nuts.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:04 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,654,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadanceinstitute View Post
Are you one of those people who works at Aaahs, the eyeglasses store, or Omar's Birds? I'm asking because I can understand the frustration of residents. And the officer is correct -- keep your hands off the property of others.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:02 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
There's a street I walk down when I walk my dogs that uses there own orange cones to block parking spaces in front of their houses.... I always wonder how legal that is but no one says or does anything about it.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:38 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
There's a street I walk down when I walk my dogs that uses there own orange cones to block parking spaces in front of their houses.... I always wonder how legal that is but no one says or does anything about it.
Someone used to put out an orange cone in a parking spot at my apartment complex with no assigned parking. Each morning for about 2 weeks I took the cone when I got home from work and put it in a dumpster a block away. The cones stopped appearing after about 2 weeks so I'm guessing they ran out of cones. And no I didn't park in the spot. I just tossed the cones.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,395 times
No. I work for a non profit company as a teacher and was helping students who were being bussed to New Roads School for a performance. And, for the record, I pay taxes too, and am not really on board with people placing their private property (in this case trash cans) on public property (parking spaces) days before trash pick up. On pick days, of course, but any other day should not be an option.

Last edited by californiadanceinstitute; 06-09-2016 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: wanted to add another thought

Old 06-09-2016, 08:57 PM

8,338 posts, read 6,423,253 times
i put my bin out in the morning of pick up day and some a hole moves it up on the grass and then it dosn't get picked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles