Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,813 times

Advertisements

So this is a pretty broad question but the answer is important to me, as I'm considering taking a job in LA starting January next year. Is LA worth moving to? Is it a city that's improving? Eg, crime going down, gentrification, transit improving, quality of life getting better, etc.? I've been in DC for 5 years or so, and one of the things that has kept me here so long is how the city keeps getting better and better. Neighborhoods that were too rough to visit are now filled with boutiques and cool bars. There's always a gallery opening or some new street art popping up. New transit lines are being built, and the city just announced that they'll be building a comprehensive streetcar network over the next 10 years. We have jobs out the wazoo, nightlife is popping, the art and fashion scenes have taken off, and there's this general feeling like things keep getting better every day.

Now this job is a great opportunity, so I'm really considering giving all this up to pick up and move to LA. The weather doesn't hurt either, as it beats the hell out of our muggy summers and icy winters. But for all the reasons I listed above, it feels like DC is really a hotspot right now, and I'd be kind of bummed to leave it behind. So I guess what I'm asking is, do you guys feel the same about LA? Will I love LA the way I love DC now? Do you always feel like there's some new spot to check out, or some neighborhood popping up?

And what about the economy? I wouldn't need to worry about finding a job, but I'm concerned when I hear things like California is paying bills with IOUs. I don't want to wake up one day and find out that buses aren't running because the city can't pay its bills or something.

Thanks in advance for your feedback...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Have you ever been to Los Angeles?

Old 11-12-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Have you ever been to Los Angeles?
Yup, this past Spring I was out for a quick visit. Stayed in Culver City. Got to see some of the city but it was mainly the touristy stuff and just a couple neighborhoods like Venice and Santa Monica. I didn't feel like I got enough of a gauge of what it would be like to actually live there.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:14 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
If you didn't have a job then the answer would be no, not worth the move. Since you do have the opportunity, then I'd say go for it. We moved from DC due to a job transfer, and I admit that I was worried that I wouldn't like it. I loved DC (except for the summers) and our neighborhood (and its restaurants!), but off we went to LA, and I never regretted it for a minute. It's an exciting place, lots going on, and despite the economy, some things are moving forward; the new Gold Line extension, for one.

On the other hand, while I don't live in LA currently (although still work for a place based in the LA area) the economy really is bad, and at least among my friends, there is a sense of depression on the job front. I know too many people who have lost their jobs or had hours reduced (we left for job reasons). Before you leave your current job to move across the country I'd also be very confident that your LA company is secure, and that your position won't be the first one to be eliminated or have hours reduced if they run into any problems.

All of that said, we would move back if the opportunity were there (I'd probably also be willing to move back to DC, too, for that matter; LA and DC rank up there as two of my favorite cities). It's an exciting city, always new things to check out, different neighborhoods to explore, and always to me felt pretty cutting-edge and connected to the international world in a different way than DC. LA definitely feels like a Pacific Rim city.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:15 PM

89 posts, read 146,194 times
I lived there from 1989-2002 and think it's a hellhole. It would be great for my carreer to move back, but I just can't do it in my 40's. All my friends that live there do so because of work or other circumstances, no one wants to, they all want out.

If you love where you are I wouldn't even consider leaving. If you're under 25 and/or have carreer in the entertainment field my advice may not apply.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:17 AM

689 posts, read 2,583,002 times
If you've got a good job offer with a steady company and are looking for a change of scenery from DC then go for it. The current economy is bad in LA and the rest of California but there is a sense that this is the bottom and we are looking up. The economy will likely flounder at the bottom and we will pull out of this recession later than the rest of the country. There are some bright spots in the area. Crime is down and so far not trending upwards, it will be interesting to see if the new LA police chief can keep this going. Homelessness is down according to some reports. There is a push to improve transit and rail systems with the recent passage of Measure R and federal stimulus funds. California in general is on the forefront of "green" technologies and I think there will be wave of businesses in this category similar to what happened in Silicon Valley.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:26 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
LA and most California cities are in the midst of a prolonged and pronounced decline in infrastructure across all segments: transportation, water, sewer, schools, parks, etc. LA is somewhat better than other cities like San Diego but not much. Most people would say that LA, while gentrifying in some areas, is still in the throes of a decline that has lasted 30+ years.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:31 AM

687 posts, read 1,120,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
So this is a pretty broad question but the answer is important to me, as I'm considering taking a job in LA starting January next year. Is LA worth moving to? Is it a city that's improving? Eg, crime going down, gentrification, transit improving, quality of life getting better, etc.? I've been in DC for 5 years or so, and one of the things that has kept me here so long is how the city keeps getting better and better. Neighborhoods that were too rough to visit are now filled with boutiques and cool bars. There's always a gallery opening or some new street art popping up. New transit lines are being built, and the city just announced that they'll be building a comprehensive streetcar network over the next 10 years. We have jobs out the wazoo, nightlife is popping, the art and fashion scenes have taken off, and there's this general feeling like things keep getting better every day.

Now this job is a great opportunity, so I'm really considering giving all this up to pick up and move to LA. The weather doesn't hurt either, as it beats the hell out of our muggy summers and icy winters. But for all the reasons I listed above, it feels like DC is really a hotspot right now, and I'd be kind of bummed to leave it behind. So I guess what I'm asking is, do you guys feel the same about LA? Will I love LA the way I love DC now? Do you always feel like there's some new spot to check out, or some neighborhood popping up?

And what about the economy? I wouldn't need to worry about finding a job, but I'm concerned when I hear things like California is paying bills with IOUs. I don't want to wake up one day and find out that buses aren't running because the city can't pay its bills or something.

If money is more important to you than quality of life, then move here. It is an entirely different mentality here where celebrities are royalty rather than politicians and sports figures. I think D.C. is an amazing city with so much history and where intelligence is highly regarded. Granted your summers do suck with the humidity but trust me, better weather and new night spots are not good enough reasons to leave a place that you truly enjoy. Besides, in one day you can travel to several states for a change of pace if you live in D.C. California is huge and the closest states to travel to are Nevada and Arizona which you can get to in six hours or less but why?

Old 11-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Thanks for everyone's feedback. From what I've heard so far I'm leaving towards 'no'. LA looks like a really cool city and would be a good change of pace from DC, I've heard enough negative to make me think twice. It would be one thing if this job was offering a ton more money than what I'm making now, but its not. The move would strictly be to try a new city on for size.

I have no doubt that LA will bounce back-- its a megacity..it has to. But given that DC has been so insulated from the recession, it seems like it might be hasty to leave right now.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:36 AM

305 posts, read 771,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

Let's start off with a few of your questions.

1) Crime - L.A. crime is down to a 40 year low. So yes, crime is going down and continues to drop due to gentrification.

Stats Reveal 40-year Low in L.A. Crime Rate - NAM

Quote:
LOS ANGELES — Crime in the city of Los Angeles continued to hit 40-year lows in 2008, a trend which Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and law enforcement officials credited to more police officers and interagency relationships.
2) Gentrification - Yes, many neighborhoods in L.A. are gentrifying. The poster child for gentrification in the '00's is Echo Park, with neighboring Los Feliz and Silver Lake taking claim to that also. Downtown is also rapidly gentrifying with many planned multi billion dollar projects due to be constructed in the 2010's, with lot of it taking place right now. Koreatown is the next neighborhood targeted for gentrification, which will start sometime in the next decade due to the Purple Line going through there and with many yuppies priced out of the Echo Park/Los Feliz/Silver Lake trio seeking urban living.

3) Transit - Our mayor is seeking federal funds to get this off the ground in 10 years. So in other words, by 2020 all these should be operating:

Streetsblog Los Angeles » Villaraigosa Announces Coalition to Speed Up Measure R Transit Construction

Quote:
MAYOR PLANS TO ACCELERATE PUBLIC TRANSIT PROJECTS

“30/10” Will Push to Accelerate Use of Measure R Transit Funding

LOS ANGELES – Promoting his vision for sustainability and an improved public transportation system, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa today announced
that he is beginning to build a coalition to support the acceleration of the 30 years of transit projects included in Measure R into 10 years. The “30/10” program would leverage the $13 billion approved by voters for 12 transit projects to expedite construction and bring jobs
and environmental benefits to LA sooner.

"Thirty years is too long to wait when we can build all twelve projects in the next decade,” said Mayor Villaraigosa. “When we have workers
hungry for high quality jobs, companies that are ready to hire, the dirtiest air, and the worst traffic congestion in the nation, thirty years is just too long.”
In the next decade, L.A. will undergo it's second transit boom.

Quote:
There's always a gallery opening or some new street art popping up.
There's always some sort of new art gallery opening up in DTLA or Hollywood.

And speaking of which, you should really check out Downtown L.A.'s art walk, which is the second Thursday of every month. Very lively and it is a tremendous success with plenty of those new food trucks lined up the next street down. Check out these videos:

Quote:
Neighborhoods that were too rough to visit are now filled with boutiques and cool bars.
Once again, Echo Park/Los Feliz/Silver Lake, Downtown and Hollywood. All of these neighborhoods made tremendous improvements and have a lot of what you're looking for.

Nightlife is basically on the up and up. Hollywood Blvd. revitalized itself this decade with plenty of clubs along the street, Downtown L.A. has a few clubs and bars but overall is steadily improving (especially compared to a decade ago). Sunset Blvd is slowly starting to revitalize itself also with plenty of money being injected in the Sunset Strip starting next year. Nightlife pretty much revolves around DTLA, Hollywood and Beverly Hills but many other neighborhoods stake claim into the nightlife as well, especially EP/LF/SL.

The only problem is that many clubs shut down at 2:00. That's the only downside to the nightlife in L.A., as the last call is 1:30. But there are many after hours spots as well in L.A.

L.A. is the "second fashion capital of America", only beat out by NYC. And even then there's still plenty of new designers popping up in the scene out here, from streetwear to high end fashion.

So is the quality of life improving here in L.A.? Yes..... and no.

It is still expensive to live out here and the job market is terrible. What's happening in California is definitely affecting us here as many people simply cannot find employment, with many individuals still relying on umemployment while unsuccessfully seeking employment.

If you really have job lined up here already, go for it. If you don't stay in D.C. and from what I hear jobs are plentiful out there.

But is L.A. improving as a whole? Yes it is, and I'm glad to witness it improving even further as time passes. You just may love L.A. as much as you love D.C. now... provided you have a job and the money to enjoy all the amenities. But I'm sure when the economy picks up, that will definitely change.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by A.J._in_L.A.; 11-13-2009 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles