Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:22 PM

491 posts, read 2,290,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I've driven all over Torrance and it's a bit of an armpit to be frank.
Someone who posts that they are desperate to leave California isn't exactly an objective source of information.

Torrance is a great town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 03:41 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
Someone who posts that they are desperate to leave California isn't exactly an objective source of information.

Torrance is a great town.
I've been fairly objective and honest about the different areas of California. I grew up near Torrance. When I was 19, I used to work in the Del Amo mall. I took flying lessons as the Torrance airport. After college, it became my sales territory in a corporate job. I've spent quite a lot of time slugging up and down the streets of Torrance. I never wanted to live there.

And you're right, I do want to leave California. I've been here since the 80s. Not too long ago, Los Angeles was very affordable. It's not anymore. Over a six year period, rents have tripled in price. Smog is bad. Highways are seriously congested. But if you are happy in Torrance, you have every right to stay. I just personally think one can get more value for their money in other parts of the country. Weather doesn't mean much if you don't have time to enjoy it.

Artie

Old 04-25-2007, 04:29 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,346 times
Austin's like Madison, but warmer.

I lived in Wisconsin for eight years, and my family had a home there for a decade prior to that. The winters can most definitely do you in.

You may want to consider Sacramento. It gets very hot in the summer, but I prefer that to the Midwest winters. There are two rivers that run through the area, and a big dammed lake too. The mountains are close, so you can take a day trip to Tahoe if you want. It's great year-round. San Franciso is also drivable for a day trip. A great location!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:22 AM

29 posts, read 78,333 times
Aww - I love Madison - although it would have to be a bigger version which is what I'm sure Austin is like. And thanks for the suggestion about Sacramento! I was actually looking into State jobs in California and a lot of them seem to be located in Sacramento. I'll definitely look into it!

Old 04-26-2007, 02:10 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnaya View Post
Aww - I love Madison - although it would have to be a bigger version which is what I'm sure Austin is like. And thanks for the suggestion about Sacramento! I was actually looking into State jobs in California and a lot of them seem to be located in Sacramento. I'll definitely look into it!
I love Madison, too. Lived there for eight years and, ten years later, I'm lucky enough to be able to still go back every year or so to visit since my sister lives in the area. Austin is Madison bigger and hotter. You really would love Austin. It's on my list of places I could relocate to.

Sacramento isn't near as cool and hip as either Madison or Austin, but has some great things going for it. Home prices are higher than the Midwest, but not near as high as LA, San Diego or SF. It's a very Midwestern-ish type of town, too, but with much better things surrounding it and the weather rocks.

You could most definitely find a nice place in which to raise your son, with good schools with a little research, for $1000-1500 per month.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:22 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
You can find other places in the country with nice weather. I would not recommend raising a child in Southern California.
Why would you deny a child all the social and cultural opportunities here? All I can say is most kids will pick the city over the boonies if given a taste.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:33 PM

82 posts, read 522,124 times
Default In Torrance????

Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
I've been fairly objective and honest about the different areas of California. I grew up near Torrance. When I was 19, I used to work in the Del Amo mall. I took flying lessons as the Torrance airport. After college, it became my sales territory in a corporate job. I've spent quite a lot of time slugging up and down the streets of Torrance. I never wanted to live there.

And you're right, I do want to leave California. I've been here since the 80s. Not too long ago, Los Angeles was very affordable. It's not anymore. Over a six year period, rents have tripled in price. Smog is bad. Highways are seriously congested. But if you are happy in Torrance, you have every right to stay. I just personally think one can get more value for their money in other parts of the country. Weather doesn't mean much if you don't have time to enjoy it.

Artie
"Over a six year period, rents have tripled in price. Smog is bad."????
Artie, you can only be talking about a Torrance in a different part of the world than this one in California. I've lived in Torrance for 27 years and your comments are just plain WRONG. Obviously you have some hidden agenda on why you don't like it here, because your specified reasons don't float. If you want to leave California, leave. How can we miss you if you won't go away? Possibly show a bit more respect for honesty to the people who are considering moving here.

Last edited by Keithns; 04-26-2007 at 04:42 PM..

Old 04-27-2007, 07:20 AM

29 posts, read 78,333 times
Well it sounds like I definitely have to plan a trip down south and out west to do some more research. I like that so many people have positive experiences with Austin because I am not able to find anyone that I know personally who has ever been there.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:21 PM

Hi Keithns,

My comments were directed mainly at Southern California in general. Yes, I've watched rents nearly triple in a short period of time. I moved into my apartment a year ago. I paid $1650 a month. Now I'm moving and my landlord is raising the price again to $1850. Quite a jump! Smog is pretty terrible in Los Angeles. You only have to look at the airplane window as you are landing to see it. I think it's wonderful that you are so happy living in Torrance and want to share it with everyone, however, it's just not my cup of tea. Try not to take my comments too personally!

All the best,

Artie

Old 04-27-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Why would you deny a child all the social and cultural opportunities here? All I can say is most kids will pick the city over the boonies if given a taste.
Sorcerer,

Seriously, what cultural opportunities is a five-year-old interested in? How about quality time with a happy parent? A backyard to run around in? Other kids in the neighborhood? A good school system?

When I was 10 years old my parents took me around the world twice. I visited the Middle East, Europe, and Asia. It was a horrible lonely experience. All I wanted, all I cared about, was getting home to my friends.

Curious. What diverse cultural experiences did you miss out on as a child?

Artie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles