Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 PM

167 posts, read 396,341 times

Advertisements

I'll contribute to this discussion in an appropriate manner. I had the misfortune of an excursion to Los Angeles three times. My first time in spring of 2003 (about three to four weeks) was horrific to say the least. While I am impressed with the diversity and similarities to south suburban Chicago, I was frustrated with a lot of things.
The thing that irked me the most would be...the people! Why yes, the people. LA people (usually those with the neutral accents) are idiots! They claim to be better than everyone else. They must thrive to hurt and upset those from other walks of life. No wonder events like the Watts Riots and Rodney King happened; all because of disrespect and above the law attitudes. These neutral English speakers think they are better than everyone else. This was each of three times I was out here. I could define this further but I have too many obscenities to get banned from this forum.
As a result, I am friends with no one from the city of Angels. No one. In Chicago, most people are very friendly and focus on equality. The dating was a joke. Not something to laugh at. The woman were too hot! Either you had the nicely built Hispanic or Eastern European or the beach girl ala Laguna Beach. Speaking of which, I dated a few girls from there in June 2007. That would be the last time I would ever visit southern California.
The problem with that is simple; Sexual promiscuity and spolied rich or middle class morons. The people always brag and tell the poor that just because they are middle class or as rich as an oil well that they are better than everyone else. That is not an attitude I will put up with. And that is why people hate Los Angeles, California. I will never come out here agin. Never. At least northern and central California are better. And there's a lot more to do.
Don't get me started on the driving, the constant police calls, and other commonplace notables such as chases on your freeways.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:08 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedEvergreen View Post
I'll contribute to this discussion in an appropriate manner. I had the misfortune of an excursion to Los Angeles three times. My first time in spring of 2003 (about three to four weeks) was horrific to say the least. While I am impressed with the diversity and similarities to south suburban Chicago, I was frustrated with a lot of things.
The thing that irked me the most would be...the people! Why yes, the people. LA people (usually those with the neutral accents) are idiots! They claim to be better than everyone else. They must thrive to hurt and upset those from other walks of life. No wonder events like the Watts Riots and Rodney King happened; all because of disrespect and above the law attitudes. These neutral English speakers think they are better than everyone else. This was each of three times I was out here. I could define this further but I have too many obscenities to get banned from this forum.
As a result, I am friends with no one from the city of Angels. No one. In Chicago, most people are very friendly and focus on equality. The dating was a joke. Not something to laugh at. The woman were too hot! Either you had the nicely built Hispanic or Eastern European or the beach girl ala Laguna Beach. Speaking of which, I dated a few girls from there in June 2007. That would be the last time I would ever visit southern California.
The problem with that is simple; Sexual promiscuity and spolied rich or middle class morons. The people always brag and tell the poor that just because they are middle class or as rich as an oil well that they are better than everyone else. That is not an attitude I will put up with. And that is why people hate Los Angeles, California. I will never come out here agin. Never. At least northern and central California are better. And there's a lot more to do.
Don't get me started on the driving, the constant police calls, and other commonplace notables such as chases on your freeways.
"Appropriate manner"? You mean a clueless, arrogant, full-of-stereotypes manner? Sounds like you had some bad visits, but a visit is different than living somewhere. LA isn't perfect, but it's ridiculous to believe that the people are somehow fundamentally different from those in Chicago (or wherever). LA is a huge place - there are people of all kinds.

Apparently I was never informed upon moving to LA that it was now expected that I spend my time bragging and bashing those with less money than me.

Everyone is free to decide for themselves whether they like LA or not, but I have much more respect for people who base their decisions on rational things (they don't like the traffic, or they don't like the weather, etc.), than those who base their opinion on broad generalizations of the perceived thoughts, opinions, and "goodness" (or lack thereof) of the residents.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 04-29-2009 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-29-2009, 10:22 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkyone View Post
Or maybe people in LA are too big of wussies to handle a real winter?

Sorry, i'm not from the east coast. (midwest) but I LOVE having 4 seasons. Snow is great and if I get tired of it all I have to do is go on vacation for a week to a warmer place. It's nice to have options.

Although I love the sun I think I would get bored with the same weather 99% of the time.

Just being honest.
Just as easily, an LA resident can say then can take a vacation if they get tired of the mild sunny winters and go someplace that snows...... oh, and they can do that without taking a several hour flight.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:35 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
"Appropriate manner"? You mean a clueless, arrogant, full-of-stereotypes manner? Sounds like you had some bad visits, but a visit is different than living somewhere. LA isn't perfect, but it's ridiculous to believe that the people are somehow fundamentally different from those in Chicago (or wherever). LA is a huge place - there are people of all kinds.

Apparently I was never informed upon moving to LA that it was now expected that I spend my time bragging and bashing those with less money than me.

Everyone is free to decide for themselves whether they like LA or not, but I have much more respect for people who base their decisions on rational things (they don't like the traffic, or they don't like the weather, etc.), but those who base their opinion on broad generalizations of the perceived thoughts, opinions, and "goodness" (or lack thereof) of the residents.
I know you got the memo! I'll have to check the records, but there was a return receipt attachment that came with the official welcome letter. Me and my sister, we work so hard and then people just get all uppity and wanna take away all our benefits and vacation time when just the other day I had to buy my own staple gun! La familia and I should just move to Chicago. I hear the Citizens' Official Attitude Office there has an employee lounge and a capuccino machine.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 PM

Default Is This Clear

Quote:

Everyone is free to decide for themselves whether they like LA or not, but I have much more respect for people who base their decisions on rational things (they don't like the traffic, or they don't like the weather, etc.), but those who base their opinion on broad generalizations of the perceived thoughts, opinions, and "goodness" (or lack thereof) of the residents.
Yes there are people of all kinds. The minorities and poor were nicer than the middle class and the rich. I spent my time in one of your middle class areas. LA has those just like Chicago does. Stereotypical thinking which I did not use would dictate that Los Angeles has little or no middle class areas. By the way, the people I dealt with were soccer moms, super smart but stuck up honor roll students, cheerleaders that thought they were tough and better than everyone else, and tone deaf musicians (namely keyboard players who ruin songs with solemn chords and then disguise it as music). Is it any wonder they have no friends and get ridiculed on a day to day basis. That's my observation of what I saw in your sprawling metropolis in 2003, 2006, and 2007.
Again, I did not like a single person I met during my time in LA. The exceptions were minorities. Those people were nice, even if they were they were section eight. If I used stereotypical thinking, I would have ridiculed them. I have respect for Hispanics and African Americans. Most of them, I am happy to say are spirtual and really tender people.
What's ironic is that the people I talked to in the middle class areas wanted to be my friend. Forever. They wanted to keep in touch and encourage me to "ditch Chicago, lose my accent, dress more professionally, and teach me to be nicer."
They got very emotional, crabby, and even crying when I said I didn't like them. The days I left, one of the cheerleaders wanted to come with me back to Chicago. I got angry at the end of each of my visits that I told her off. I told her to stop being an idiot. These LA people need to learn how to treat those from the east and south with respect. I don't use stereotypical thinking. I actually love the south and cities like New York and Boston.
So, I hope this is more clear for you. I am used to getting criticism from people like you but I simply shrug it off because it's not true. As for the driving, it's worse than Chicago and New York. People in Los Angeles don't know what an arrow is, nor do they know what the phrase "NO TURN ON RED" means.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
This topic has been covered many times before. LA is a GREAT PLACE TO LIVE. I was born here and I plan on dying here (unless I move somewhere tropical or the wife convinces me to move to Paris).

People who say negative things about LA are the ones who:

1. Move here with dreams of becoming a movie start, but end up just waiting tables.

2. People who move here with dreams of becoming a movie star and only have $1000, and no job but yet they want to live in the some of the most desirable and expensive locations - Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, West LA, etc. but when they realize they can only afford to live in areas and apartments with a lot of Mexicans they become LA haters and say how awful and expensive it is.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I know you got the memo! I'll have to check the records, but there was a return receipt attachment that came with the official welcome letter...
I guess as a new arrogant, bragging, neutral-accented, stuck-up, non-spiritual (although unfortunately not rich) Angeleno I just ignored the memo and the welcome letter, seeing as it was was probably written by some emotional, crabby, disrespectful, high-and-mighty city employee.

What does it mean if I'm a native Midwesterner who came to CA via the East Coast? Does someone suddenly become a bad person when you arrive in the state? Must have ignored that memo, too...

And yeah, the driving is worse in LA, but that's why I don't drive.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:54 PM

230 posts, read 599,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
This topic has been covered many times before. LA is a GREAT PLACE TO LIVE. I was born here and I plan on dying here (unless I move somewhere tropical or the wife convinces me to move to Paris).
I understand. I plan on dying every time I drive into L.A. too.

Quote:
People who say negative things about LA are the ones who:

1. Move here with dreams of becoming a movie start, but end up just waiting tables.

2. People who move here with dreams of becoming a movie star and only have $1000, and no job but yet they want to live in the some of the most desirable and expensive locations - Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, West LA, etc. but when they realize they can only afford to live in areas and apartments with a lot of Mexicans they become LA haters and say how awful and expensive it is.
So everyone who dislikes L.A. is a failed actor?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
So everyone who dislikes L.A. is a failed actor?
That seems to be part of the theme for some, doesn't it? Whatever you don't like about L.A. is just a result of your own failures.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:10 PM

Post You Sort of Get It...I Think

Quote:
I guess as a new arrogant, bragging, neutral-accented, stuck-up, non-spiritual (although unfortunately not rich) Angeleno I just ignored the memo and the welcome letter, seeing as it was was probably written by some emotional, crabby, disrespectful, high-and-mighty city employee.

What does it mean if I'm a native Midwesterner who came to CA via the East Coast? Does someone suddenly become a bad person when you arrive in the state? Must have ignored that memo, too...

And yeah, the driving is worse in LA, but that's why I don't drive.
See what I mean? Ignore the truth and focus on lies. I am not crabby, I am usually mild mannered but serious about my lifestyle. I plan on becoming a detective which not using sterotypical thinking is a wonderful occupation. I have a strong Brooklyn accent which is highly admired by people of my kind.

I am happy you realize the truth about LA driving. All else to be said by me is that Angelinos like you love lies. I know people from other parts of Chicago (namely the northeast side which has people like you) that say bad things about the south side.
Guess what, not all of it is bad. Most of it is. The same is true with the LA metro area. I have to go to bed now but remember my words. Good night and I hope to never love LA again. Gimme a "sawsige and uh brat" instead of whatever health food you eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles