Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,224 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am considering moving to Woodland Hills or Encino due to work (will be working in Woodland hills soon). I wanted to know what areas of Woodland Hills & Encino are considered safe. I've heard that staying south of the 101 or south of ventura is a safe area. I'm looking for a smaller apartment complex that is on the quiet side. If anyone has any info/advice, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 02:42 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
I don't know much about Woodland Hills but it's a pretty safe, boring suburban neighborhood though I'm sure someone who's lived there can fill you in better.

The south of 101/Ventura designation for Encino mainly relates to the most expensive homes approaching the Santa Monica Mountains versus smaller homes north of Ventura. It is safe along and north of Ventura Blvd for a while, though I couldn't say exactly how far north.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:01 PM

7 posts, read 23,140 times
I live in Tarzana which is in the middle of Encino and Woodland Hills.

These areas are safe. South of the 101 is safer but I think areas north of the 101 are safe to it just depends of how north you go. I wouldn't want to live north of Victory but thats just me. Check the crime maps.

It is boring at times but we got a new sweet whole foods in Tarzana which has a wine and tapas bar haha.
and you have the Topanga Mall in Canoga Park which is better than the Beverly Center in Beverly Hills in my opinion.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 PM

448 posts, read 1,606,179 times
Having lived in Encino for a short stint and living in Woodland Hills for about a year, I'd say Woodland hills is hotter, but a bit more interesting. Encino really only has Lake Balboa and Ventura Blvd (and not really too much in this neck of the woods). Both neighborhoods are very safe and the areas North of the 101 Fwy are just fine. It is true that the further north you go, the seedier it gets, but depends from block to block. I agree that Victory or even Oxnard would be my cut off point in the West Valley.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:33 AM

155 posts, read 252,666 times
You cannot go wrong with either of the two. However, Woodland Hills is the hottest part of LA county. If most other parts of the Valley is 100 degrees, Woodland Hills will be like 107 degrees.

I lived in both places as a homeowner (not a renter) and think you'll be fine with either. Encino has a very high population of Jewish, Persian-Jewish and more Armenians now. Woodland Hills you'll find a lot more Indian and white. Also note that Woodland Hills is a slightly less expensive area.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 14,385 times
I also grew up in the valley for 20+ years, and will have to agree with the posters above.

You can't go wrong with Woodland Hills and Encino as they are generally perceived by surrounding long-time residents as being generally safe (when compared to adjacent cities)

I've gotten a chance to speak with some of the residents in Woodland Hills recently, and they feel safe enough to walk or jog alone 3 in the morning, without having to look over their shoulders.

Staying south of Victory Blvd is a good rule of thumb, as the more North you drive, the sketchier the neighborhood might be.

However, I would like to add that the L.A. Times recently reported the largest increase of crime (car theft, burglaries, grand theft auto) in the Woodland Hills area for the Valley, during the month of Oct 2010. Whether if this is an isolated incident or a trend is hard to determine.

My 2 cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles