Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,547 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm a 24 year old female looking to move from Bellingham to Los Angeles. I'm going crazy here!!! I hate the cloudy/rainy weather, the cold, and the people here - it's just way too small of a town and I want to get away from my family, "friends", everyone. I know it sounds kind of selfish, but that's what I want, a new start. I DON'T want to move to Seattle either...just more clouds and cold depressing weather. Plus most of my family lives there. Winter has just set in here and currently it's about 25 degrees outside - FREEZING!!! I really believe that I will be happier in L.A., where it's warmer, sunnier, and you don't have to worry about packing on a bunch of clothes or blasting the heat in your residence. I've been there twice - and I have to say I really really like it there. It was nice that every day I was there it was sunny and warm. Can't argue with that. I was just there a little less than a week ago and it was in the high 60s/low 70s during the day. While here it was about 35 and now it's dipped into the 20s. I have lived in Washington all my life, had to suffer through very harsh winters through the past 3 years, and I want to get out of here, FAST!!!

Now here's the hard part. I need a job. I don't have one currently, I just graduated from Bellingham Tech and have a Medical Billing/Coding Generalist Certificate, but I have yet to find employment - market is tough!!! Now, I'm willing to get a job just about anywhere down there, at least temporarily until I find something better. But I also realize that it's about impossible to get a job anywhere unless you actually LIVE in the area. Anyone know of anywhere that I can apply that is accepting of out-of-state applicants? I'm so lost!!! Mainly, I wish to move to gain independence from my dad and grandmother who hang over my every move like hawks. Yes, I know that I'm 24 years old and should be independent, but they don't really understand that, especially my dad.

Also, I have just come to realize that my so-called "friends" aren't really people that I wish to be around anymore. They suck up my energy, time and money, and I just want to get away from that. I need a change!!! My only true friend that I have lives in L.A. - he says he loves it there and there are so many things to do as well as many opportunities. Unfortunately, I can't live with him, so I also have to find a place. That's the other hard part. Where do I find a decently priced place that's in an area low in crime and conveniently located? I don't know...I understand that L.A. is very expensive, traffic-ridden and it takes forever to get just about anywhere in the city. However, I am willing to sacrifice a few things just to have that nicer weather and to be independent...that's my goal. So if I have to room with someone that is okay!!! I've been looking on craigslist and found some rooms of interest but no one will respond if I say I'm out of state. It sucks...

Any words of advice on this matter are greatly appreciated!!! I need help!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Moving down to LA without a job first is a big risk. Unemployment is like 11% if you only have schooling and no real work experience it’s going to be really tough finding a job. If I were you I would apply for jobs online and then fly down there for interviews. A good place to start looking for work is LA County. The county owns a bunch of hospitals and the benefits are good. And most of the stuff you mentioned for reasons for wanting to move isn’t good reasons at all, except weather. So I hope this is the right decision and not something you made out of hast because of other people.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:55 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
The Los Angeles area is beautiful in the winter. Have you experienced the hot season yet? (I don't say "summer" because it is longer than just summer.) Worse than the heat is the smog. There's nothing like it in WA.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:47 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
In any cover letters I would make very clear that you can start work immediately (or within a matter of weeks), that you will, of course, pay all relocation costs, and that you will pay your own way to come down for an interview. You'll still have a tough time finding a job (because even people who live in LA are having trouble finding a job), but you can at least do everything possible to make clear that hiring you will not be any more of a hassle or any more money than hiring someone already in the area.

I'd find the job first and then move. Otherwise I'd hold off a little longer, especially if you have somewhere free to stay at the moment. As far as roommates go, I would imagine that it could be tough to find someone if you don't have a job in place (especially now). Maybe that's why people aren't responding? I've had roommates in the past, and I would not have taken a risk on someone without a job, or at least guaranteed financial backing or savings, as I didn't want to be left paying the rent on my own (or dealing with finding a new roommate) if the roommate flaked out and wasn't able to pay his or her share of the rent. Once you have a job you'll know how much you can afford, which would be another reason to wait.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:40 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,192,020 times
Don't move here without a job unless you have someone paying your bills, or have a lot of $$ saved up. At least $10k. Your cheapest housing option will be to rent a room in someone's house, and that is still going to run you what a 1 bedroom apt. probably costs in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles