Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:15 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times

Advertisements

This was the name of a mini chain I partook of during the 80s and early 90s. Does it still exist? The locations I frequented were Long Beach (on Atlantic IIRC) and Huntington (don''t recall exactly where it was right off hand).

If they are out of business anyone know why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
There was a Russell's on 2nd Street in Long Beach. They had the best burgers. They're no longer there, I don't know if they closed down or went out of business. This was about 15+ years ago.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 PM

I have a theory. Part of it is gentrification which tends to attract a more artsy fartsy crowd who may not appreciate a "good old American" (perhaps even, dare I say, stereotypical "little Iowa" type) resto and instead want some sort of haut cuisine. Then there is the factor of the flood of immigration, whereby the demand for Asian all you can eat buffet, or, more traditional ethnic places, exceeds that of places like Russells. Then there is the health nazi factor, everyone being so obsessive about trans fats. We've experienced the same thing here in the Bay Area, where I've been for about 20 years after leaving the Southland. All the good old places of this type are going bye bye slowly but surely.

Sad to hear Russell's is kaput. I wanted to take my wife there some day. Oh well ...

Old 06-12-2009, 02:03 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
The Lakewood Location(on the north side of Candlewood across from Lakewood Mall) went out of business 5+ years ago. It was good food, but I think competition from places like Hof's Hut as well as the mom and pop's and such was too much.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 16,698 times
I use to go to russells every month in the 1980's. I traveled from houston texas to long beach all the time. Russells was one of the highlights of my business trip. Russells reminded me of the old juicy hamburgers of the 1960's. I happen to have a business card from them. Here are the locations they use to have. All of them in long beach. Bixby knolls 4306 atlantic naples 5656 e second downtown 737 pine. The sad part about it is that they opened up their first store in 1930 ! More things that all of us will dearly miss. Kevin---*

Old 10-31-2010, 09:31 AM

559 posts, read 1,378,939 times
There is a Russell's in Old Town Pasadena:

Russell's Old Town Pasadena

Is this part of the same chain that everyone is talking about in the past tense? This particular restaurant hasn't been in Pasadena for a long time (maybe 10 or 15 years)?

Old 11-13-2010, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 12,992 times
Default Russell's Hamburgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASJUNK View Post
I use to go to russells every month in the 1980's. I traveled from houston texas to long beach all the time. Russells was one of the highlights of my business trip. Russells reminded me of the old juicy hamburgers of the 1960's. I happen to have a business card from them. Here are the locations they use to have. All of them in long beach. Bixby knolls 4306 atlantic naples 5656 e second downtown 737 pine. The sad part about it is that they opened up their first store in 1930 ! More things that all of us will dearly miss. Kevin---*

I worked as the fry cook at the original Russell's in Bixby Knolls the summer of 1970. Russell had just sold the business and was teaching the new owner, Don how to run the business. I started as a dishwasher for $1.80 an hour. One night the cook quit and I stepped in. The place only seated about 20 people when it was full and had a line down the block on most summer nights. Best Strawberry Pie I ever had. First peanut butter pie I ever had. Have never had a burger to match the "double butter burger". I moved out to Orange County before any others were opened and never went back. Did they take over the Hamburger Henry's that was on 2nd street in Belmont Shores?

Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 12,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relser View Post
I worked as the fry cook at the original Russell's in Bixby Knolls the summer of 1970. Russell had just sold the business and was teaching the new owner, Don how to run the business. I started as a dishwasher for $1.80 an hour. One night the cook quit and I stepped in. The place only seated about 20 people when it was full and had a line down the block on most summer nights. Best Strawberry Pie I ever had. First peanut butter pie I ever had. Have never had a burger to match the "double butter burger". I moved out to Orange County before any others were opened and never went back. Did they take over the Hamburger Henry's that was on 2nd street in Belmont Shores?
I'm familiar with Hamburger Henry's in Belmont Shore (not shores). In the 50s it was originally known as The Tam-O-Shanter located on the south/east corner of Roycroft and Second St. I worked there as a teen-ager as a dish-washer. It was a drive-in and the car-hop would pass the dishes in thru a window to the outside. Chuck D.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 12,555 times
My dad started going to Russell's in the 1930's when the first one was across the street from Wilson High School. My family loved its burgers and pies. I was introduced to Russell's in the late '50's. I continued to eat at the various locations, but mostly the one on Atlantic for many years. My dad told me that the owner of Hof's Hut had been a cook at Russells, then started his own business. I didn't know that there was one remaining Russell's, and will certainly try to get up to Pasadena, as Russell's burgers were the best I've ever eaten

Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 PM

Looks like the one in Pasadena is still open. May be the last one in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles