Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:05 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,377 times

Advertisements

I live in Orange County, CA and there is no skyline and no skyscrapers/really tall buildings. Perhaps there is one or two here and there scattered around but there isn't a whole bunch of tall buildings in one concentrated area like in downtown L.A. I think that's part of what I love L.A so much; the tall buildings, it just gives it that exciting, glamorous, city-vibe. When I'm driving down the freeway towards L.A I can already see the tall buildings from my car and it makes me feel so excited, happy and alive for the first time. I always get depressed when I go back home. I don't think I will move to L.A though because I'm afraid of living in a new place where I don't know my way around etc, and L.A has more crime as a whole vs OC (and I'm a super duper paranoid person)... But the skyline and tall buildings are truly magical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 01:07 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
So move to LA and swat away the homeless people asking for change while you're looking at all the big buildings.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
So move to LA and swat away the homeless people asking for change while you're looking at all the big buildings.
I'm scared to move to a new place where I don't know anyone... To be honest I don't really know any people in OC either (I don't have many friends, none actually) but at least I know the area and I feel comfortable since I've lived here for so long. I know the streets, I know my way around etc. It's scary to move to a complete different area. Also, I'm paranoid and there's much more crime in L.A... Everytime I read the latimes "homicides" section there's new people getting shot every day. That doesn't happy as often in O.C. Once in a while it does in Santa Ana but overall it's safer in OC I think.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I'm scared to move to a new place where I don't know anyone... To be honest I don't really know any people in OC either (I don't have many friends, none actually) but at least I know the area and I feel comfortable since I've lived here for so long. I know the streets, I know my way around etc. It's scary to move to a complete different area. Also, I'm paranoid and there's much more crime in L.A... Everytime I read the latimes "homicides" section there's new people getting shot every day. That doesn't happy as often in O.C. Once in a while it does in Santa Ana but overall it's safer in OC I think.
And given your complaints about your current apartment complex, LA probably isn't the place for you anyway.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
And given your complaints about your current apartment complex, LA probably isn't the place for you anyway.
Do you think L.A people are louder and more noisy etc? I don't mind the loudness on Sunset blvd etc and I have heard drunk or homeless people being loud on the streets there but it doesn't disturb me because it's part of the "exciting" vibe of L.A... but if I were to hear the same noise etc in OC it would drive me insane. I think I love L.A so much I could live with noise etc because I would attribute it to the "excitement" and "aliveness" of the big city. I think I just complain about my apartment because I hate living in OC so much.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Do you think L.A people are louder and more noisy etc? I don't mind the loudness on Sunset blvd etc and I have heard drunk or homeless people being loud on the streets there but it doesn't disturb me because it's part of the "exciting" vibe of L.A... but if I were to hear the same noise etc in OC it would drive me insane. I think I love L.A so much I could live with noise etc because I would attribute it to the "excitement" and "aliveness" of the big city. I think I just complain about my apartment because I hate living in OC so much.
LA is definitely denser than pretty much anywhere in OC. More people = more noise. How "exciting" would it be to be kept up at night by drunks outside your window, loud cars, helicopters, sirens, etc?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
LA is definitely denser than pretty much anywhere in OC. More people = more noise. How "exciting" would it be to be kept up at night by drunks outside your window, loud cars, helicopters, sirens, etc?
Yea you're right. I think the "excitingness" would wear out after a month. I guess since I go to L.A once in a great while it seems exciting and fun (even with all the loud noises etc) but if I lived there it would be a different story. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to live in Beverly Hills or the Hollywood Hills or any of the other exclusive nice areas but if I did I think I would find peace and quiet there but still be close to the city and have that city vibe.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:11 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Quote:
I live in Orange County, CA and there is no skyline and no skyscrapers/really tall buildings. Perhaps there is one or two here and there scattered around but there isn't a whole bunch of tall buildings in one concentrated area like in downtown L.A. I think that's part of what I love L.A so much; the tall buildings, it just gives it that exciting, glamorous, city-vibe. When I'm driving down the freeway towards L.A I can already see the tall buildings from my car and it makes me feel so excited, happy and alive for the first time. I always get depressed when I go back home. I don't think I will move to L.A though because I'm afraid of living in a new place where I don't know my way around etc, and L.A has more crime as a whole vs OC (and I'm a super duper paranoid person)... But the skyline and tall buildings are truly magical.
Is the "OC" really that bad? You make it sound like you live in the midwest hell that I do or something. OC can't be too bad, at least the sun shines more than a handful of times per year.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:11 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Keep in mind that there are a wide variety of environments in LA, even in the more affordable areas. There are also many safe neighborhoods. Overall it's certainly more dense and a more urban experience than Orange County, but given that they both run together into one big large urbanized area I guess I don't see that much of a difference between living in LA and Orange County (between specific neighborhoods or cities, yes, but as a whole, not so much.)

As far as noise, we lived in Hollywood for awhile, with a bedroom facing the (very busy) street; my husband had to sleep with earplugs for the first few months, but we got used to it. There are many other streets that are a lot quieter, though.

If you really don't like living in OC, and do want quiet and safe but still much closer to downtown LA or other more classic city areas, there are places that can do that for you. If not, well, you live just a short (relatively) drive or a train ride away, so at least you can easily get in and out to get your city fix when you want it.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Is the "OC" really that bad? You make it sound like you live in the midwest hell that I do or something. OC can't be too bad, at least the sun shines more than a handful of times per year.
Things that are bad about OC for me :

Things I hate about OC

No Hollywood (I love Hollywood and celebs, this is a MAIN PLUS for me for L.A, I love the glamour of L.A), this is probably the #1 thing I like about L.A, Hollywood!

There is no skyline/tall buildings, the tall buildings in L.A give it the city feel.. it feels like living in a small town or in the boonies in the middle of nowhere in OC because it's just all strip malls etc. There is no skyline... it's amazing how much that makes a difference in the way i feel. I actually feel "happier" when around Hollywood (the bright lights etc) and really depressed in OC

It's too suburban, I like the "busy hectic city life"

There is no Sunset blvd (I love the restaurants and the clubs on sunset)

Not as "glamorous" and "exciting" as L.A

More for families and old people, not vibrant young people

OC is suburbian hell. I just hate suburbia. It makes me feel depressed. I don't like the family mini-van thing.. I like fashion, hipness, trendiness. L.A is hipper and cooler.

OC is kinda boring, sometimes it's a bit "too safe", nothing exciting happens here

Too "family oriented"... I really hate that. I want to live in a exciting city where people are pursing acting, stardom, etc It makes L.A so vibrant and exciting.

I went to high school here. I don't want to die in the same area where I grew up. It's depressing. Sometimes I feel trapped in O.C. I'm sure it's
psychological though. Sometimes I feel like I want to start a "brand new life" in a new area and I feel like in L.A I can become another person.

Things I like about OC

Less smog

Good beaches

Very safe compared to L.A, less crime

I know my way around (but I still get lost sometimes. I would REALLY get lost in L.A since I'm horrible with directions)

Easier to navigate streets around OC because the streets are wider, the streets are too narrow in L.A and I don't know how to parallel park (which is required often in L.A) In OC I can easily get by never having to parallel park at all. I think the streets in L.A are just narrower and I get really nervous when driving there... I get nervous going uphill too... Don't have to deal with that in OC. Streets here are big and wide for the most part.

Free parking... Parking in L.A is confusing. Not only does one have to parallel park but often you have to pay. I really hate that. There's abundant parking in OC. That might be the only good thing about this boring place for me.

Last edited by jackie100; 08-23-2009 at 06:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles